Published 4 months ago by Nicky Peacock Author

3.0 out of 5 stars okay
Published 9 months ago by FireFly

3.0 out of 5 stars okay, 3 Jun. 2014
I have loved this series but this book was a bit of a downer for me and I don't think I'll be getting the next one. There's lots of rambling and undoing of previous things. More panic about Merry's mortality spreading although in the last few books she was less mortal and her opponents in several duels survived mortal wounds. There's lots of emotional baggage and therapy talk which I thought was more Anita Blake than Merry Gentry, the lack of pyschoanalysing was one of the reasons I liked this series. But almost nothing happened in this book, perhaps if the main events had been condensed into a novella I would have liked it better. But I just couldn't bring myself to care about anything that happened. It was too random and very cliche.

My recommendation, if you've not read this series go back to the beginning and read the first one. If you have read all the other books, well, I'd say save your money and find a new series as I wish I had done. I believe this one is flailing beyond rescue.

All the same, happy reading.

1.0 out of 5 stars This series is done., 5 Jun. 2014
This review is from: A Shiver of Light (Merry Gentry) (Hardcover)
As fans of the series know, this book has been a long time coming. Many people, myself included, worried that the series had been abandoned to writers block and wouldn't be finished. Considering the 5 year wait, I think fans are going to be incredibly disappointed. I know I was. I think after this installment I may just leave the series altogether.

I quickly grew tired of how the author couldn't be bothered to come up with a plot, and so has filled the book with sex, the last couple of pages of the book offer some explanation, but this was totally ridiculous. The "plot" is so incredibly rubbish, and you have to squint to find it...and maybe use a magnifying glass.

Merry spends the entire time talking about all of her husbands...gives birth to triplets...but you still don't find out who fathered them. At all. There's a death that's gonna hardcore piss people off. The plot pacing/timing/flow was all wrong. I mean, 5 years waiting for this? What a joke.

The book tried to take you on an emotional journey or whatever, but I pretty much felt nothing except annoyance and boredom the whole way through. The book didn't inspire any of the emotions the author was probably going for. Not to mention it falls in to the category of "so predictable it hurts".

Considering the genre this falls in to and the whole fae thing, it says a hell of a lot when I turn around and say that this entire book is unrealistic. Don't get me started on the babies. Just don't.

I was so bored by this book I took any excuse to put it down. Any excuse. Nothing happens, as I said, there's no plot. It is over 300 pages of nothing. Everything happens and is wrapped up within a couple of pages. I'm seriously not joking. I know I write some scathing reviews, and I know I've done a couple of them lately, but if you read, you will see.

The majority of the books is just huge loads of information that you either don't care about, or started off caring about, but lost the will to live after a couple of pages. I love a good bit of love, but I swear, I couldn't take it in this book. All the time. Anything important was just an afterthought in the dialogue after love.

The book is so damn repetitive you could be forgiven for thinking you where having a hardcore deja vu trip. I think it's best if fans abandon this series, jump ship and let it die. The only thing more terrible than this book, will be the 10th book in the series. If it ever gets published.

1.0 out of 5 stars rubbish!!, 10 Jun. 2014
Why did I bother wasting my time and money on this worthless trash? This is the same bland tripe she has been spewing out for years. Why bother?Hamilton is obviously a narcissist too wrapped up in herself to truly create anything new or innovative. If you have read one of these you have read all of them. Although I did enjoy the first three books. There is nothing new or interesting, we get the same repeatedly rehashed phrases that make me cringe. To be honest I skimmed through useless swathes of s*** just to get to the end of this pointless masturbation exercise in order to feel like I spent my hard earned money on something worthwhile instead of just deleting it fifty pages in. This book, like so many of her others, could have easily been reduced to fifty pages. Therefore it must be the money the author is focussing on. Extremely disappointed and will not be reading anything from her again as she is undeserving of anymore of my time and money.

1.0 out of 5 stars So happy I did not pay money to read this..., 6 Jun. 2014
I have recommended Laurel K. Hamilton to hundreds and hundreds od readers - I work in the right place to do so.
I fell in love with this series even more than I fell in love with Anita Blake's and always enjoyed the constant twists and turns and loved the shocks of destiny that it used to present us with.
Yes, used to present us with...! I am so very sorry that the author has written this book. It ruins the series in so many ways it should be considered a crime to the genre!

No-jokes:
-this is a hardback with 372 pages;
-there is only one thing that happens in the whole book that we did not know about already;
-the book is a waste of time with no plot - we expected that a pregnant woman at some point will eventually give birth so that can not be called a plot;
-where I have read previous books in a matter of hours as I couldn't put them down it took me a whole week with this one and if I could get the time back somehow I would;

Story line no-jokes:
-we loved the nice little shocks and when Doyle and Frost announced their love for each other it was great. More and more people continue doing that - and very boringly keep talking about the fact that it's brotherly love or just keep staring in each other's eyes... and nothing else;
-after we all thought that the boring mortality issue was left behind and in previous books was kind of hinted that it's not an issue any more, somehow the talk is back again - just talk as usual and more and more talk. Fascination with the immortal is kind of killed off if they are mortal, isn't it? We know everything about mortality - who wants to hear some more? Oh, yes, I don't need a book for that - I can just put the news on...
-big bust is the new thing for women - it's repeated on multiple occasions how the princess collects stares with hers. It was described as very big before and apparently, now her being a mommy, it has gone way beyond that... Way to encourage you to feel that you don't need a plastic surgery? Mmmmm,... naa-aah...

The single positive thing - the author has added in between the pages and pages of nothing several 'doors' that the story line could possibly go through in the next book. After finishing the last page it all felt not as a book in it's own right but as a lengthy and quite expensive at £18.99 preparation for the next book.

My recommendation - you don't need to read this. The next book will mention at the beginning the few small steps that this book took anyway. The author could make us all very happy if she would only sit down and write a book overflowing with action as she used to do. The last few books have been very plain, predictable and down right boring. It feels like she can't be bothered doing research and adding thrilling undercurrents in her stories any more - just publishing a book every now and then to get some money in the bank. It felt especially sad reading about Merry discussing joining the media circus because it will make money even though that no one wants to do it. It was like the author was spilling her heart - don't want to write this but need the cash...

4.0 out of 5 stars I’m a big fan of the Anita Blake series and loved the Meredith Gentry books (although some were a bit ..., 14 Oct. 2014
Laurell K Hamilton has been one of my fav authors for a long time. I’m a big fan of the Anita Blake series and loved the Meredith Gentry books (although some were a bit hit and miss – overall they were a really great paranormal read)I love the fact that her main characters are not tied to one leading man, and it makes a pleasant change to have the ladies in control; so I was really looking forward to reading the next instalment in the lives of my favourite faes. When you read a series of book, such as the Meredith Gentry series, it kind of feels like spending time with old friends – and this book was a good catch-up session!

From a writer’s perspective, I felt a little irritated with the amount of minor character interaction. Part of the author’s success was the reader wanting to follow the stories of the attractive characters that she created, but this one kind of felt a little OTT. When Merry gives birth, the babies and their ‘ease’ with their many fathers could have easily come across in a few paragraphs, but seemed to go forever. With sooo many characters it felt like the story really didn’t get going till all the men in Merry’s life had had a ‘moment’ with each of the babies – which was frustrating when I wanted plot. When it did get going, it eases you back into the normal pace of her previous books, so perhaps less ‘Then Rhys took the baby and fed it, then Galen took the baby off him, then Sholto shifted another baby in his arms’ – ad nauseam…and more movement of the story would have gripped me earlier.

The front cover is very different from the previous ones – although this might be because it’s a different release in the UK and all the others will look the same – As it is different, I almost didn’t recognise it as part of the series and could have easily looked past it – so although pretty, perhaps doesn’t do the marketing many favours.

Overall, I’d give A Sliver of Light 4 out 5 stars – Nice to catch up with the feisty Fae Princess and see what happens after her happily ever after, and the kids start being painfully squeezed out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, 25 Jun. 2014
Finally another Merry Gentry book! I adore this series about the Seelie and UnSeelie courts and all the crazy machinations that they get up to. The central character Merry is a princess but she's always known that her life is precarious to say the least ! A crazy aunt who demanded that Merry get pregnant in exchange for a chance to be queen and male relatives who deserve to suffer vile torments for the way Merry has been abused and trust me abuse is not too strong a word for it!
Merry and her men are back in the human realm but things are anything but quiet ! Merry was raped by King Taranis and is about to give birth. Her babies will need to be protected but the question of just who the father or fathers are is going to prove to be an interesting one. At a time when Merry should be most at peace she's even more vulnerable than ever. Her aunt will want to meet the babies but can Queen Andais really be trusted? Her idea of fun usually involves pain, degradation and blood so letting her spend time with the newest members of her family is not a great idea. Then of course there's King Taranis who seems determined to claim he is the father and there's no way that Merry will want him around but as he's able to manipulate dreams that's not going to be easy. As for the babies ? Well they are going to be much more of a handful then anyone ever expected! I've always enjoyed this series but this story had a distinctly different tone . It has less action then some of the previous books and much less bedroom activity! Sometimes the protracted sex scenes can get a little unbelievable and it was nice to just wallow in the relationships that connect Merry and her men. There's tragedy here but it just happens so quickly that it didn't really resonate with me if honest. I thought it a shame as it's a character that never really seemed to experience much joy and I wanted more for that person .
Would I recommend this book? Yes if you have already read the rest of this series. It's not my favourite in this series and I absolutely hated that the birth was glossed over, from back ache to after the birth? Really? I just felt disappointed with that . There's enough magic happening to make the story flow but I do still have questions. The solution to the King Taranis problem felt a little too quick for me but it's a complicated world that the Fae inhabit so I'm happy to go with the flow.

4.0 out of 5 stars does have it's faults but also has it's bright spots, 13 Jun. 2014
will not spend too much time listing the faults, yes, there's too many words wasted on describing the cast of characters, eg, we do not need to be told every time cathbouda is on page about her cloak of feathers which transforms to a leather coat when outside of seelie. Without all the unnecessary prose the book would be over half the size, that aside onto the good point, I read it through knowing there was going to be a death, the whole book I felt the writing was leading me towards who the victim was going to be. Boy was I wrong the best of this book is the last 20 pages with shock after shock that you don't see coming, so well done, Laurell, but 20 pages out of 300+ does not a page turner make, I assume there is going to be a book ten and yes I will be buying it, I keep waiting for Laurell to unleash Doyle, Frost, Rhys and the others so we can finally see why they have the title of the greatest fighters the unseelie/seelie have ever known, and I hope one day we get this book, IN CONCLUSION, THE BABIES ARE AMAZING, I cannot wait to read more about them, Laurell did post that one of the reasons for the long break was so Merry could have her babies and we would return to her life when the babies were about three years old, I am so glad she changed her mind.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Shiver of Light, 28 Dec. 2014
I was in two minds about downloading this book due to the lousy reviews. I downloaded a sample and chose to continue reading from there. I agree that this book is nowhere near the quality of the earlier books in the series, however I did read and for the most part, enjoy it. I enjoyed hearing about the birth of the babies and about the development of their individual personalities. I understand that Merry was hormonal and inclined to be less sure of herself and much weepier, however I hope this is not an indication of the content of future books as I find Anita Blake's constant internal struggles and insecurities tedious at times and would hate Merry to go the same way.

I also regret the passing of one of my favourite characters. To conclude if you intend to continue with this series it's worth reading. It's not a great example of the series and I hope the follow up book will be better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Endless talk, regurgitated sentences, mind-numbingly boring, 10 Jun. 2014
This was so spectacularly bad, peeps, that I ended up finishing A Shiver of Light hoping that it will redeem itself at least in the end. As you can guess by my rating, it didn't.

You remember Flirt - that godawful installment in Anita Blake that ended up being a book about nothing? A Shiver of Light is pure nothingness, and at £12 per paperback and £19 at hardback I think it's absolutely outrageous to feed us drivel of such proportions.

The book starts with Merry giving birth and there are exactly two more pieces of action happening since then. Otherwise be ready for a lot of talk as in regurgitated versions of how Merry is a queen of Fairie blessed by Goddess and perfect in any way, how much she loves her men and how much her men love her. Taranis is still delusional, Andais is still a sociopathic, sadistic cow, and everyone else in between is clad in silk and shakes their beautiful long hair while short and buxom Merry feels inadequate among this perfection and keeps bursting in tears.

For pity's sake, there is not even a decent sex scene in between, but plenty of rose petals from the Goddess every time Merry poops. I have a feeling this book was written under pressure and very unwillingly otherwise there is no purpose to it, no drive, and no spark left in this series. I'm sorry but I'm done with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars In defense, 1 Nov. 2014
I know that there were lots of negative comments about this book because it tended to repeat the plot history quite a bit, however, in the defense of Ms Hamilton it has to be realised that this book, No 9 in the series, is not immediately contegious with the rest of the books in the series with a gap between them of some years. Anyone who had not read previous novels would have been puzzled were there not some explanation of previous event.
I hope Merry has a future and Ms Hamilton has the energy and imagination to continue the story.
I, for one, have enjoyed these novels and the intrigue and complexity.

A Shiver of Light (Merry Gentry)
A Shiver of Light (Merry Gentry) by Laurell K Hamilton (Hardcover - 3 Jun. 2014)