5.0 out of 5 stars One book - two different titles!
Published 6 months ago by f aldous

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I wish the writer would abandon Lacey Flint and return to her original format of stand-alone thrillers. To have characters from earlier novels such as Sacrifice and Blood Harvest can complicate matters for the reader. While Dana comes over as an interesting and enigmatic character in Sacrifice, she seems very pedestrian and at times downright annoying in the Lacey Flint...
Published 10 days ago by Greg O'rilla

5.0 out of 5 stars One book - two different titles!, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: Lost (Paperback)
BEWARE!!! Although this is an excellent book as we have come to expect from Ms Bolton, don't make the same mistake I did. I ordered this book thinking it was a new release - the advertising certainly gave that impression - but it is actually the same book as "Like This For Ever" but with a different title, presumably for the American market although this was not mentioned on the website. I now have to go to the trouble of sending it back. Not impressed!

5.0 out of 5 stars the lost boys, 20 April 2013
maggiefb (Famagusta, Cyprus) - See all my reviews
I can't resist new books, but that means I have to go back to the beginning of the series - and I'll be doing that with this one!
D.I. Dana Tulloch is leading the investigation by Lewisham's Major Investigation Team into the disappearance of five young boys aged between eight and eleven. Two bodies have been found so far, by the Thames. Then the twins are found - like the others their bodies have been drained of blood but otherwise unharmed. A profiler works with the police team, and there are some suspicions that the killer could be a woman.
Detective Lacey Flint is on sick leave, but can't help herself becoming involved in the investigation taking place so near where she lives. Also fascinated is eleven-year-old Barney, her neighbour, who wonders why his dad is always out of the house when the boys go missing. One contributor to the Facebook page seems to know too much about the latest developments in the case.
I couldn't put this down, and suspected all the main characters (and several minor ones) during the course of the story. Though I don't know London well I felt very familiar with the riverside areas by the end of the story, and can add this to the geographical knowledge gained through my love of crime fiction: Edinburgh, Glasgow, South-East Scotland, Yorkshire, Nottingham, the West Country and even Denmark and Sweden!
Definitely five stars - and as this is the fourth of the books featuring Lacey Flint and her team I have three books to read as soon as I can!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent read., 28 May 2013
Ella Thomas (Shropshire, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Like This, For Ever: Lacey Flint Series, Book 3 (Hardcover)
I first came discovered SJ Bolton from a recommendation for " Dead Scared" in Good Housekeeping magazine last year. How fortuitous was that casual perusal of a magazine at the hairdressers, as I have now read all of her books, albeit in the wrong order! I eagerly awaited the release of Like This, For Ever and I wasn't disappointed; definitely up to scratch. Being a romantic at heart, I can't wait for the next book and the progression ( hopefully) of the Flint/Joesbury relationship. I have found the conclusion of all her books incredibly exciting and never has the phrase "page turner" been more applicable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Originality, 1 Jun 2013
S J Boltons first books were each totally different while being equally compelling which is why I have headed this 'originalty'. Even though here recent books have the same characters the story lines are so different and retain that originality. They are also however dealing with what are current concern in real life and this gives a sharp edge to the story line and peoples personal dilemas. Altogether a gripping formula beatifully constructed. (perhaps that should be my heading)

5.0 out of 5 stars "Blood will have blood...", 9 April 2013
FictionFan (Kirkintilloch, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Lacey Flint's third outing shows Bolton at her best - inventive plotting, great characterisation, plenty of humour, much of it black, and a sense of tension that builds throughout to a thrillingly dramatic climax. (I say third outing, but it's really the fourth if you count the short novella If Snow Hadn't Fallen, in which we first met Barney, Lacey's young neighbour.) The book starts with the discovery of the body of twins under Tower Bridge, the most recent victims of a serial killer who steals young boys and cuts their throats. The MIT squad, still led by Dana Tulloch, is getting nowhere fast - these murders don't fall into the normal pattern as there's no sign of a sexual angle. Dana and the squad are already feeling the pressure and it's going to get worse...

Meantime DC Lacey Flint is in a bad way psychologically after her horrific experiences in the last book, Dead Scared, (I'm not surprised - I'm still pretty shaken up over that one myself!) and hasn't yet returned to work. Spending more time at home, she's getting to know young Barney better, and is concerned that Barney seems to be left alone a lot while his dad is working late. But Barney and his friends are more fascinated than frightened by the killings and are following every twist and turn in the investigation on social networking sites.

In this outing, with Lacey being outside the main investigation, we get to know the rest of the team better and the book is much more of an ensemble piece. Lacey is still trying to deny her feelings for DI Joesbury, but he's not planning on giving up on her just yet. Added to the usual characters are Barney and his friends, and Bolton handles them brilliantly - they're completely convincing in their interactions with each other and with the various adults, and add a lot to both the humour and the tension. And when I say tension, I mean nail-biting, spine-tingling, up-till-4 a.m.-because-you-need-to-know-how-it-finishes tension!

One of the things I enjoyed most is that there's an old-fashioned whodunit at the heart of this very contemporary book. Bolton gives us all of the clues and a huge cast of suspects, and then uses her consummate skills in the art of misdirection to keep us guessing. I suspected everyone in turn, many of them twice! But Bolton still managed to keep me on tenterhooks right up to the thrilling end. A great addition to a great series - highly recommended!

NB This book was provided for review by the publisher.

5.0 out of 5 stars S. J. Bolton never disappoints!, 7 May 2013
The only problem I have with books by S. J. Bolton is..........finishing them! I never want them to end because I know I'll have to wait so long for the next one! She never disappoints! Her books are atmospheric, which I think a lot of authors miss the boat on. Wonderful read if you like British authors (wonderful read even if you don't!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Rivetting read, 4 May 2013
As usual S.J.Bolton has produced a great page turner,I have enjoyed all of her books.When I first started Like This,For Ever I wasn't sure it was going to grip me but it did.Sorry to have finished it because I have to find another book to grip me like this one did and that's not always possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read!, 16 July 2014
Jennifer "Jen" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The third book in the series, Like This For Ever picks up a few months after the previous book ( Dead Scared) ended. Detective Lacey Flint is on sick leave recovering from the traumatic events that took place in the previous story and whilst contemplating her future, the last thing she wants to do is get involved in another case. However, as young Barney lives right next door to Lacey, she finds herself once again becoming involved despite not officially being at work and another intriguing story unfolds, brilliantly written by the author Sharon Bolton, who previously went by the name S.J. Bolton.

I will point out here that this novel works equally well as a stand alone novel too. Indeed I did not realise until recently that there actually was a Lacey Flint series as Bolton has written some stand alone novels too. I actually read the second book first and thoroughly enjoyed it before realising there was a another book before that and so then read that one too before seeking out this 3rd novel. Therefore I have read these books in the wrong order and it has not hampered my enjoyment at all.
Here in LIke This For Ever, Bolton once again produces a story you will find difficult to put down. It all takes place in London around the Thames and there are more than a few twists before the killer is revealed. I found I had a few suspects at varying points and still could not predict the ending. The story was a riveting read and held my attention throughout and there was still a surprise at the end.

The story touches on some very up to the minute themes such as the obsession with vampire culture and the use of social media to give opinions, information and news. Indeed Facebook plays a key part in the story and I think Bolton handled this aspect perfectly.
The writing flowed and I enjoyed every character. Leading the investigation once again is Dana Tulloch, who also featured in the previous book and psychiatrist Evi Oliver also makes a fleeting appearance here again too.

Bolton packs short punchy chapters with plenty of supense and intrigue and excels at character development in my opinion which is why I am thoroughly enjoying these Lacey Flint novels. Sometimes her books seem so real, because of her knack for storytelling, intrigue and ordinary characters which she develops so well, to make them all interesting.
Whilst Lacey isn't exactly a greatly likeable character, Bolton has certainly made her interesting and intriguing enough and the continuing chemistry running between her and DI Mark Joesbury makes for good reading too. It sees me willing their relationship to develop further as it is always teetering on the edge as they dance around their mutual attraction to one another.
Will they ever get it together? Whilst sometimes I wish they would, other times I wonder if it would spoil my enjoyment of these books, so I think I am happy with the way it is now, but will be equally ok with wherever the author decides to go with these two characters in future books, as I am sure she will handle it well enough.

The young boys (and girl) which feature in this book as Barney's friends as well as the character of Barney himself were a joy to read about. Sometimes when a story focuses around children the author can seem out of touch at times, but these characters were thoroughly believable and enjoyable. Barney is a great character, I could almost feel his anxiety at times and I felt the author really got inside his head to produce not only an intriguing young boy, but also an excellent twist which added to the suspense.
I read this book whilst on holiday and finished it in two days. If I had been home I probably would have wanted to read it in one sitting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent dark, gritty crime thriller with some real twists., 10 April 2013
JK "Julie K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Like This Forever features DC Lacey Flint, MIT squad, and follows on from Bolton's previous novel Dead Scared. Lacey is still reeling from the trauma she suffered in Dead Scared and hasn't returned to the force when the bodies of young children are discovered. When her team is called in to investigate without her how will Lacey cope? I think this angle will divide S J Bolton fans. Without Lacey being centre stage, the other characters are developed more strongly and the reader sees the plot from outside the investigation. Like This Forever isn't yet another 'Lacey Flint' novel, though she's at it's core, and is trying harder to be a more generic police procedural. Many of Bolton's surreal angles from previous novels have disappeared and been replaced with more solid events. There's a great sense of tension as the killer quickens his pace and the body count rises. I particularly enjoyed a glimpse at the inner workings of the MIT squad and their frazzled, stressed but wonderful boss Dana Tulloch. Enjoyed the 'heat' from Lacey's long term love interest, another DI, which adds a little spice to the plot. Plenty of cat and mouse as time begins to run out and the finger of suspicion points each and every way.

Personally, I enjoyed Like This Forever though it's perhaps not the most original plot. However; this novel has all of the elements I look for in good crime fiction and is an excellent blend of disturbing, dark and gory themes. I'm more than happy to overlook a few minor niggles and head right for a 5* review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crime Melodrama., 16 Jan 2014
Not many crime thrillers justify close to 500 pages; this one emphatically does.

It is not easy to place in terms of the usual crime fiction headings. It is not really a police procedural, not least because the narrative is driven principally by a young boy. One of the many attractions of this novel is the way in which it features young people in central roles without lapsing into either sentimentality or into stereotypical two-dimensional figures plucked from patronising generalisations about children in current society. Certainly one of the things I found most refreshing about the book is the natural and convincing way in which intelligent and articulate children hold our attention.

It is via the shifting perspectives on events that Sharon Bolton ratchets up the tension. As twist follows twist the suspense builds ever upwards without weakening towards the highly dramatic ending. It is, perhaps, in the nature of a crime melodrama. The sharp, physical actuality caught up in the action centred along the Thames (almost Dickensian in the powerful atmosphere evoked) and the natural dialogue coexist with a spiralling plot that holds effortlessly our willing suspension of disbelief.

All takes place against a network of human relationships that in itself compels our absorbed interest. This is, I believe, the third book in the series and if there is a weakness it is that the character of Lacey remains rather shadowy, largely realised through less than explicit references to her traumatic experience before the events here begin. Nonetheless, this is a minor criticism of a crime novel that is beautifully written and is a compulsive page turner. I shall certainly now read the earlier novels.

Like This, For Ever: Lacey Flint Series, Book 3
Like This, For Ever: Lacey Flint Series, Book 3 by Sharon Bolton (Hardcover - 11 April 2013)
9.09