Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 August 2014
So much easier to read than A Brief History of Time which as a retired science teacher still I struggled with. It has coloured illustrations too. Half way through and enjoying the read. Fascinating perspective on the universe and our place in it.
on 3 February 2015
I'm not sure why this book is titled 'A Briefer History of Time'- it seems to be more a history of scientists struggling to understand the nature of the universe. I'm not especially scientifically minded (or interested) but did manage to understand most of the early parts of the book, but understood less and less as the book progressed- I guess that would be because science itself doesn't fully understand things. It seems Einstein himself didn't much like the ramifications of quantum theory which well illustrates one of the problems science has with the many 'diehards' who stubbornly cling to old ideas and refuse to move into newer paradigms. I predict quite a interesting future as we do move into a new paradigm and all the arguments we get from the atheist crowd who for all the wrong reasons cling to materialism as we know it.
I was hoping to get this book to read on a recent holiday, but it came late, luckily, as I was quite bored reading it. I did tend to think after the read, 'so what'. The book predictably fails to answer any of the important questions, but I was reading it only out of curiosity.
on 9 November 2010
I'm more an English Lit and History kind of man, and I found A Brief History of Time impenetrable. This version however has benefitted from some careful consideration on someone's part about how to take the reader along, and on a pretty exotic trip at that. I am neither a mathematician nor a physician, but I couldn't put it down. It is enthralling.

Now I'm heading on to the next instalment.....
on 7 July 2015
I enjoyed Brief History...when it was first published several years ago. As a layman much of it was beyond me. But a lot of science reading since then, and very clear illustrative material in Briefer History...has made the latter very enjoyable and informative. I think I now know the difference between quantum theory and string theory!! Thank you. As a Baptist Minister I remember clearly Stephen's last line about knowing the mind of God. I have my own views on that, though!
on 19 February 2014
Haven't read the brief history of time but have read most of Brian cox books on same topics. A briefer history of time is easier to understand which is saying quite a lot really and means the book is a great buy for anyone interested in understanding the history of the cosmos, relativity etc.
on 19 October 2010
it is probably a good idea to issue this book as a short version. I'm sure you will learn everything a layman needs from this. If it is not detailed enough, you are probably deep into the subject anyway. On the one hand, it is engagingly written and an easy read; on the other it leaves you with a big "so what" at the end. The general theory of relativity and what Einstein really showed, does not seem terribly well explained to me and yet understanding this is fundamental to the rest of the book. On the positive side, the cute illustrations are sometimes helpful as well as amusing.
on 8 August 2009
This is a fantastic book for anyone who is a little interested in whats going on out there, or what has occured :)

I studied A level physics and its been about 3 years since i have done any more on the subject. After a renewed interest i picked up this book and it is super. Goes into as much detail as you need for a beginner, and if you want to go deeper, there is always the previous book - a brief history of time.

S.Hawking has done a fantasic job and simplyfying and explaining the underlying concepts in this book. Thank you :)
on 17 July 2016
Fantastic read, written in an engaging and interesting way which is easy for someone who has relatively little knowledge of the subjects tackled. Brilliant, would recommend to anybody who is interested.
on 24 January 2014
If you're in the slightest interested in the cosmos and the ideas surrounding the big bang, then this is the book for you. I was only disappointed that the book didn't have enough pages.. I was engrossed in the theories and ideas right to the final page. A must buy.
on 7 February 2012
For those looking for a more accessible version of a 'brief history' you could try it, but it has less to offer than A Brief History Of Time: From Big Bang To Black Holes. There is updated material but the other book has more to offer overall. It depends on what you are looking for but it's still best to consider both books before making a choice.