Format: HardcoverChange

on 1 March 2015
Amazing, buy it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 September 2013
I've read a couple of Mr Dawkin's books now and, although I agree whole heartedly with what he writes, I still can't understand how he can use so many words to explain what to most of us is obvious.
It's good to know that Richard is out there promoting common sense but I fear that if he continues to waffle too much he will turn readers off.
Or maybe some people do need the obvious explained to them in words of one syllable.
Keep it up Richard.
on 1 December 2011
All children should have the chance to read this book.It brings commonsense to an area often dominated by the indoctrination of "Faith".
0Comment2 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 December 2011
This is a wonderful book - beautifully illustrated and well written. Dawkins is a great writer - he makes complex matters easy to understand and his joy and enthusiasm regarding the beauty of science and nature shines through.

It is an entertaining, educational and very handsome book and a great read that you can dip in and out of.
0Comment3 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 February 2012
As a long time fan of Richard Dawkins, I congratulate him on this book which combines illuminating examples of a wide range "truths" from earlier belief systems concerning natural phenomena, all now known to be wrong, balanced with clear explanations of current understanding, with memorable and entertaining illustrations. I look forward to giving this book to my grand son, when he is old enough, only 3 now !
on 12 June 2015
Excellent Book
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 December 2011
This is a fascinating book and, having read a borrowed one, I decided to buy this for my grandson's Xmas gift.
on 21 March 2012
The Magic of Reality should be compulsory reading for every British student in every form of school and college throughout the UK regardless of their faith.

It is an inspiration of text brilliantly illustrated. Even if you don't like Dawkins you should have the generosity of mind to allow our younger generation the access to this book. He explains the subject in easy to understand terms admirably accompanied by his illustrator David McKean. For too long, children have been subjugated to holy books, let them read this as an intelligent alternative to the dreadful nonsense that has been thrust down their throats both in RE and sometimes science lessons for centuries. It answers many questions with clarity, amusing description and analogy and is combined with Dawkins's fine intellect that he uses appropriately for younger readers.

I have not enjoyed a non fictional book for so long and if you wish to inspire your children or grandchildren then buy this book.
on 19 January 2014
Right - first up - I'm giving it a 1 star review so people wonder why I am going against the grain (and am not a godbot fanatic) But the 5 star reviews are for a different book.

DO NOT BUY THE PAPERBACK. THIS IS A WARNING.

Despite the illustrator getting a billing on the front page - it's just text, THERE ARE NO illustrations.

The 5 star reviews are for a TOTALLY DIFFERENT BOOK. And amazon needs to sort it out - BUT as there is no indication as to that fact when buying it that it's a TOTALLY DIFFERENT BOOK then I'm having to write this snark review.

Shed loads of art books are out there in both hardback and paperback formats - with the same contents in each - yet this is not one of those - it's a total disgrace of a version that the publishers have put together.
44 comments11 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 January 2012
This is a brilliant book, well written and well thought out. This is perfect for the early teen years I suspect, though I bought it for my grandchildren who are somewhat younger than that. They will evolve their understanding into it over several years.
Congratulations on, I suspect, the first of many in this new genre.