Format: Hardcover|Change

on 21 February 2012
What can I say "Ina Garten" certainly knows how to be a great housewife. She understands the kitchen is the heart of a home and she has some great tips she shares in this book.
The one thing I hate about buying recipe books online is the fact that they hardly ever show what recipes they hold. so here is a list of all the recipes within the book *barefoot contessa at home*:

fresh whiskey sours,

ceasar club sandwich
mexican chicken soup
chicken salad sandwiches
ribllita
smoked salmon & egg salad tartines
fresh pea soup
Garlic croutons
roasted pepper & goat cheese sandwiches
cream of wild mushroom soup
tomato mozzarella &pesto panini
shrimp bisque honey white bread
chicken stock
seafood stock

SALADS:
heirloom tomatoes with blue cheese dressing
chicken salad veronique
grilled tina salad
bibb salad with basil green goddess dressing
jon snows fish salad
guacamole salad
old-fashioned potato salad

DINNER:
Blue cheese burgers
cornish hens with cornbread stuffing
chicken piccata
lamb kebabs with cous cous
roast capon
loin of pork with fennel stuffed cabbage
rib eye steaks
with cornmeal fried onion rings
portobello mushroom lasagna
chickne with goat cheese and basil
seafood gratin
eli's asian salmon
lemon fusilli with arugula
summer garden pasta
seared tuna with mango chuney
easy lobster paella

mustard-roasted potatoes
jalapeno cheddar cornbread
herb-roasted onions

DESERT:
frozen berries with hot white chocolate
beatty's chocolate cake
lemon yogurt cake
peanut butter & jelly bars
mixed berry pavlova
coconut cake
pumpkin mousse parfait
chocolate sorbet
black & white angel food cake
chocolate cupcakes and peanut butter icing
panna cotta with balsamic strawberries
ultimate ginger cookies
fruit cake cookies
peach and blueberry crumbles
pear apple and cranberry crisp
summer fruit crostata

anna's orange marmalade
irish soda bread
fresh peach bellinis
spicy bloody mary's
33 comments|79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 October 2008
Well, she's cooked up another classic cookbook again. This time the theme of the book is food you serve at home- not in your house. The book starts out by defining what a home is to her- and to tell you the truth, it sounds a bit like mine: it's not perfect by any means, and is, in fact, a bit cluttered. Cluttered not so much in a messy way, but rather with personal items which ultimately are responsible for making the house into a home.

And so it is with her delicious recipes. Laid out in different sections such as dinner, soups, etc., each section is prefaced by several pages of interesting info on a selected food or food preparation topic.

A very down-to-earth cookbook, it is laid out well, has great pictures, and you'll even notice that the pages have a thick, smooth feel to them. Also suggest The Sixty-Second Motivator if you have trouble sticking to a healthy diet.
on 29 May 2010
I wasn't going to buy this book until I saw it in Waterstones (for about £[]!!) and had a good flick though. Once I knew some of the recipes appealed, I bought it from Amazon and saved myself some cash!

I love Ina Garten and her TV programs. She has such a laid back way of cooking and explaining things, and I love that she is also a bit of a domestic goddess in other ways - she shows you how to set a nice table and decorate your house!! I've tried about ten recipes so far - all worked very well and all tasted absolutely amazing. I would particularly recommend the lemon yogurt cake (though I have to turn my oven alot lower and cook it for about twice the time - makes no difference to the finished result however) and the peanut jelly bars (quite simply amazing, but possibly a heart attack in a tin!). On that note, I've found many of these recipes to have far too much oil,sugar, butter, cream and, oh my god salt, to be considered in any way healthy, and I use it about once every two weeks for that reason. Maybe that's why the recipes are delicious though - I think we all know the better something tastes the worse it is for our health!!

Anyway, it is a great book, it's great quality and I would definitely recommend it. I just wish someone could do for Ina what they have done for Nigella and make these transatlantic-friendly, i.e. give ingredients in weights, tempuratures in celcius and alternatives for US ingredients.
on 24 November 2010
I must confess that I am a bit of a cook book collector: I have quite a lot, and take a lot of pleasure from reading them. I was bought this as birthday present after watching Ina on TV. The book is beautifully presented and the writing is clear and simple. Other reviewers have said that the recipes are simple, too simple even, but that's the whole point! What Ina does so well, is to simplify the complex and create recipes that you can make at home, over and over.

Her seafood gratin (I altered the type and quantities of fish) was unbelievably good and so easy to make - pefect for when my husbands boss came to dinner (I followed her menu suggestion too ;o)). Likewise the Pavlova - I have made this loads of times, following a Nigella recipe, but this time it didn't crack! I made Betty's Chocolate Cake for my husbands birthday, and it really is special (I have also made the recipe into muffins, adding some chocolate chips, which works a treat)! Everything I have made has turned out perfectly.

I really like the use of cup measurements, although I appreciate that this isn't to everyone's taste. Also, I have a Kitchen Aid which Ina uses and her recipes very often refering to 'an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment' which could be frustrating if you don't have one (although a hand mixer would work equally well).

I have never written a review before, but I wanted to share my thoughts about this and [ASIN:0609602195 The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook], since they are such great books that cooks of any level will enjoy and use!
on 16 June 2010
This book is fabulous, even if you don't cook,just to look at the food and the presentation is wonderful. Even if you do not cook you cannot go wrong with the recipes in this book she makes it easy....and they are so so delicious.
on 18 April 2007
Ina Garten is a wonderful find! All of her books are fantastic. Real food with simple instructions for wonderful results. Very very much recommended - a must have for any cook.
on 22 February 2008
I NOW HAVE ALL THE HARDBACK BAREFOOT BOOKS AND THEY ARE GREAT WORTH EVERY PENNY AND HIGHLY RECOMMENDED., RECIPES AND METHODS ARE STRAIGHTFORWARD AND EASY TO FOLLOW, THOUGH I HAVE TO SAY THIS LADY IS MOST LIKELY USED TO COOKING FOR THE MASSES SO I DO CUT THE INGREDIENTS SOMETIMES BY HALF AND THEY WORK REALLY WELL..
on 28 August 2009
Book arrived within a couple of days, well packed and undamaged. The recipes are all very interesting and the couple I have tried have been very good. You do need to 'translate' some of the ingredients as this is an American cook book and measure in cups rather than ounces but this is not too difficult. Overall a good book.
Whilst I'm a Brit through and through, growing up I was raised on all manner of continental cuisine from a homemade curry using authentic spices through to traditional cuisine and fell in love with Italian food when I spent a good few of my teenage years working for an Italian Restaurant in my home town. What the Barefoot Contessa does for me is take me back to some of those roots and helps bring some of attention to detail alongside to adding passion into cooking from scratch.

Add to this a whole host of recipes that will take you on a journey but ones that also show that shop bought can easily be beaten by good kitchen knowhow and someone to show you the ropes. The recipes within are easy to follow, have great flavours and when you add to the whole process recipes that can be done in a quick fashion that concentrates of the meal star then you know that the content and style within is going to be a sheer delight. Cracking.
on 6 February 2010
For those who do not yet know Barefoot Contessa i would say this is not necessarily the best of her cook books though it is very good and does contain several very good recipes. Purchasing on line, unless you have already done the research prior to mail order (not easy to do in this situ as this is an import from the US) is a gamble. Ina Garten or Barefoot Contessa as she is better known in the US, is an excellent cook who writes some excellent cook books which incorporate some great ideas, clear, easy to follow instructions (though you need to get used to the difference in terminology, it is a US cookbook after all!), the photography is great too. Her books have an elegant look about them which make you want to pick them up and browse through them over and over again. She is precise in her measuring and uses measuring spoons and cups which at first i was unsure about. Providing you are comfortable with this and grow used to her almost scientific though still relaxed approach to cooking, you simply cannot go wrong and will probably never bother with any of the other "celebrity" type cooks again. Some of the recipes are not geared to the UK market and have a distinctly American edge to them and you cannot always find exactly the same ingredients, but that's okay. You just have to adapt the recipe. An example might be "semi sweet chocolate" which is simply not available here and there is no exact equivalent (she uses Hersheys chocolate chips which you cannot find in the UK). The terminology can differ sometimes too. An example would be their "all purpose flour". Our equivalent of plain flour. But you soon get used to these small differences. She is inspirational to many and i include myself in this as a woman who has enjoyed cooking for years. But having grown bored with the routine of cooking lately, i have found a new lease of life and have really started to enjoy trying new recipes again, thanks to BCs warm, relaxed and easy style, wonderful life style, tips and ideas. I would suggest that many of her recipes are heavy on the calories and fat content and if you are looking for healthy eating or are a calorie counter, suggest you look elsewhere. But if you are looking for a cook who will indulge your every desire for fabulous, no holes barred, high end yet uncomplicated recipes thanks to her measured, relaxed, easy way of presenting, and it has to be said, sometimes expensive recipe ideas, then this high bred, classy lady from The Hamptons NY, is the best... Enjoy! She has many titles to choose from. You can also catch her now every day on the Food Channels here in the UK too!