4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading by anyone with an enquiring mind
The first time I read this book I was left feeling dissapointed. However after re-reading certain sections of the book a few times, the ideas become easier to grasp and really blow your mind when you realise what they mean. Anyone who would like to know what the theory of relatively is, have an idea of the classical views on the universe, or a little about quantum...
Published on 15 Sep 2006 by T. Kemp

3.0 out of 5 stars More accessible but less for it
For those looking for a more accessible version of a 'brief history' you could try it, but it has less to offer than A Brief History Of Time: From Big Bang To Black Holes. There is updated material but the other book has more to offer overall. It depends on what you are looking for but it's still best to consider both books before making a choice.
Published on 7 Feb 2012 by Ecosurfer

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly clear, 6 Oct 2013
J. Forse "John Forse" (UK) - See all my reviews
In spite of their reputation of most bought ,least read, books, this second of Stephen Hawking's books for the general reader is brilliantly clear. He tackles difficult scientific & philosophical questions in a way that let's you see the thought processes & experiments of the leading people trying to solve them.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: A Briefer History of Time (Paperback)
I am not an expert in physics, far from it, but I can still follow this book, enjoy it and learn from it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Briefer History of Time, 4 Feb 2009
M. E. Forge "book worm" (Sunny England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Briefer History of Time (Paperback)
The magnificent Stephen Hawkings mind, which leaves most of us struggling after a few words, has done a great job here. Much easier to read and understand than the original, but you still have to be able to concentrate. A fascinating book.A Briefer History of Time

5.0 out of 5 stars Easier read, 9 Aug 2014
So much easier to read than A Brief History of Time which as a retired science teacher still I struggled with. It has coloured illustrations too. Half way through and enjoying the read. Fascinating perspective on the universe and our place in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as technical as the original - I hope..., 13 Dec 2014
Mr. R. J. Crediton-hughes (London) - See all my reviews
I've not read this yet. I have read 'A Brief History of Time', but some of the theoretical stuff was a bit confusing. I'm hoping the 'idiot's guide' will help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astrophysicist, 3 Nov 2014
Prof hawking knows his onions...recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Aug 2014
This review is from: A Briefer History of Time (Paperback)
Really worthwhile read - at least twice!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very captivating book., 31 July 2012
This review is from: A Briefer History of Time (Paperback)
I am a fan of science... I am not specialist or student whatever, just simply man who's curios about this strange world.I liked the book so much than I did not realized when I done read it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another name dropper by Leonard Mlodinow, 31 Jan 2011
This review is from: A Briefer History of Time (Paperback)
Mlodinow appears to have discovered a profitable line in 'ghosting' books by famous physicists. This title is almost a re-run of Some time with Feynman, one of the few books I regret purchasing. The whole book is given a spurious depth by dropping in tired old cliches like 'Science doesn't need God'. What science needs is evidence and numbers; not this kind of ultralightweight vapour.

I did not notice Mlodinow's name when I saw the book, I was in a hurry and thought to myself 'Hawking is always good for a challenge'. Wrong again! Another title for my list of regrets.

The text plods terribly; it is hard to imagine 'Another of the main tenets of the uncertainty principle, formulated by Werner Heisenberg in 1926' emerging from Stephen Hawking, perhaps it did, I have never met the man.

When trying to explain the history of quantum physics the text cannot even distinguish velocity and momentum, not a shortoming that has ever been found in Hawking's mind I hope. The unhappy author manages to write out a number, the Planck constant with all of 34 zeros and rounds 6.626 down to 6, he doesn't say what units (J/s) he is using. He does even worse for the mass of the electron giving 29 zeros, none separated by a comma and no unit of any sort, I don't think the figure given is correct by any scale and I'm not going to check it either.

This sort of stuff is clearly written to impress those not familiar with physics in any form, it is a shame it does not have the slightest flavour of the subject. It would be nice to think anyone seeking an introduction would gain at least a little insight; not from this book they won't.

I cannot imagine how a reviewer could give a five star rewiew to such a book, then Mlodinow's books tend to attract five star rewiews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a present ...., 12 Jun 2013
I bought this as a present for my son-in-law and his feedback was very positive and said he thoroughly enjoyed it and would highly recommend it.

A Briefer History of Time
A Briefer History of Time by Stephen Hawking (Paperback - 11 Sep 2008)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available