4.0 out of 5 stars Good but...
I really enjoyed the book. Paul keeps you engaged and turning the page.

Published on 23 Oct 2012 by Tony

3.0 out of 5 stars I feel let down and a little cheated
Having read both At my Mothers Knee and The Devil Rides Out, I couldn't wait for this installment.

Published on 18 Oct 2012 by Kevin T

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but..., 23 Oct 2012
This review is from: Still Standing: The Savage Years (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed the book. Paul keeps you engaged and turning the page.

I have to agree with Kevin though. The book ends just as he is about to hit the big time and I would have liked to hear about some of the showbiz parts of his life and more about his relationship with Murphy. He says that there won't be another book. Then again, he said he wouldn't do Lily again and he would never return to ITV.

I would still recommend buying the book! Not only is the book touching but very funny too.

5.0 out of 5 stars COULDN'T STOP READING, 12 Oct 2012
Mr. C. Mcintosh (Reading, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Still Standing: The Savage Years (Hardcover)
Downloaded on my kindle on day of release - finished in 3 hours, couldn't stop reading. He's such an involving writer = draws you in and takes you on all the laughs and trials too. Wish kindle showed the photographs in books too as would have helped bring it to life. Third volume and the best so far. Hope it doesn't end here!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad somebody wrote this book, especially Paul O'Grady, 18 Oct 2012
Roy A Ellor "Roy Ellor" (Salford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Still Standing: The Savage Years (Hardcover)
This book did a rare thing. It made me cry.

Oh so much more than the third part of Paul O'Grady's memoirs. This book sums up a period in time which was almost like fighting a war against ignorance and bigotry, and the generals were the drag queens in places like the Vauxhall Tavern. Lily Savage was the brigadier. Ruling the stage at the venues Lily packed out whenever she appeared, this volume covers the emergence from mime drag acts of Lily as a live patter artist up to the period when she hit the big time and started appearing on TV. There's a fourth book waiting in there and I hope Paul writes it.

Where he takes the reader into uncharted waters is that period in the 1980s when HIV and AIDS started to claim the lives of young, frequently inexperienced gay men. One passage concerning a young lad who was positive after just two sexual encounters, and visiting him in hospital as he lay there blind and crippled, made me shed a few tears for all the lost souls of the time when nobody had an answer or a treatment to offer. Paul (and Lily) did the charity events, visited the sick in hospital and even performed on the wards. The drag queens and performers in the community really did lead from the front, and later seem to be written out of the history by the professional right-on crowd who assumed the mantle.

Lily was a tower of strength to the London gay community and this book needed writing, a testament not just to Ms Savage but everyone else who trod the boards in that turbulent and frequently horrific era. Read this book and you'll see just how much more there was (and still is) to Paul O'Grady and Lily Savage.

Oh yes, it's funny too. Very.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartfelt, 31 Oct 2012
I must say I am surprised that some have found Paul O'Grady's recent book "boring". I could not disagree more. After reading the first two I just could not wait to get my hands on the third and am so glad that I did. I find when you are reading Paul's books, you can hear his voice, they just seem so honest and you really are in the moment with him. There were some really touching times in this book - as there were in the last two - his heart was on the pages when he talked about those friends and family he has lost over the years, truly touching. I am at present "laid up" and "taken to me bed" in the words of one Mrs O'Grady recovering from an op which rendered me with stitches, I must say that Mr O is taking full responsibility if they split due to my laughter from reading this book ! I totally loved hearing about Lily's journey as well, I wont say too much in case other reviewers haven't read it yet. Well done Paul, I believe these books show you for the funny, intelligent, caring and wonderful person that you are.

3.0 out of 5 stars I feel let down and a little cheated, 18 Oct 2012
This review is from: Still Standing: The Savage Years (Hardcover)

As is usual with his writing, O'Grady draws you in and gets you really involved in the story, leaving no detail out. He can remember the minutiae of a conversation that happened 20 years ago, what he ate, what he wore etc... With this in mind, as I was reading the book I noticed that at 2/3 of the way through, he still really hadn't touched on Lily and how she hit the big time.

There is a lot of detail in there about his formative years in the pubs and clubs and all of this is very interesting, but just at the point where he's starting to get really noticed and getting TV work, the book jumps to 2012. He say's he's missed all the stuff out about Lily as he didn't think it was relevant!

I felt really disappointed. I'm a huge fan both of Lily & O'Grady and while it's been fascinating learning about his influences and where he's come from, I feel that more of this book could have been devoted to his time spent as Lily. She is/was such a huge part of his life, I find it incredulous that he would just miss it out.

He states in the book that he's not writing any more biographies, however, the cynic in me suspects there will be another best seller on the shelves in time for December 2014. And whilst it irks me to say it, I sincerely hope there is as without the Lily years, the story of his life will not be complete.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia, 24 Nov 2012
This review is from: Still Standing: The Savage Years (Hardcover)
I was there in the audience experiencing Lily & all his cabaret friends first hand back in those night clubbing days in the 80's & it's magical reading about it now. Dear Paul. A wonderful, wonderful read & hilarious. I don't think he's the sort to brag about his big showbiz tv career but sticks to the basics where he started, doing the hard graft. He's down to earth & grounded & that's why he skips straight to the present. But please, please write just one more autobiography,Paul. You have a wonderful gift. xx

5.0 out of 5 stars A must!, 31 Oct 2012
The best books I have read in a very long time. Honest, very funny and heart warming in parts. Thanks for a few really good nights in!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia at it's best, 31 Oct 2012
This review is from: Still Standing: The Savage Years (Hardcover)
I wish I had seen Lilly at the Vauxhall Tavern. My sister still lives in Vicky Mansions and so i can put into pictures Paul's stories of when he lived there. I loved reading about his life and times. Very nostalgic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rollercoaster Ride, 27 Oct 2012
This review is from: Still Standing: The Savage Years (Hardcover)
Very well written, expect sadness and well as giggles. The journey takes you through highs and lows of Paul's life, so much so I found my eyes and stomach tensing when the going got really tough for him. Not many writers can impart that type of feeling into their words, the reader feels they are sat on the back seat while watching him on the ride. Oh and packed with sizzling gypsy's and plastic carrier bags as head scarfs.

5.0 out of 5 stars You just can't put it down, 25 Oct 2012
This review is from: Still Standing: The Savage Years (Hardcover)
This book is a great read. It makes you realise how hard O'Grady grafted over the years to get to where he is now. Brilliantly written and well worth the money spent on it. I would strongly recommend reading this book. Although this is supposed to be the last one I am hoping there will be another because all three books make great reading and are thoroughly entertaining from lots of laugh out loud moments and moments that make your eyes well up.

Still Standing: The Savage Years
Still Standing: The Savage Years by Paul O'Grady (Hardcover - 11 Oct 2012)