4.0 out of 5 stars A good addon for the Malazan series
I've read all Erikson's Malazans book's so far, and find them to be among the best fantasy books out there at the moment.
The only drawback is keeping up with the complexity and scope of it all. Keeping places,time and people(especially people) apart is a chore if it's a long time between reading the book's, and that's a problem in this book aswell.
Although...
Published on 13 May 2008 by L. W. Gulbrandsen

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but
The good news is that this is definitely a book of the Malaz. Esslemont and Erikson are doing a good job of sharing their world. And we do get new pieces in the puzzle :)

The bad news is that Esslemont, while close to Erikson in style and narrative, does not have the same touch with his characters. Wry humour, witty exchanges or character motivation are...
Published on 12 Dec 2006 by R. Amundsen

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy addition to the series!, 20 Feb 2009
Peter Thomsen (aalborg, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This is a great addition to the Malazan books. While Eriksons main books tumbles on towards a climax, we are given a glimpse into a lot of prior events. But still with somewhat of a distance, we only glimpse Dancer and Kellanved - and hear mere snippets of dialouge from them. But we are given a more clear picture of the chaos that sparked all the events we are now reading about in Eriksons books.

As far as the storytelling ability of Esslemont. It's first rate. While he doesn't have the same humour as Eriksson, you can tell he cares for his protagonists. It's a different, but similar voice, that gives the malazan books more texture. One small quibble, sometimes it seems that he looses the sense of a conflict or a fight, and I had to read passages more than once just to make sure I understood who did what to whom... But this is only a small quibble, and well, Esslemonts co-conspiritor is renowned as a master of describing fights, wars and things of that nature, so the bar was probraly set a little too high...
The night of knives was a strange evening indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent addition to the Malaz... how much?!, 13 July 2005
This review is from: Night of Knives (Hardcover)
This is a good and enjoyable story that adds even greater depth to the Malaz world, written by a man who helped Steven Erikson develop said world in the first place. The style is very similar of course, and it's nice to have a novel that's not quite as huge as the Book of the Fallen ones so I don't lose too much of my life to reading it. My only problem is the price, £35 for a book signed by a man I'd never even heard of and a first time author?

3.0 out of 5 stars Nah..., 24 Jun 2008
Flemming Nielsen (Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night Of Knives: A Novel Of The Malazan Empire (Hardcover)
I bought this book because I'm a big fan of Erikson's writing. In spite of the somewhat lukewarm reviews it had had, I was hoping Night of Knives would be a fairly decent book, adding to the already immense history of the Malazan world. Sadly the book didn't really deliver. Yes, there was a bit more detail about the fall of the emperor and so forth, and a few cool(-ish) references to some of the nastier and lesser known denizens of the Malazan world, but overall, the story was messy and seems to have been part of a larger story. There seems to be an underlying assumption that the readers know more about the situation in which the story takes place, than we are actually told. On several occasions, this leaves us wondering what just happened.
I'm probably getting Esslemont's next book as well, but then I am a bit of a completist. I can tell you though, that I would not have gotten very involved in the Malazan world had I read Esslemont before I read Erikson.

4.0 out of 5 stars A promising start, 1 Aug 2013
As a fan of the malazan book of the fallen series I was left in a rut once I finished the crippled god, I was happy to come across these sets of books by ice. I looked forward to learning a bit more about those events and characters that get a half a page mention in the mbof. I enjoyed the read and the story to NOK I just wish the book itself was longer, I understand that the book is based upon one night on Malaz island but after reading the 700 average pages in the mbof books I felt a little bit half full. But over all a good read and on to the return of the crimson guard I go.

3.0 out of 5 stars Early epic history explored, 18 Sep 2007
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Night Of Knives: A Novel Of The Malazan Empire (Hardcover)
As co-creator of the Malazan world we see Ian tackling earlier events in a prequel that allows the reader to see how the Emperor to become the occupant of the Shadowthrone. Originally published by PS Publishing, Transworld have now thrown their hat into the ring to bring this tale to Stevens fans at a more acceptable price. If youre not a fan of the series then perhaps your best avoiding this as to suddenly be thrust into the world without prior knowledge that many others have gained through Stevens work will confuse many people to a very frustrating level. In fact the book relys on the fact that you do know Stevens work so perhaps its best to come clear on that straight away.

A slightly clumsy style of writing but one that will nether the less enthrall the fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed the Malazan books, 10 Dec 2014
I really enjoyed the Malazan books, came to them late, with a short wait for the conclusion. So moved on to Esslemonts with a very fresh memory of his "esteemed co-developers" books of the Fallen. I was pretty shocked really, and feedback is a little mixed. i genunily enjoyed this and the next two just as much.

They really flow, with great characterisation in the same Erikson achieved in his books. I didnt always like the way he took the guard..... but was gripped with what would happen next, the greater detail about "The Vow" was also very interesting, adding real depth to the characters. I've moved on to the next books and just a good so far.

If you like the genre, 100% worth a read. You wont be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great beginning, 18 May 2008
Adam Foster (Helsinki, Finland) - See all my reviews
The Malazan world certainly is deep enough to support two writers, and I was delighted to find this book as enthralling as Erikson's earlier work. The style is different, but equally good and more suited to the presentation of a tighter storyline. I cannot say whether it works without being familiar with the others books, but if you like great writing and don't mind your brain working while reading, just get this along with as many of Erikson's books you can fit on your shelf.

4.0 out of 5 stars Night of knives, 6 April 2009
Gary A. Allen "Wareonian" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
Bit more fast paced, less descriptive than his brother author Steven Erikson. As such comes across a bit less polished and more rudimentary than the Malazan book of the Fallen. However it is still a very good book and gives a good background to several key characters. It is a must read for any fans of Steven Eriksons epic tale. The action takes place over a single night (hence the title) so the scope for subtle unravelling of plot twists and oh my god moments are somewhat restricted, it is however a damn good read so stop reading this and buy yourself a copy and read it through in a single afternoon. Enjoy

3.0 out of 5 stars Good effort, 20 May 2009
L. Goff "L.J.G" (South wales, UK) - See all my reviews
I'll be honest i did enjoy reading this book. However sometimes the writing feels rushed and not thought out. The characters dont really develop properly and you come away with the nagging question 'Why are they doing it?'.

Esslemont is a good writer but hes just not erikson and when you compare the two its obvious who the superior writer is.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's great!, 30 Oct 2006
This review is from: Night Of Knives: A Novel Of The Malazan Empire (Hardcover)
Captures the spirit of Erikson's world and writing, this isn't a long epic like his books but a very worthwhile addition to the collection all the same. It's definitly not some piece of fan fiction junk by someone who's never met the author, he contributed to the building of the Malaz world so I can't wait for the next one to come along!

Night Of Knives: A Novel Of The Malazan Empire
Night Of Knives: A Novel Of The Malazan Empire by Ian Cameron Esslemont (Hardcover - 4 Jun 2007)
Used & New from: £4.76