5.0 out of 5 stars excellent
So far so good.........my baby is now three months old and is sleeping from 8pm till 5am. I would definately recommend this to any new parent!
Published 18 months ago by Bucky

2.0 out of 5 stars Another variation on cry-it-out
Once again, a book is released claiming to have new and different ways to get babies to sleep. But like the others it comes down to the same old thing - let them cry. I read the whole first half only to realise that it came down to doing something I am not prepared to do. If you are not a fan of controlled crying, don't bother.
Published on 11 April 2012 by Emily

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 15 July 2013
This review is from: The Sensational Baby Sleep Plan (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book but not for everyone..... if u look at negative reviews, 28 April 2013
This review is from: The Sensational Baby Sleep Plan (Paperback)
This is a great book, but its probably not for everyone.

I bought this book in Sept 2010 for my then ten week old son and have just come here to find the name for my sister in law who is struggling a little with her first newborn. Seeing the negative reviews i felt i had to say something. This book worked for me on day ten of implementing the plan and he has never looked back sleep wise, since. He'll be 3yo in June '13.

Yes the book does across a bit pro formula, but there is a whole section on breast feeding aswell. I think people are just a little bit shocked when the see a well written document
which says it's OK to formula feed. This was great for me as my milk didn't come in at all, we tried everything ( I mean it, you name it!) but it just didn't happen for me with my son. Alison makes you realize that this is OK. Her key philosophy is 'Happy Mum, Happy Baby.'

And thats how she also approaches sleeping, she gives you techniques to try if technique A doesn't work, she does offer alternatives.

It isn't strict routine based like some other books on the market. I know parents who swear by these books, but they are also the ones whos kids will only sleep at a certain time of day, in a certain environment and you never see them past 6.30pm in case it upsets the little ones routine.

The sensational baby sleep plan is a guide; we're all individuals and therefore will all parent differently. It's up to you how you wish to use this guide to aid a restful sleeping pattern for both of you as parents and your baby.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 2 Sept. 2013
Was skeptical but started using this with our girl at 10 week's and was sleeping through 7-7 in a week! Naps are taking longer but definitely making progress using this plan!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 29 Oct. 2014
Generally good advice. Like the crying scale. My son was very close to self-settling as I'd already done shh-pat and pick-up/put-down (baby whisperer) but the sleep reassurance was the final part needed to get him to learn to self settle. He didn't really cry much and took to it really well (6 months old). We still have good and bad nights but on the whole he sleeps much better and longer. Plus I have a lot more free time now that I'm not sitting with him whilst he drifts off!

However, I do think that I disagree with the advice with regards to early infants. I exclusively breast fed and my son really wanted food every two hours and fed 3-4 times a night. He's gradually reduced this himself and now only feeds once a night. If I try not to feed him he cries and resists sleep so it's fairer on us all to feed him. It is only once at 4/5 am (last feed at 6.30 pm so fair enough really!!). All babies are different - how much food & sleep they need. All mums are different - how much milk they make, how fatty the milk is, how they feel about night time feeding. Formula fed babies often sleep better and the advice is perhaps more aimed at them. I thinky my supply would've dried up if I'd stuck to this plan early on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alison has an amazing chapter about reflux which most importantly gave us much ..., 24 Nov. 2014
Alison Scott - Wright, quite honestly, saved our sanity. We were sceptical at first, as others were but we had hit rock bottom and were desperate. Our little boy had severe reflux and food allergies and we had nowhere to turn. After 9 months of constant crying we needed help getting the baby to sleep. Alison has an amazing chapter about reflux which most importantly gave us much needed understanding into how our little one felt and encouraged us not to start sleep training until we had the reflux under control. We used some of her tips and were able to sleep train after a few weeks. We didn't follow the system to the letter- we weren't taking away the baby's panda blankie because it was a great comfort to him nor would we let him cry because it aggravated the reflux but the routine helped us and him tremendously and now, at 2.5 years he still knows nap/bedtime is just that. We can't recommend this book enough. Thank you, Alison.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now he is sleeping through the night for 3 months and believe me its great!! And i feel that he gained such ..., 18 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Sensational Baby Sleep Plan (Paperback)
Yes, my baby started to sleep through the night in a week, but it does involve lots of crying if u got him used with rocking and feeding to sleep. i felt physically sick listening to my baby crying, but it was getting ridiculous at 7 month he would wake up 5 times s a night, thats not humanly possible. Now he is sleeping through the night for 3 months and believe me its great!! And i feel that he gained such a life skill i put him in his bed awake and goes to sleep by himself, even if he wakes up in the middle of the night he would go to sleep by himself because he doesnt remember falling asleep in my arms and then be frightened of the dark, he realizes that he is in the same spot where he were when he fell asleep and all is good.

5.0 out of 5 stars An expert's opinion..., 4 April 2013
This review is from: The Sensational Baby Sleep Plan (Paperback)
I am a doctor and the small number of reviews that have given this book a 1 star are not accurate and seem to be written having not read the book properly. This book is outstandingly good. I have known many mothers to breast-feed for much longer than they envisaged as a result of having the energy to do so (because their baby and they sleep well). Further, if you read this book before you give birth, you will not have to leave your baby to cry because your babies good sleep habits will be generated from the outset. It is only mothers who get themselves into a fix by bouncing their baby to sleep every time or having them regularly sleep in their own bed for weeks or months, who end up in a situation where the baby cannot fall asleep by itself. Then they have to change the habit they have generated.

Instead, if they had a very simple routine of putting the baby into it's moses basket as soon as it showed signs of tiredness and left it simply to fall asleep by itself without rocking etc. the baby will get used to that and will not need extra stimulation to help it. For the first couple of months babies sleep approximately 17 hours out of every 24 if you allow them too. This sleep is essential for their development, including brain development. So why not take advantage of this by generating good habits while the baby does fall to sleep so easily. What often prevents babies from sleeping the required amount is parents who do not give them the peace and stillness required to sleep well. It is also parents who rush in as soon as the baby makes a noise (often in it's sleep or whilst changing between the 40 minute sleep cycles) so that fully wakes the baby up and again prevents it from sleeping soundly. What works for adults (dimming lights and reducing stimulus, rather than increasing it) also works for babies.

Re putting them to sleep on their stomachs versus on their backs, Alison is right to say that now it is best to put them to sleep on their backs. 'However' should they be a terrible sufferer of reflux (which some babies are), it is correct to say that being on their stomachs may be the best and least painful solution for them (with a breathing monitor in place). However, as she also states, with correct medication this painful condition can usually be brought under control.

Re sleep patterns, Alison has studied hundreds of babies sleep patterns and she provides 'guidelines' as to what your baby is likely to do if s/he is getting the necessary amount of sleep. It also shows what patterns are likely to emerge at different ages if you feed your baby enough during the day. This is what has enabled so many mothers to be much better informed as to what to expect and how to handle different scenarios during the night and day. One such example is that if you dream-feed your baby right before you go to bed, although this may seem to make your life easier as a parent (as you don't have to wake 1 or 2 hours later to feed your baby), the reality is that your baby will take much longer to sleep through the night (through the night means from approx 7pm to 7am). Essentially, she suggests feeding the baby when it wakes for food whatever that time, rather than doing something that makes your life easier in the short term, but harder in the long-term. I have found her findings to be invaluable and that the babies I have encountered in my work have followed (naturally) Alison's predictions.

Finally, her expert advice on reflux and how it is different to colic is so useful to mothers and doctors alike. She is an expert in this area and should be given the respect she deserves for making such advice accessible to all mothers.

My main recommendation: read this book before you give birth and use it as a guideline to help you find the best way 'for you' and your family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Success, 21 Jun. 2014
Ms Ma O'Kane "Mumoffive" (n.i.) - See all my reviews
Fab book. Got it for my 4 mth old. She adjusted easily to the new routine with relative ease within a few days and we are a much better rested and happier family now

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my sanity!, 5 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Sensational Baby Sleep Plan (Paperback)
Buy this book! Thoroughly recommend you read before baby arrives as preps you (as much as is possible) for getting into a routine from the get go. Sleeping baby from 6weeks was the result (and 11 months later, he's still a brilliant sleeper)

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book that is clear simple and straightforward - and ..., 1 July 2014
K. Harland (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sensational Baby Sleep Plan (Paperback)
A fantastic book that is clear simple and straightforward - and most importantly if you stick to it it works!

The Sensational Baby Sleep Plan
The Sensational Baby Sleep Plan by Alison Scott-Wright (Paperback - 8 Jan. 2010)