Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 March 2009
After months of poor sleep I was at my wits end. I have always been able to fall asleep but less good at staying asleep throughout the night. The book contains sensible tips and some ideas which I was already doing and some new ones which I adopted. None were extreme or silly. But its the CD which makes this a 5* purchase for me. I listen to it while I fall asleep and amazingly it seems to let me go into a deeper, better quality of sleep. If I do wake during the night (much less often now) I can put back on the CD to help me drift off again. Its very comforting and relaxing and I would recommend giving it a try.
0Comment|134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 April 2009
Insomniacs rejoice. For years I would fail to fall to sleep or have broken sleep. This book and CD that helps you sleep. I read the book and used the CD as instructed. My sleep improved immediately. After 2 weeks I able to go to bed and fall to sleep within minutes. On waking I felt fine instead of the usual lousy feeling. Granted some of Paul's ideas are simple. I had tried similar techniques without success. This book and CD is well structured and has useful shortcuts.
on 8 January 2009
I had the original 'Sleep Like A Log' audio cassette; many of the rules are contained in this new approach, such as:
1 Get up earlier,
2 Go to bed when you're tired,
3 Don't watch tv in bed,
4 Get up if you can't sleep,
5 Don't take naps during the day.
However, there are new tips, like not taking caffeine after 2pm; at first I found this was bringing on headaches, but it just goes to show one can become addicted to something without realising it! You are also advised to not eat 3hrs prior to retiring, in order for the digestive process to settle down.
There are also pragmatic approaches to the things that disturb your sleep, ie, worry, noise, light and temperature.
Paul suggests you sort out your worries during the day, so that intrusive thoughts, whether good or bad, don't disturb you at the 'wrong' time.
I wish I could comment on the content of the hypnosis cd, but I've drifted off before hearing much of it!
I haven't awarded the full 5 stars because there are still occasions when I am woken in the night,but I find the exercises for returning to sleep hard to focus on.
Robert Lumsden wrote in the book 23 Steps to Success and Achievement: The Dynamic Plan That Will Change Your Life; 'sleep comes easiest unsought; cultivate indifference to it'.
After all, if you make a big deal of not sleeping you get, as Paul says, 'more of what you focus on'.
33 comments|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 August 2009
Not read the book, i bought it just for the CD as occasionally i suffer from insomnia and i tend to find that sleeping tablets don't work for me, plus i'd rather not take any pills if i don't have to.

Anyway i bought it and transferred the CD onto my MP3 player in January after 3 sleepless nights, the second night i'd taken a popular herbal sleeping tablet, and the third i'd taken a regular sleeping tablet, all without success.
I listened to it and the first time i found his voice amusing, it both relaxed me and made me giggle a bit.
Anyway i listened again and fell asleep before the end.
I continued to use it for the rest of that week and slept without any problems and then stopped using it but whenever i've suffered insomnia since i've listened to the CD and it's always worked for me so far.

Don't know how it works but it does for me, and it's cheap enough to be a risk-free purchase for anyone.

Must admit i was sceptical about it before i bought it but i'd certainly recommend it to anyone, the CD at least!
on 22 April 2009
I read the book which made it easy for me pinpoint the reason for my lack of sleep. I then downloaded the disc onto an MP3 player so that I could listen in bed without disturbing my husband. I found it quite disconcerting at first to hear an unknown, but intimate sounding voice in my ears whilst snuggled up in bed. I think I listened too intently on my first hearing and I was slightly sceptical - but - believe it or not I had a wonderful nights sleep. I listened on four consecutive nights and found that I awoke feeling relaxed rather than stressed. I now listen a couple of times week and although I don't guarantee to have a good nights sleep every night I cannot believe how successful the 'therapy' has been. Still it's not always necessary to understand but just to accept.
on 11 September 2010
After years of poor sleep and restless nights, resulting in sleeping tablets from the doctor (zopilcone) I am now tablet free. and it is all due to Paul Mckenna and this book.

I started having sleeping problems five years ago, the occasional bad night, but this gradually increased until I was forced to go to the Doctor. Zopilcone allowed me to sleep, but I soon became hooked on tablets. Afraid the Doctor would stop prescribing my tablets, I inter-spaced them with anti histamines, strong painkillers, over the counter remedy's and I am afraid to admit friends tablets for depression, including diazepam and amitriptyline.(yeah what sort of friends are they I hear you say, but addicts have a way with persuasion...)

Yes I was hooked and for the last year or so unable to sleep unless I had taken something. I was desperate and on the verge of buying an expensive mind machine that was supposed to train me to sleep. But a friend recommended Paul's book and to be honest there has been no looking back. It truly is a miracle. The cd is great, but for me it is the method in his book that had the most effect. Just the ability to let go of the problem and not worry if I do not sleep, if I don't sleep then I get up and do something. But within two weeks of receiving the book, I was sleeping good quality sleep that had eluded me for years. So much good advice I just cannot believe it was that easy.

Yes it was hard at first, but I was determined to stick to it and I am sleeping, good quality sleep that leaves me refreshed and invigorated. I believe this book should be available on the NHS and should be mandatory before anyone is prescribed sleeping tablets (unless there is some real medical condition that is preventing them from sleeping). I just wished I had tried this book years ago, as I would not have spent the last five years in some sort of half life.

A big thank you from me to Paul McKenna
on 6 January 2009
I hadn't had a decent night's sleep in years until I had a go with this book and the brilliant CD which comes with it. I'm still working my way through the method but I don't wake up at 3.30 am any more and sleep through to the morning. I even feel refreshed when I get up, which is pretty nearly a miracle!
on 25 January 2010
For several years I have had problems with trying to get to sleep, waking through the night and then being unable to get back to sleep. It got to the stage where I would dread going to bed because I knew I would lie awake for hours. I had tried pills, potions and hot milky drinks with no success. Then I read Paul's book, and realised I was setting myself up to fail by focussing on the fact that I would not be able to sleep. That may sound obvious, but when you are in a state of desperation, as I was, the fear of not being able to sleep is very real. The exercises and visualisations in the book helped me to get into a sleepy state from the first night, although I had to listen to the CD twice at first - I think I was concentrating on the words too much. Now I play the CD and rarely reach the end. I wake up every morning feeling refreshed and rested, for the first time in years. Brilliant! I wish I had bought this ages ago, and can't recommend it enough.
on 24 December 2009
This product was bought in a time of desperation -sleep was only happening for short periods. My wife, the recipient, was only getting 4 to 5 hours of broken sleep each night. She would finally waken about 0300 which caused tiredness and irratibility.
After reading the book and following the instructions, her sleeping habit has changed dramatically. It is longer as fragmented, she wakens later and shows imrovement at a steady pace.
The product instructions when followed correctly can be very effective and is recommended to all insomnia sufferers with the will to succeed.

Recommended
on 21 April 2009
I was highly sceptical about how well this book would fair but, such is an insomniac's despair, I was willing to give it a go. All I can say is read it with an open mind and afford yourself the time to think what the Author is getting at and I struggle to see how it could not improve your sleep. I haven't slept so well in about 8 years. Thoroughly recommended.