4.0 out of 5 stars Don't be silent about this!
Published on 21 July 2011 by Leah Graham

2.0 out of 5 stars Tess Gerritsen - The Silent Girl
Published on 31 July 2012 by molko

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't be silent about this!, 21 July 2011
Leah Graham (Tenerife) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Silent Girl (Rizzoli & Isles 9) (Hardcover)
I'm not going to give a huge history on the novels previously, as that would take a lot of explaining (!) but suffice to say, if you want to really know both Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles you should probably start with book one of Gerritsen's Rizzoli/Isles series and work your way through the series. Because a lot of past cases are mentioned and some people will be confused and wonder what's going on. The Silent Girl starts some months after (the brilliant) The Killing Place and we start by seeing Maura Isles testifying at the trial of a cop. (Not on his behalf, I may add). That didn't add much to the book, it has to be said, but I think it's setting the ground work for the Boston PD to not trust Maura as much (as is shown throughout The Silent Girl whenever Maura is called to a crime scene). But the real plot of the novel is the death of a girl on a roof in Chinatown. At first Jane Rizzoli is stumped as to how she was killed but as she learns more and more, secrets are revealed.

The Silent Girl is very much plot-focused; compared to The Killing Place which was very much focused on Maura, the personal lives of Rizzoli and Isles is put onto the backburner for this novel. Instead we're introduced to Chinatown and its mythology. The book isn't as gripping or suspenseful as previous novels, but the background to the entire plot is very much done well. Gerritsen has written a note on the back of the novel (of my proof copy, anyway) saying that the book was inspired by herself growing up as a Chinese-American and her history and the history of all Chinese-Americans is very much prevalent during the novel. So although it wasn't a suspenseful novel, it was still rather creepy as Jane found herself wondering if there really was a ghost running through Chinatown killing people. I must admit, when I saw the note on the back and the word 'ghosts', I thought 'Oh no', but actually it's not as I thought it was. And it just played into the Chinese mythology of the book. I'm a very ignorant person when it comes to other cultures but I thoroughly enjoyed learning the Chinese folklore.

The Silent Girl is a worthy addition to the Rizzoli/Isles series. Sure, it was vastly different to The Killing Place (and I must admit, that book is still very much in my memory!) but it's a brilliant book in its own right. I did think the middle of the novel was slightly slower but I thought the ending of the book and the solving of the crime more than made up for it. It's such a thrill to be back with Rizzoli, Isles and the rest of the team again. I'm totally shocked that this is book nine of the series but it's not that surprising when I think of all the books that have already come! I am very much looking forward to book ten in the series (and then many more after that, hopefully). Most series peter out quickly, but Rizzoli and Isles is still going strong. The plots are always different, which I'm sure is what helps the series stay fresh. Tess Gerritsen is a brilliant writer and she is very much worthy of the crown of the Queen of crime writing. Her books are always effortless to read (when your heart's not in fear of bursting out of your chest in fear mind) and the most important thing is all of her books are re-readable. I'd definitely recommend this book, and I would definitely recommend the entire series should you not already have read any of Tess's novels in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing story with an exotic background, 6 Aug 2011
Bluebell (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Silent Girl (Rizzoli & Isles 9) (Hardcover)
I've enjoyed all of the author's books in the Rizzoli and Isles series and marvel at how she can think up so many different scenarios. Boston's Chinatown and the cultural heritage of the community provide an interesting and exotic background to this intriguing story of deaths and disappearances. Though each of the books in the series has a stand-alone story, I feel I get more having followed the main characters' experiences chronologically. The author doesn't over-burden the flow of her narrative with personal and life-style information about her characters, only including enough to make them seem real, so that her books crack along a good pace and keep the reader hooked wanting to know what happens next.
An excellent book that I'm sure most readers of crime fiction will enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great title, 22 July 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Silent Girl (Rizzoli & Isles 9) (Hardcover)
OK, this will not exactly come as a shock but I'm a huge Tess Gerritsen fan so any new book that arrives will be devoured in pretty short succession. The novel as usual is well written and when told from multiple points of view made this a story that was not only about the victim but the circumstances which allows the story to stand out on its own. Add to this the freshness of Rizzoli and Isles (even though it is their ninth outing) and it's a series that is not only gripping but one that keeps this series in the mind of fans as well as new readers who have watched the TV series (alas still not available in the UK.)

All in, when you add Tess' unique writing style which include gritty crime and gory scenes alongside her characters developments both personal and case related it's a series that few other authors can come close to matching. Great stuff although to be honest don't read this on your own or late at night and I'd definitely suggest a stiff drink to help settle the nerves in certain areas. Magic.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tess Gerritsen - The Silent Girl, 31 July 2012
molko (Surrey) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
In this, the 9th in Gerritsen's Rizzoli and Isles series we're trying to uncover the mystery of a bunch of murders in Chinatown. Surly Boston cop Jane Rizzoli takes centre stage here as she heads up the investigation with her partner Barry Frost and newcomer to the team Johnny Tam. After a woman is found dead on a rooftop in Chinatown it soon becomes apparent that the murder is linked to a massacre from years ago.

I won't say much more on the plot as the synopsis here on Amazon will tell you enough. Unfortunately this one just wasn't up to Gerritsen's usual standard. The writing and the story itself is very unoriginal, at times it felt like Tess was following a 'paint by numbers' method for writing a crime book and it was all very pedestrian and ultimately, boring. I've read and enjoyed all of the previous books in this series but it seems that her efforts are becoming less and less impressive, especially when compared to the other leaders in the genre; Karin Slaughter, Patricia Cornwell etc. Read this one for a cheap quick thrill, or if you've followed the series, but there's nothing new to be found here.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Silent Girl, 23 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Silent Girl (Rizzoli & Isles 9) (Hardcover)
This book kept you riverted and on your toes right up until the end. You could not put the book down for breaks it just had to be read!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Creepy Murder Leads Rizzoli to Creeps, 21 July 2011
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Silent Girl (Rizzoli & Isles 9) (Hardcover)
"Whoever rewards evil for good,
Evil will not depart from his house." -- Proverbs 17:13 (NKJV)

I found The Silent Girl to be one of the very best books in the series. Let me explain why.

The novel has a strong sense of place. I often walk through Boston's Chinatown and the story evoked just the sort of thoughts and emotions that occur to me while regarding people there.

There are many mysteries here, each of which has to be exposed to the light of truth before anyone can know what really happened. I found that storytelling style to be intriguing.

By drawing on Chinese culture, there's an exotic element that makes the characters and story seem more exotic, almost like finding a hothouse flower unexpectedly in winter.

The story also grabbed me emotionally more than most police procedurals and suspense stories do.

Sometimes Dr. Gerritsen's stories don't completely ring true to me. This one allowed me to successfully suspend disbelief throughout.

The only aspect of the story that didn't appeal to me (other than what the villains did) was the brief involvement of Dr. Maura Isles. It seemed almost like a leftover from a different story than an essential part of this one. If it had been edited out, I suspect many readers would have liked the book better. But die hard fans of Dr. Isles will be disappointed, I'm sure, with the little they find of her here.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst Tess Gerritsen book I have read and I have read all in the Rizzoli series so far, 26 Jan 2013
I was so disappointed with this book. I have enjoyed reading the whole Rizzoli and Isles series in order of publication until this one. It took me weeks to read as it is not a page turner. The plot groans on for over one hundred pages before anything really happens regarding the actually plot solution. Aspects of the crime are described over and over again, page after page without anything really happening. I suspect Tess, like Patricia Cornwell, has been trapped by her own popularity and now is churning out books without the inspirational ideas that caused them to be sensational authors when they first started out. Take my advice. Please do not waste your life on this book. It simply is not worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I just loved it, 13 Aug 2012
Lainy (Bonnie Scotland) - See all my reviews
A murder-suicide from 19 years ago seems to keep popping up in relation to a new homicide. The corpse is almost decapitated and her hand is completely removed. On the corpse is two strands of silver hair that can't be identified, human or animal? Soon secrets from the past and tales of Chinese legend come to the front and Isles and Rizzoli have to work through it all to find out what is going on and who the killer is.

The is a brilliant story, I loved the Chinese legends and stories and couldn't wait to find out what the link was with the past and the present. The story for the most part is written in third person view but for individual chapters and with one character it is written in the first person narrative. Normally this kind of switching would annoy me as I like things to be consistent but it works really well and I felt added to the story.

The story starts off fairly quickly with action from the first chapter (setting up a background for the story to come). We also see a different side to Rizzoli in this book and how unusual her and Dr. Isles friendship is and the pressures it can face.

So much to like and enjoy in this book and as always the thing I love, there was no loose ends. I got all the answers to my questions and forgot how much I enjoyed Tess Gerritsens writing. 5/5 for me and to be honest you could read this as a stand alone but if you like clarity on your characters and how their relationships came to be I would check out the previous books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rizzolli and isles are back!, 14 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Silent Girl (Rizzoli & Isles 9) (Hardcover)
In this ninth outing, Tess Gerritsen's much-loved series heroines, forensic anthropologist Maura Isles and detective Jane Rizzoli, are on cracking form. The duo often find themselves investigating gruesome murders - and The Silent Girl is one of the most compelling (and disturbing). Gerritsen is a leading light among the new cadre of female crime writers who are quite as ready to tackle hyper-violent crime fiction as any of their male confreres - and this is a field, remember, that boasts several stellar talents (including, notably, Kathy Reichs). But one of the most talented practitioners of this nerve-shredding genre is Gerritsen, still on a roll after such highly impressive thrillers as Body Double and Vanish. The latest book, The Silent Girl, is a particularly notable outing for Maura Isles and Jane Rizzoli
Well i really enjoyed this one - the last couple in this series have not been upto par for me and i wondered if the rizzolli series was coming to an end BUT i wasnt disappointed with this one. I read it over 3 nights and was eager to get to the outcome - one i didnt guess. The opening chapter got me hooked - as does most of her books and i couldnt wait to read more. I admit her books have never been as good as those first few in the series (and you really need to read them in order) but this has definately picked up again and i cant wait to read the next in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kept me delightfully flummoxed, 7 Feb 2012
[...]

The Silent Girl is the 9th book in the series featuring (Maura) Isles and (Jane) Rizzoli and starts just a few months after the events of the previous book, The Killing Place. Do bear this in mind if you are reading this book out of sequence as it does contain spoilers from the previous book.

The narration is from the three perspectives of Isles, Rizzoli, and Iris Fang. Iris Fang is a mysterious widow of Chinese descent who has never accepted her husband's apparent murder-suicide and will do anything to get justice for her husband and daughter.

Most of the action is set in Chinatown, Boston. If, like me your Chinese history and mythology is a little rusty(!) then reading this book will give you an insight into Chinese culture and its ancient traditions and mythology. It does this whilst still remaining a 'light' read and not feeling that you picked up a history book by accident.

Expect the usual macabre events that Tess delivers and supernatural elements thrown in the mix too. This was something which, when reading the premise, worried me but, in my opinion, kept within the boundaries of plausibility that you would expect for this genre.

If you're particularly interested in Maura's character you may be disappointed that she does not feature so prominently and has little input towards the main storyline. Rat and Bear whom, you would have met from the previous book are back, giving Maura some distraction from her on / off relationship with the lovely Father Brophy. If it's any consolation, Maura will monopolise the next book when she visits Rat at 'Evensong', a school for orphaned children set on a rural campus. What a perfect setting for grisly events to unfold!

Verdict: A great read filled with suspense and kept me delightfully flummoxed almost to the very end. This is Tess on top form!

The Silent Girl (Rizzoli & Isles 9)
The Silent Girl (Rizzoli & Isles 9) by Tess Gerritsen (Hardcover - 21 July 2011)
Used & New from: 0.01