Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 November 2007
I've always been sceptical of self help books, and particularly hypnosis, so when this was given to me as a gift I wasn't exactly over the moon.

My first point then, is that you won't lose your awareness or feel hypnotised at any point when using the cd (or book).

My main problem was social phobia - in classes at university I would go bright red, and was even beginning to stutter, when asking questions or giving corrections, especially in lectures. Having put up with shyness for 22 years, and with my fourth year presentations looming, I decided I didn't have anything to lose and picked up the book.

One of the first things that you're told is that you don't have to believe a single thing that it says - just do what you're told and see how you get on. None of the exercises are scary - rather than the "go out and talk to a stranger" that I was execting, it's more a case of recalling times of happiness and success. I would especially recommend the exercises at the end of each chapter if you feel your lack of confidence is stopping you from pursuing studies or your career.

I still haven't finished the book itself - I found the exercises quite difficult at first because they had a lot to do with life goals and motivation, which, as a drifter, I didn't really feel the need for.

The cd is brilliant, and I listen to it on the bus about every day or two. I find that it works just as well when I'm sitting down with my eyes open, rather that lying down as it recommends. I also don't notice any negative effects if I go without for a while.

After listening to the CD most days for about 2 weeks and reading most of the book, I've noticed a massive difference. I now feel comfortable starting conversations with people on my course, whether I know them or not. Even walking round town has become a lot easier -which is odd since I didn't even consider this as a problem. My heart used to thump when I answered questions in lectures - this still happens slightly, but it's getting better almost every day. In short - I look and feel comfortable, to the extent that I'm sometimes surprised by how "at ease" I look when I catch myself in the mirror.

I also feel more positive about my future, and whether it's a coincidence or not, after almost 5 years of indecision I've actually chosen a career - and I'm confident that I'll be able to fly through all the interviews and presentations that I'll have to do in order to get there. I'll definitely be going back to the book now that I have something to aim for.

Before I was given this book and cd I felt scared about my future - the thought of always being the shy or boring person in a group, and dreading any social occasions like graduation or even family outings. Thanks to this book none of these things feel problematic any more - I'm not quite sure how this has happened, but it has. If I'd actually bought this myself, it would have easily been the best £10 I've ever spent - it's definitely worth a shot.
1616 comments|523 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 May 2011
This book and dvd was a lifesaver for me. After 13 months of being unemployed, and with interviews being few and far between, I felt that I wasn't making the most of each opportunity as nerves were getting the better of me and I wasn't coming across as confident as I wanted to - hence the purchase.

The book made quite light reading, it's not at all heavy and the chapters are short and to the point. There are some visualisation excercises to do - which I didn't do very well as I found it really hard to visualise pictures and scenarios in full vivid colour but it didn't seem to matter and I did give them a go.

I played the dvd at least once at day and sometimes at night I put it on 'repeat' while I dozed off. (I'd wake up 2 or 3 hours later and turn it off before going staight back to sleep). It's very relaxing.

I had an interview a week after I started using this dvd and I know I came across a lot more confident than on previous interviews. I was called back for a second interview to give a Presentation and again, where previously nerves may have got the better of me, this time I came across confident once more.

Well I got the job (needless to say I'm really thrilled)and as far as I'm concerned, it's all thanks to this book and dvd so I'd highly recommend it to anyone in need of a confidence boost. It's a good price on here and well worth the money.
on 5 April 2015
I bought this book over a year ago now (in February 2014) and have been following the advice contained in it (and listening to the CD included with it) since that time. Without a doubt, this book has changed my life PERMANENTLY for the better. This book has become my manual for living a great life and I will always refer back to it.

Before reading the book I was someone who pushed themselves to achieve their best. Despite doing well at school, university, and at work, I was an anxious worrier and not confident in myself. I think I pushed myself hard to achieve things to make up for my feelings of insecurity and worry. I even slipped into depression at one point.

Prior to this book, I had read MANY other books on improving my confidence and self-esteem. In a nutshell, they did not bring about a permanent change in me over the long term. And so I was definitely sceptical that this book by Paul Mckenna was going to be any different to the others.

But this book did work for me, and it has brought about a lasting positive change in my life. I am happy with who I am, and I am excited about the future.

The book is very clear and concise on what to do. Everything is presented in a straight forward way and in plain English. This makes it very easy to dip into the book if you ever need to come back to recap a particular topic again. The CD is excellent, very relaxing, and covers all the ideas from the book.

Once I started reading the book and listening to the CD, I started feeling comfortable and happy in myself after a few days. This is what the first half of the book is about; feeling great as quickly as possible.

The second half of the book guides you through the process of creating goals for yourself, whatever they might be, so that you are working towards things that motivate and excite you. Doing this makes you feel better too.

Today, I still have my ups and downs of course (as does everyone else), but my highs are higher and my lows are higher too. I aim to listen to the CD everyday (I listen before going to sleep).

In the past, once I started feeling really good about myself, I stopped listening to the CD. Over time I noticed that my feeling of well being started to slip away slightly. Once I started listening to the CD again, my sense of well being returned. Hence I find it is better for me to listen to the CD (and do the 5 minute daily confidence workout) every day.

This book is worth the investment of your time and money. I hope that it helps you as much as it has helped me! :-)
on 23 April 2006
this book and cd are fabulous. I used it and noticed big benefits after a week. I still listen to it now every few days, it really has changed me. I highly recommend it.
on 14 August 2006
Im normally very cynical about 'self-help' books. Usually they're just common sense that you know anyway, or full of exercises that either impractical or hard to get the confidence to do (chicken and egg problem)! This book does genuinely seem to be different. It is a very simple read. So simple infact that, when you start, you wonder if you're going to get your money's worth, but I think its simplicity is the key, making it easy to take in and remember the ideas. And it actually works.. ok, no miracles, but you do start to notice a change, and quite quickly. Definately recommended.
on 14 April 2006
I had to give this book 5 stars because it really does do something to you. At first I thought it was a bit boring, not really for me and a bit simple. so you can imagine how strange it was for me when I got to the end of the book and realised it had actually affected me. I first notice the affects when I realised that the silly things that worried me, I was no longer that bothered about. It wasn't that I was overwelmingly confident or anything, just that I had an inner-calm about everything. The other weird thing that happend to me was about three quarters through the book; I stopped being so bothered about smoking. This wasn't meant as an intention of the book but I was supprised to see that someone else had commented on this at the back of the book.

Easy to read, and with the CD you will really get something out of this book.
on 15 May 2007
I was a singer/songwriter when I was younger, so I would have considered myself pretty confident at that stage in my life. Over the space of a few years since then, I had gradually managed to develop a fairly severe problem in relation to confidence, a fact that I had amazingly managed to keep hidden from my family and friends.

When I decided to change careers and train to be a teacher, I knew that I had to sort this problem out quickly (and cheaply), so I bought this CD/book (along with another one that didn't really help me).

I followed the program religiously (for a few days) and then eventually began just to listen to the CD at night (which I still do now from time to time).

I had my doubts, but this really did help me (both in relation to my particular concern and in life in general). Possibly my best buy ever.
0Comment|111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 April 2006
I decided to write a review after reading all the negative reviews here. I bought this book on my way to Paris at the Waterloo station. I read the book on the Eurostar train, and then listened to the CD once I got home. In the evening, I was going out for a birthday party (think lots of models, and gorgeous people everywhere). Normally, I would hide behind my boyfriend and be very very self-conciuos. But this time, it was very different. I felt confident, powerful and beautiful.
I have been listening to it everyday since. I have noticed dramatic improvements in my life. I love this book and CD. Would love to meet Paul McKenna himself and have several sessions with him also.
A life-saver.
11 comment|94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 February 2006
I had to attend an assessment centre at short notice and purchased this book. I flicked through the book and listened to the CD about 5 times prior to my assessment and I was much less nervous than I normally would be. It definetely helped me to feel more confident....
on 18 December 2006
I have to admit that I was very cynical about this book & CD, but, as I have struggled with various confidence problems for so long now, I was willing to give it a go and prove it useless...How wrong I was, I read the book and then listened to the CD on a daily basis. I am now 3 weeks down the line, and truly am a changed person! If you are, like me, sceptical as to whether to buy the book - I'd say, give it a go. It doesn't hand you confidence on a plate...but it does set you off on a confidence gaining path, giving you enough to go out there and grow your own confidence!

I will always be grateful for listening to the CD, as I feel I finally have a life again, and can't wait to live it to it's full potential.