Instant Confidence
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£9.09+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 27 November 2007
I've always been sceptical of self help books, and particularly hypnosis, so when this was given to me as a gift I wasn't exactly over the moon.

My first point then, is that you won't lose your awareness or feel hypnotised at any point when using the cd (or book).

My main problem was social phobia - in classes at university I would go bright red, and was even beginning to stutter, when asking questions or giving corrections, especially in lectures. Having put up with shyness for 22 years, and with my fourth year presentations looming, I decided I didn't have anything to lose and picked up the book.

One of the first things that you're told is that you don't have to believe a single thing that it says - just do what you're told and see how you get on. None of the exercises are scary - rather than the "go out and talk to a stranger" that I was execting, it's more a case of recalling times of happiness and success. I would especially recommend the exercises at the end of each chapter if you feel your lack of confidence is stopping you from pursuing studies or your career.

I still haven't finished the book itself - I found the exercises quite difficult at first because they had a lot to do with life goals and motivation, which, as a drifter, I didn't really feel the need for.

The cd is brilliant, and I listen to it on the bus about every day or two. I find that it works just as well when I'm sitting down with my eyes open, rather that lying down as it recommends. I also don't notice any negative effects if I go without for a while.

After listening to the CD most days for about 2 weeks and reading most of the book, I've noticed a massive difference. I now feel comfortable starting conversations with people on my course, whether I know them or not. Even walking round town has become a lot easier -which is odd since I didn't even consider this as a problem. My heart used to thump when I answered questions in lectures - this still happens slightly, but it's getting better almost every day. In short - I look and feel comfortable, to the extent that I'm sometimes surprised by how "at ease" I look when I catch myself in the mirror.

I also feel more positive about my future, and whether it's a coincidence or not, after almost 5 years of indecision I've actually chosen a career - and I'm confident that I'll be able to fly through all the interviews and presentations that I'll have to do in order to get there. I'll definitely be going back to the book now that I have something to aim for.

Before I was given this book and cd I felt scared about my future - the thought of always being the shy or boring person in a group, and dreading any social occasions like graduation or even family outings. Thanks to this book none of these things feel problematic any more - I'm not quite sure how this has happened, but it has. If I'd actually bought this myself, it would have easily been the best £10 I've ever spent - it's definitely worth a shot.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 February 2010
Quite simply, the methods in this CD and book will deliver if you commit to it. It relies on your active participation. So if you're not prepared to do your bit then go back to looking for the magic wand.

I have used this every day for a month and every day I am making progress towards big goals. By using the book as a daily reference, and the CD to reinforce the content, I am more confident around people, where before I would be something of a wallflower - often afraid to engage with people. Now I look forward to social occasions and really enjoy myself. I really feel each day I am becoming more comfortable in my own skin.

And that's what's great about this book. It is not about 'faking it', or behaving like a cocky idiot. It's about getting to know yourself and being comfortable with that. As you achieve this, you can then move onto achieving those goals you always wanted to, but lack of self-esteem and confidence held you back.

I wish good luck to anyone who buys this book. If it helps you achieve only half the success it's helped me achieve then you'll still have made amazing changes to your life. If it cost £1000 this book would be worth every penny.
on 10 November 2009
This book and CD have transformed my life.

I went from being a man who lacked confidence in the workplace, in everyday situations and with girls, to someone who is super confident in all situations and proud of who I am.

I am also a far far happier and positive person than I was 6 month ago when I brought this.

As soon as I read the first few sections of the book, I already felt twice as confident and this was before I had even listened to the CD! The book is very well written, short, snappy and to the point. It is full of tips and exercises which are so simple yet make a huge difference to your confidence and wellbeing.

The CD is the thing that really changes you though. I listened to it every night on my mp3 player before bed for about 7 days in a row. Even after the first session I felt totally different and a lot more relaxed and content. Every time I listened to it though I could feel myself getting stronger and calmer.

Before long, I found myself unfazed by life. I can now approach anyone and strike up a conversation, no matter how powerfull or beautiful that person is. I had a job interview last week as I was unfortunately made redundant in October due to cost cutting. I was super confident in my interview and I could see that I came across really well to the interviewers. Needless to say, I got the job, beating over 100 other applicants.

The great thing about Instant Confidence is that there is always room for improvement. If you were to listen to the CD everyday and take just 5 minutes every morning to do 'The 5 minute confidence workout' explained in the book, the sky is the limit!

It also doesn't make you cocky or arrogant. It simply puts you more in tune with your real inner self and as a result you will be proud of who you are.

If you want to be far more happier, relaxed and confident in life, I would recommend this. Don't expect instant results, it could take you a while to really notice a difference but you will get there, as long as you listen to the CD reguarly and re-read the short book now and then.
on 14 August 2006
Im normally very cynical about 'self-help' books. Usually they're just common sense that you know anyway, or full of exercises that either impractical or hard to get the confidence to do (chicken and egg problem)! This book does genuinely seem to be different. It is a very simple read. So simple infact that, when you start, you wonder if you're going to get your money's worth, but I think its simplicity is the key, making it easy to take in and remember the ideas. And it actually works.. ok, no miracles, but you do start to notice a change, and quite quickly. Definately recommended.
on 15 May 2007
I was a singer/songwriter when I was younger, so I would have considered myself pretty confident at that stage in my life. Over the space of a few years since then, I had gradually managed to develop a fairly severe problem in relation to confidence, a fact that I had amazingly managed to keep hidden from my family and friends.

When I decided to change careers and train to be a teacher, I knew that I had to sort this problem out quickly (and cheaply), so I bought this CD/book (along with another one that didn't really help me).

I followed the program religiously (for a few days) and then eventually began just to listen to the CD at night (which I still do now from time to time).

I had my doubts, but this really did help me (both in relation to my particular concern and in life in general). Possibly my best buy ever.
on 21 February 2006
2 months before Christmas I had a breakdown. Full on anxiety attacks which left me with a very strong feeling of fear of groups of people and noisy spaces. My confidence and self belief have been trully shot because I have felt so out of control. Now I hasten to add that I am taking anti-anxiety medication and seeing a counsellor in combination with reading this book. I started reading "Instant Confidence" 3 weeks ago and in that time there has been one hell of an improvement as observed by close friends and my partner.
This book is not a "sticking plaster" to cover up the cracks of your "self" without mending them. It shows you how to change that nagging voice at the back of your head. It gives you techniques to help you understand and resolve what you are trully feeling. It helps you create a "support structure" for yourself which does not rely on others, but at the same time allows you to open out to others in a way that you want to.
In this time there has been a marked improvement with respect to my partner which they have commented on. I am motivated to do my work again ((I am an artist)thank you to Paul Mckenna's "motivation switch"). My self confidence is not through the ceiling but I can walk into a crowded room without the slightest bit of anxiety and I can deal with conflict without dissappearing into a nervous wobble.
Things to remember- this book is a guide to help you through what you need to become a more "authentic" you. It doesn't give you answers, but, it does give you techniques, space and a structure for you to pick up, reach out for and understand what you want from your life.
As others have said, these techniques are in other books, but as someone who hasn't read these other books I can say that you can do a lot worse than start with this one.
on 23 April 2006
this book and cd are fabulous. I used it and noticed big benefits after a week. I still listen to it now every few days, it really has changed me. I highly recommend it.
on 11 May 2011
This book and dvd was a lifesaver for me. After 13 months of being unemployed, and with interviews being few and far between, I felt that I wasn't making the most of each opportunity as nerves were getting the better of me and I wasn't coming across as confident as I wanted to - hence the purchase.

The book made quite light reading, it's not at all heavy and the chapters are short and to the point. There are some visualisation excercises to do - which I didn't do very well as I found it really hard to visualise pictures and scenarios in full vivid colour but it didn't seem to matter and I did give them a go.

I played the dvd at least once at day and sometimes at night I put it on 'repeat' while I dozed off. (I'd wake up 2 or 3 hours later and turn it off before going staight back to sleep). It's very relaxing.

I had an interview a week after I started using this dvd and I know I came across a lot more confident than on previous interviews. I was called back for a second interview to give a Presentation and again, where previously nerves may have got the better of me, this time I came across confident once more.

Well I got the job (needless to say I'm really thrilled)and as far as I'm concerned, it's all thanks to this book and dvd so I'd highly recommend it to anyone in need of a confidence boost. It's a good price on here and well worth the money.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 31 July 2008
I was deeply cynical of this book at first because it sounds a bit dipsy and the actions involved make you feel more than a bit silly, esspecially sitting down to be hypnotised. But the CD is quite interesting because it does change the way you think - even though it may not make you truly confident in the conventional sense. I think what the CD does is give you access to a different persona which you can fit into...you imagine someone you know who is very confident (choose carefully because this works, bizarely) until ones true authentic self (ego) emerges and develops. After a month or so I found myself somewhat more confident esspecially in job interviews for example. And these days I feel about 100 times more confident than I was two years ago - and I do feel happy to express who I am. Can my confidence be attributed to the book? Maybe not, but then perhaps the book is the catalyst - that first push to get the ball rolling. I recommend this book because if you are truly low in confidence what have you to lose - nothing. You just need a push in the right direction. This book is that push.
on 4 April 2006
I decided to write a review after reading all the negative reviews here. I bought this book on my way to Paris at the Waterloo station. I read the book on the Eurostar train, and then listened to the CD once I got home. In the evening, I was going out for a birthday party (think lots of models, and gorgeous people everywhere). Normally, I would hide behind my boyfriend and be very very self-conciuos. But this time, it was very different. I felt confident, powerful and beautiful.
I have been listening to it everyday since. I have noticed dramatic improvements in my life. I love this book and CD. Would love to meet Paul McKenna himself and have several sessions with him also.
A life-saver.