Format: Hardcover|Change

on 25 September 2011
I love Harry Eastwood, the book and photography is stunning it is one you will pull out time and time again just to look at. Harry Eastwood has a fantastic style of explaining the recipes and each one is very clear with cooking tips and skinny secrets. The Gratin Dauphinois is my favourite from this book, delicious although I would struggle to serve six without feeling stingy. I would recommend the book to anyone who loves recipe books, but if your not in love with French food you might find yourself less inspired to try many of the recipies included. You'll need some self discipline with some of the recipes not to eat double portions as they taste great as a double portion will defeat the object of the recipe being skinny.

Another beautiful book from Harry Eastwood.
on 14 February 2013
I discovered Harry Eastman when she published Red Velvet and Chocolate Heartache. A book of wheat and fat free cakes made with rice flour? That's got my Coeliac name written all over it! And that got me interested in the TV series on C4 'Eat Yourself Thin.' I'm now hooked.

This book got me cooking Frenchy style without inducing heart-attacks or developing a rear to rival L'Arc de Triomphe!

Well written book that also shares her love of Paris. Could do with more photos of the dishes rather than holiday shots, but it's a book stuffed with the tips and tricks of chic cuisine Française.

Salute!
on 8 August 2011
This is a nice book for people that are not very familiar with French cuisine. To be honest, I have prepared a tarte with dried tomatos, but it was not as good as I would expect. I am not a beginner, I did everything as indicated in the recipie and anyway this is a very easy recipie.
I will not hurry to jugde this book. I will try other recipies as well and I will come back with a full review.
As a first view: it is a nice book to have and I am happy I have it in my collection.

PS: only one thing - I would prefer instead of Paris photos to have photos for all recipies....
on 21 June 2011
This cookery book is brilliant! It is written with the knowledge of both English and French cultures which is a perfect background to portray "real" French cuisine to an English person. It is simple but very inspiring. I have never cooked so many recipes from one book so soon after receiving it. I have since given it to many friends and family as a present. Fantastic!
on 3 April 2011
Great book for the most part.

Chapters are:

*Apéritif (appetiser)
*Sides
*A Table for Two
*Le déjeuner sur l'herbe (The lunch on the grass)
*Cold Comfort
*Les Desserts

Lots of lovely reading recipes (mostly without pictures) of the classic French dishes like bouef bourgiugnon (362 calories a portion) and crêpe Suzettes (201 calories) and Harry's also done versions of recipes not too familar to may of us in the U.K, such as rabbit and pork terrine with pistachios (184 calories). Vegetarians are bound to feel short-changed as in three of the chapters on main courses, there's only 12 vegetarian recipes. I realise that traditionally omnivores have been comparitively ignored in French cuisine but I did expect someone like Harry to be more open minded and imaginative with this.

Calories for each serving are stated on each of the recipe page along with a Skinny Secret which is about why that recipe is low in calories (very informative and sometimes enlightening), and sometimes there's a cooking tip too. What's also insightful are observations in the introduction on how and why French people generally stay slim. As I can be a bit lazy I would have also liked Harry to do what she did in her last book and say what equipment you need.

There's a small list of stockists at the back, which is handy because a small minority of the ingredients (like pigeon, frogs legs and rosemary vinegar) are hard to find.

On Friday night, I cooked the gratin Dauphinois from the book. Much less creamier than the traditional method - you have to poach the potatoes in garlic and milk, and use just three tablespoons of half-fat crème fraîche - and for me the lighter feel was preferable. The taste of the nutmeg and garlic came through nicely and I would happily serve that for a dinner party. It was also very easy and quick to do.

My main criticism is regarding the lack of pictures and is why I can't give the book five stars. 41 of 100 recipes are included here, which just isn't good enough. I find this particularly frustrating because even though I've been to France many times I'm not overly familar with French food and I would have liked to have seen photos for more of the recipes I want to try, especially the mushroom tart and poire belle Hélène dessert. I also like seeing what the recipe is supposed to look like, whatever the cuisine and find it off putting when I find a recipe in a book when there's no photo to accompany it. Some of the more difficult recipes like rabbit and cider casserole with caramelized apples, and thyme-roasted pigeons with cream of garlic confit are also missing photos. It's not in the slightest bit helpful. The pictures of Paris, Harry, and single ingredients actually outnumber the pictures of the recipes.

And no bread recipes at all?!

So not the masterpiece it could have been but once again Harry has done something original and on the whole done a great job.
on 24 June 2011
The photos are stunning, the recipes are easy to follow and to the point. You wouldn't think that French cuisine, with all that butter and cream, could be skinny, but for those of us who can't eat like a French woman, (i.e. teeny tiny portions), this book is a gold mine. Thank you Harry Eastwood!
on 23 June 2011
Delicious french cookery without the guilt! all the recipes I have tried so far have been excellent. I particularly love blackcurrant clafoutis as we have a glut of blackcurrants every year. The recipes contain easily obtainable ingredients You won't be disappointed.
on 14 September 2015
Still working my way through the book, but very impressed so far. Lots of ideas which could be used on my other favourite recipes.
What a brilliant idea
on 19 July 2015
Really tempting recipes, easy to follow and with all the calories marked make it simple to "stay in control". Certainly delighted with my purchase.
on 1 August 2013
Loved Harry's first book, excited to see this one. Happily munching through the recipes. Find her writing entertaining, love her as dinner guest any time!