on 16 August 1999
After making just three recipes from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook -- the Outrageous Brownies, the Fresh Corn Salad, and the Parmesan Smashed Potatoes -- I know I can trust the recipes in this delightfully designed, gloriously photographed paean to good cooking. Co-workers and friends could not stop enthusing about the brownies, which many claimed were the best brownies they'd ever tasted, and dinner guests went back for three helpings of the potatoes. As some have pointed out, this is NOT low-fat cuisine -- but neither is a Big Mac and an order of fries, which would leave one infinitely less satisfied than the dishes here. So, when taste is your primary concern, trust this invaluable resource from Ina Garten -- I know I will for years to come.
on 8 April 1999
The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook was entertaining to read cover to cover. It was easy to read in an hour, and I often caught myself mentally planning to use several recipes and ideas. The side notes are very helpful in making the recipes successful and simple. Most recipes were ones that I would use for special family events and for entertaining. The best cookbook that I've read that includes detailed descriptions in parenthesis with the ingredients listed in the recipe. I enjoyed the forward by Martha Stewart and the intro from Ina Garten. The photos were vivid and personable. The sources are listed for specialty foods also. If you like to cook simple specialty dishes for family or friends, this is a cookbook to read and use. Ina Garten's book is not just your ordinary cookbook.
on 4 July 1999
The joy I have experienced in reading The Barefoot Contessa's cookbook is truly fantastic. I love the way it is formatted, the photographs, which I consider a necessity and the variety of recipes. One of the first things I tried, was the coconut cupcakes and the salmon salad.....both hard to beat and I highly recommend them.!!!! Add this book to your collection...its truly not to be missed.
This review is from: The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook (Kindle Edition)
I have been an Ina Garten fan since I saw her first cooking show on PBS. She then moved to Food Network, and her cookbooks have become very well read. This was over twenty years ago, and I own every cookbook she has written. Some of her recipes are updated, using a little different ingredient, like her famous brownies! However, everything I have made from her cookbook is delicious!

Garten started with her own cooking and baking store in the Hamptons. As soon as she became famous the store became too much work and she had the television shows and cookbooks. However, people still remember her dishes. Her Indonesian Ginger Chicken is one item requested over and over. That recipe is contained in this cookbook.

The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook has more than 160 photographs that match the recipes in this book. The Pan-Fried Onion Dip has come back into fashion with carmalized onions and sour cream. Tomato soup is created from oven-roasted tomatoes and fresh basil to intensify the flavors. The meatloaf could be healthier if you make it with ground turkey, but ground turkey is an anathema to me. Her brownies are to die for, which ever recipe of hers that you use.

I have learned from Ina Garten teaches how to entertain with style. She gives us anecdotes and suggestions for giving cocktail parties. And, accompanying these suggestions are recipes and pictures. These are mouth watering and taste as good as they look.

There is not a down aspect of this cookbook except you can't make all the recipes at the same time.

Recommended. prisrob 10-02-13
on 12 April 1999
I love the layout of this book but I have made three recipes out of this book already and had problems with two. The pan-fried onion dip was delicious but extremely heavy. The coconut cupcakes were good but cut the frosting recipe in half and the sun dried tomato dip does not need the extra salt. I also feel the this book was too expensive for the amount of recipes you get. Visually stunning, but wait until it goes on sale to buy it.
on 13 July 1999
What a beautiful cookbook. I love the photos as much as the recipes. I have only had it for a week but it is fast becoming my favourite. Last night I made the roasted eggplant dip and let me tell you the smell whilst it is cooking is sublime and the taste matches it. I have tried the beef bougonone (spelling?) and that too is to die for. My boyfriend wants to marry me he's so impressed with the results.
on 8 August 1999
The visual presentation is wonderful. I tried the sun-dried tomato dip(using low-fat whipped cream cheese), and the hummus as a dip. It's 3 days after the party and I am still getting thank you's from people who attended the party. So - Thank you Ina. Can't wait to out the rest of the book.
on 16 April 1999
Clearly the best cookbook in a very long time. I tried several recipes (baked ham, grilled lemon chicken, coconut cupcakes, scones, and spinach pie)...and they all came out perfect. I hope the author Ina Garten is working on the second book because the only drawback is the very limited amount of recipes in the current book. The book is truly a blessing to have in your own kitchen. Have fun!
on 8 April 1999
I just got The Barefoot Contessa from Amazon two days ago. The first thing I did was flip through and look at the photos and recipes. There are pictures at the beginning of the book showing exactly what Ina means when she says "small dice" or "chop", narratives that set the mood for each chapter, and margins on each page to make your own notes about the recipes.
These recipes are generally pretty simple: the list of ingredients is short, and cooking instruction is clear and basic. Each recipe is written on no more than two pages. I've only had time to make one recipe--Banana Crunch Muffins, which are delicious. I'm off to a good start.
This is the first cookbook I've bought where at least 75% of the recipes really appealed to me. That says a lot!
on 11 April 1999
The corn chowder, the banana crunch muffins, the orange yogurt-they are the best I have ever tasted. The recipes are not complicated,and the pictures are always good to have in a cookbook. I have slowly been giving away the many cookbooks I have because I did not use them very much, but this book is a definite keeper.