5.0 out of 5 stars An admirable and moving memoir
While I must admit personally to having blown hot and cold so far as the Blair and Brown governments were concerned I always regarded Alan Johnson as one of the few members of those governments who combined integrity, honesty and a deep-rooted sense of fairness with the character of an authentically nice bloke. My liking and respect for the man is enhanced by this book,...
Published 22 months ago by Andy Gudge

3.0 out of 5 stars A Heart Warming Tale
Any tears were wiped away by long laughs. A wonderful tale written by a "real" person! Thank You Alan Johnson!
Published 10 months ago by E. K. Browne

‹ Previous | 140 41 4296 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood memories, 14 Sept. 2014
This review is from: This Boy (Kindle Edition)
This book highlighted the gap in the present state of the government today. My childhood memories of the real poverty that existed in my world are reflected here. I was sorry to see Alan GO from government and I think it is a pity there are no more like him. I can't wait for the next book

4.0 out of 5 stars This Boy, 15 Jan. 2015
This review is from: This Boy (Kindle Edition)
Very easy to read and it portrayed the dreadful situations and conditions which some families had to endure. Alan Johnson, his sister and particularly their mother faced such terrible hardships but had such a great sense of honesty and integrity. What a wonderful bond they all shared.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational, 12 Dec. 2014
This review is from: This Boy (Kindle Edition)
I found this book compelling reading.it brought back memories of 50s and 60s childhood which I share with the author,but in very different circumstances. The strength of the human spirit and what positivity and commitment can achieve in truly dire circumstances were inspirational .

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, well written and an insight to real ..., 21 Dec. 2014
This review is from: This Boy (Kindle Edition)
Excellent Book, well written and an insight to real poverty. What a pity Alan didn't run for leader of the Labour party, he would have been the right choice as he has really seen life from both sides. I look forward to reading his next book. A wonderful Prime Minister we never had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Alan I was born in W10 and grew up ..., 26 Nov. 2014
This review is from: This Boy (Kindle Edition)
Like Alan I was born in W10 and grew up in W11 from the age of 5. The book brought back lots of memories (mostly good, some not so good) of growing up in Notting Hill. The book was very well written, describing life just as I remember it. I would highly recommend reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly beautiful book. Not political, 30 Aug. 2014
This review is from: This Boy (Paperback)
A truly beautiful book. Not political, just a story of a young boy growing up in appalling circumstances but emerging from them as a well balanced young husband and a future Secretary of State. The writing is compelling, I found it difficult to put down. I thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delivered following day! A first for me. This ..., 25 Aug. 2014
This review is from: This Boy (Paperback)
Delivered following day! A first for me. This small company deserves to thrive
Contents of book were exceedingly well written. Once started I couldn't put it down. I must check to see if Alan Johnson has written more books since 'This Boy' because I will certainly buy them.

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I discovered this book, 23 Mar. 2015
This review is from: This Boy (Paperback)
This is a very well written autobiography and one in which I could imagine the homes and streets talked about. The photos were a bonus too. Alan Johnson did not have an easy childhood but he does not complain about any of his deprivations. What a resourceful girl his sister was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 15 Jan. 2015
This review is from: This Boy (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book not really knowing what to expect but was very pleasantly surprised. An excellent read, well written, illuminating,, sad and heart wrenching. Very descriptive account not only of the author's life but also of the times he lived through. Would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have read in a long while, 15 July 2014
This review is from: This Boy (Paperback)
I had to keep putting this book down because I could no stop crying, I wanted to envelope that little Alan in my arms and give him a big hug. There was shades of my own childhood, so raw, so real. One of the best books I have read in a long while, I was gripped, truly fantastic.

‹ Previous | 140 41 4296 | Next ›

This Boy
This Boy by Alan Johnson (Hardcover - 9 May 2013)
Used & New from: £3.17