4.0 out of 5 stars A modern book of blessings
John O'Donohue's death earlier this year was a sad, sad loss.
Heard him at Greenbelt in 2007 and he was simply awesome.

If you've not read any of his books, then I would not advise you starting with this one. Start with Anam Cara, which in my view is his masterpiece.

This book of blessings will make much more sense after you've read Anam Cara...
Published on 30 April 2008 by Celtic Edgewalker

1.0 out of 5 stars Left me cold
I was surprised to be bought this book by a member of my close family. They thought it a book for people who have faith in supernatural explanations and for those who do not. I am the latter and an atheist.

Religious believers may glean more useful "blessings" from the texts and prayers of their chosen faith.

Setting beliefs aside, I find the book...
Published on 26 April 2008 by T. J. Fairless

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A modern book of blessings, 30 April 2008
This review is from: Benedictus: A Book Of Blessings (Hardcover)
John O'Donohue's death earlier this year was a sad, sad loss.
Heard him at Greenbelt in 2007 and he was simply awesome.

This book of blessings will make much more sense after you've read Anam Cara and perhaps one of his other books first, like Eternal Echoes.

If you have read one of his earlier books then this book will be a treasured resource for you to dip in and out of. John O'Donohue is a wordsmith of the highest order and his turn of phrase is delightful.

He covers themes such as Beginnings, Desires, Thresholds, Homecomings, States of Heart, Callings and Beyond Endings.
It is a book of poetic blessings in his unique Celtic style.

I have used the blessings to encourage family and friends and I too have found solace in the wonderful imaginative depth of his words.

It receives 4 stars, as Anam Cara must rank higher with 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars a very gratefully received gift, 4 Sep 2008
Nick (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Benedictus: A Book Of Blessings (Hardcover)
My new father-in-law bought this for us when we married last month and, though I don't myself share the Christian background John O'Donohue's writings clearly spring from, I'm finding it a very subtle, touching book. The sentiments are sincere and tangibly deeply felt, the words carefully and very skilfully chosen to open up a topic and expose it to fresh, revealing light. Has made me re-view a few things, anyway! One of the other customer reviews compares the style to a greetings card but, though I'm not entirely comfortable with organised religion myself, and though I concede this is hardly T S Eliot, I do think that that reviewer may just have an issue with people so uninhibitedly expressing a spirituality that they don't value.

5.0 out of 5 stars benedictus, 10 Feb 2009
Mrs. E. A. Curran (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Benedictus: A Book Of Blessings (Hardcover)
Excellent! As are all of J.O'Donohue's writings. However when I also purchased 'Blessing the space between us' I discovered that this was the same book as 'Benedictus'published by an Amercian company but they were being sold side by side by Amazon without reference to this fact and it was more expensive! As it was a Christmas Gift I had no alternative but to keep it. From choice I prefer the format of the original publication.

5.0 out of 5 stars blessings by the bucketful !!, 29 Jan 2009
Angela M. Smyth (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Benedictus: A Book Of Blessings (Hardcover)
I loved this book by John O'Donohue and was shocked to subsequently discover that he died a year ago.
If you do nothing else in this life, read this book - it will lighten your life, make you think and give you the most wonderful sense of being truly blessed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 15 Dec 2008
This review is from: Benedictus: A Book Of Blessings (Hardcover)
The Hardback copy is a beautiful production. The text contains many beautiful prayers and blessings for many life situations. A book to lift the spirits at difficult times.

4.0 out of 5 stars gentle words, 1 Jun 2009
This review is from: Benedictus: A Book Of Blessings (Hardcover)
I have read many of O'Donahue's books and his thought provoking words have always inspired me. This book is a different in that it provides a whole book full of blessings for different times in life...a new love, loss, age, beginnings. It would make a lovely source for sending good wishes or comforting words to others in times of need. He is a marvellours writer and philosopher.

5.0 out of 5 stars greeting card, 16 Jan 2010
M. M. Christophe "chris m" (FRANCE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Benedictus: A Book Of Blessings (Hardcover)
I picked up this book in a bookshop on holiday in Ireland.Picked it up expecting a sugary 'greeting card ' culture.Only had to read one blessing to realise how deep it goes. [The author has a PhD in Hegel ; the most difficult philosopher for God's sake.]The last few days I've been quite depressed , tonight I looked at this book by chance read blessing on 'courage'.It almost instantly turned me around to being optimistic , lifted my self indulgent depression. Some 'greeting card' ! This book is quite simply unique ; I know of no other book like it , religious or otherwise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blessings galore, 25 July 2010
Mrs. Sheila Bartlett "Book Worm" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Benedictus: A Book Of Blessings (Hardcover)
A lovely book to be lifted on all occasions. I have seen it used at various times by clergy. However, it is great to have it just for inspiration and to help one reflect on the blessings in one's life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book if thinking of 'New Beginnings', 4 Jan 2009
L. CLANCY "clangermasters" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Benedictus: A Book Of Blessings (Hardcover)
My first read of New Year 2009. An inspirational book about change and the courage required. I am a life coach and have being reading a lot of material designed to encourage people to make positive change in their lives. This book is highly inspirational. Every sentence is loaded with meaning and one needs to read it slowly to fully appreciate the depth of thought. This is a book one can dip into, reading and re-reading short inspirational extracts. A real joy. I feel great about my year ahead.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful gift to give someone at a major crossroads or transition in their lifes, 9 Jan 2011
This review is from: Benedictus: A Book Of Blessings (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my Father-in Law who is 90 years old for a present when his wife was taken into a Nursing home. He loved it. An ideal gift for those who need comfort especially at a time in life where they may be reflecting back on their life to find meaning and understanding especially at a major crossroads or transition. It is an ideal gift for those who can still read but who would find reading a book too tedious. A beautiful quality book both in its presentation and content.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Benedictus: A Book Of Blessings
Benedictus: A Book Of Blessings by John O'Donohue (Hardcover - 5 Nov 2007)