4.0 out of 5 stars The end of an era.
I liked this book but do not feel it is up to the standard of his previous ones. Some of it is very contrived to fit in incidents which are not exactly relevant to moving the story on. If I was being unkind I would say he's 'scraping the bottom of the barrel' for amusing stories. Perhaps this should be the last in what has been an excellent series of books.
Published 2 months ago by aries

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant but didn't find it very funny
First experience of this author, and was expecting a 'James Herriot' kind of book, humorous and heartwarming. Although it's a pleasant read, descriptive and particularly evocative of the period - the 1980s - but I didn't find it funny. It seems somewhat contrived, with exaggerated characters, unrealistic names, and predictable 'funny' lines. The Yorkshire speech doesn't...
Published 3 months ago by www.forlang.com

4.0 out of 5 stars The end of an era., 30 Jan 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Great as usual, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: Silent Night (Paperback)
Jack Sheffield's books are normally published in January, so I was surprised to find this one out pre-Christmas, but the title does lend itself to the Christmas present market, although it's not a specifically Christmas book.

As usual, we follow the whole school year from September 1984 to July 1985 - covering Jack's 8th year as head of Ragley school. All the usual adult characters are back with a few new ones to add to the mix but it's the children who are at the heart of these books and some of the new 5-year olds are particularly funny this time.

All played out against the mid-80s background of Miners strikes and Thatcher's Britain. A really good enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming & Heartbreaking too, 7 Dec 2013
INITIAL THOUGHTS
I have read some of Gervase Phinn's books that are along similar lines to this so I was really looking forward to reading this book by Jack Sheffield.

MY REVIEW
I was lucky enough to be accepted and to download an e-copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
So the cover shows the scene of a typical school nativity play which is a scene from the book which of course makes the book perfect for it's release prior to Christmas.
So would the cover attract me enough to buy the book? Yes it being "that time of year I'd definitely pick this one up to learn more.
So Jack Sheffield the Author of this book is the headmaster of the fictitious Ragley Village School. However through reading the book we learn this school exists in the North Yorkshire area. I love how the book is set out. At the beginning of each chapter we get the official School Log Book entry, and then you get the "normal" headmasters version of what happened.
The book contains lots of funny stories about the children at the school, as well as their parents, the school teachers etc. There are "laugh out loud" funny ones, "poignant ones", "heart-warming" and "heart-breaking" ones too. I think there really is something in this book to appeal to everyone! I'd say the book would be read by all ages, especially those that are mothers,grandmothers aunties etc.
So did I enjoy the book? Yes, had both tears of laughter and a little sadness at a certain point in the book too. Would I recommend the book? Yes, it's the ideal stocking filler gift to mothers, aunties and grandmothers! Would I read another of this style of book by Jack Sheffield? I think I probably would yes, though I read this one exclusively for reviewing purposes this is the type of book you could dip in and out of.

2.0 out of 5 stars Getting a bit boring, 13 April 2014
bumble (norfolk uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Night (Paperback)
I have read all the Jack Sheffield books about Ragley School and I have to say that I will not bother anymore. The books are set in the the 70s and 80s and to prove that the author has done research on that era, the books are becoming a serious of lists of events and products from that time. If they were removed the story could have expanded further and we could learn more about Jack and Beth and the oh so sneaky Laura,.and the children at the school. Gervaise Phinn this isn't. That author manages to convey the time that his books are set in without the catalogue list.
I was disappointed for that reason alone,

4.0 out of 5 stars another chapter in school!, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Silent Night (Paperback)
I have enojyed all the Jack Sheffield books,( even though they bear a strange resemblance to Gervais Phinn) but with different characters, and well-drawn plots. Some characters are so amusing, and other quite poignant. Waiting for the next instalment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jack Sheffield - Silent Night, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Silent Night (Paperback)
The latest in a long line of lovely gentle books about the school, the children, parents, staff and members of the village. An absolute delight as always. Recommended book and author. Looking forward to the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great books, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: Silent Night (Paperback)
As usual I couldn't put this book down all of jacks books are like this. I highly recommend them all and are waiting for his new one. Keep on writing jack

5.0 out of 5 stars another brilliant read, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: Silent Night (Kindle Edition)
Have really enjoyed reading this and the other jack Sheffield books. I hope he writes more as I want to know what happens to both jack and his wife Beth, her sister and all the other wonderful people he wrote about. Let's hope we don't have to wait long for the next book. X

5.0 out of 5 stars Another gripping read!, 22 Mar 2014
This review is from: Silent Night (Paperback)
I have read all the books in this series and I have thoroughly enjoyed them all. Silent night continued this enjoyment. Jack Sheffield is a talented writer who grips the reader from the first page. His stories of childhood innocence and the changing teacher profession really make me appreciate the job I do and remind me why I became a teacher. The way he manages to incorporate the challenges of teaching and family life is brilliant. I would recommend this book and I eagerly await the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Read, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: Silent Night (Paperback)
I read my first Jack Sheffield books last year when I picked up two books by this author at my local library and couldn't put the books down, and since then I have kept reading them. As I enjoyed them so much I pre ordered Silent Night and I wasn't disappointed once again when I read it, many of the familiar characters are still here and I love the way the book is written with the school log book at the beginning of each chapter. I was a teenager in the 1980's and can remember fondly many of the things that are included within the story, eg Trivial Pursuit, Band Aid etc.
I would really recommend this book it is enjoyable, funny and I can't wait for the next book in the series to be written and published.

ARRAY(0xa6a5fee8)

Silent Night
Silent Night by Jack Sheffield (Paperback - 5 Dec 2013)
8.39