5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin!
I've always been sceptical of self help books, and particularly hypnosis, so when this was given to me as a gift I wasn't exactly over the moon.

My first point then, is that you won't lose your awareness or feel hypnotised at any point when using the cd (or book).

Published on 27 Nov 2007 by Jayne

2.0 out of 5 stars Temporary relief...but doesn't dig deeper
After suffering from anxiety, depression and confidence problems I decided to do something about it and this was one of the first books I bought.

I'm not here to slate this book, as there are other people who've endorsed it and it did provide temporary relief for me. Personally, I was looking for a quick fix to my problems, and for a brief period aftewards it...
Published on 28 April 2009 by Inner Journey

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin!, 27 Nov 2007
This review is from: Instant Confidence (Book and CD) (Paperback)

My main problem was social phobia - in classes at university I would go bright red, and was even beginning to stutter, when asking questions or giving corrections, especially in lectures. Having put up with shyness for 22 years, and with my fourth year presentations looming, I decided I didn't have anything to lose and picked up the book.

One of the first things that you're told is that you don't have to believe a single thing that it says - just do what you're told and see how you get on. None of the exercises are scary - rather than the "go out and talk to a stranger" that I was execting, it's more a case of recalling times of happiness and success. I would especially recommend the exercises at the end of each chapter if you feel your lack of confidence is stopping you from pursuing studies or your career.

I still haven't finished the book itself - I found the exercises quite difficult at first because they had a lot to do with life goals and motivation, which, as a drifter, I didn't really feel the need for.

The cd is brilliant, and I listen to it on the bus about every day or two. I find that it works just as well when I'm sitting down with my eyes open, rather that lying down as it recommends. I also don't notice any negative effects if I go without for a while.

After listening to the CD most days for about 2 weeks and reading most of the book, I've noticed a massive difference. I now feel comfortable starting conversations with people on my course, whether I know them or not. Even walking round town has become a lot easier -which is odd since I didn't even consider this as a problem. My heart used to thump when I answered questions in lectures - this still happens slightly, but it's getting better almost every day. In short - I look and feel comfortable, to the extent that I'm sometimes surprised by how "at ease" I look when I catch myself in the mirror.

I also feel more positive about my future, and whether it's a coincidence or not, after almost 5 years of indecision I've actually chosen a career - and I'm confident that I'll be able to fly through all the interviews and presentations that I'll have to do in order to get there. I'll definitely be going back to the book now that I have something to aim for.

Before I was given this book and cd I felt scared about my future - the thought of always being the shy or boring person in a group, and dreading any social occasions like graduation or even family outings. Thanks to this book none of these things feel problematic any more - I'm not quite sure how this has happened, but it has. If I'd actually bought this myself, it would have easily been the best 10 I've ever spent - it's definitely worth a shot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Sensible Proven Method, 2 Feb 2010
P. J. Robertshaw (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Instant Confidence (Book and CD) (Paperback)
Quite simply, the methods in this CD and book will deliver if you commit to it. It relies on your active participation. So if you're not prepared to do your bit then go back to looking for the magic wand.

I have used this every day for a month and every day I am making progress towards big goals. By using the book as a daily reference, and the CD to reinforce the content, I am more confident around people, where before I would be something of a wallflower - often afraid to engage with people. Now I look forward to social occasions and really enjoy myself. I really feel each day I am becoming more comfortable in my own skin.

And that's what's great about this book. It is not about 'faking it', or behaving like a cocky idiot. It's about getting to know yourself and being comfortable with that. As you achieve this, you can then move onto achieving those goals you always wanted to, but lack of self-esteem and confidence held you back.

I wish good luck to anyone who buys this book. If it helps you achieve only half the success it's helped me achieve then you'll still have made amazing changes to your life. If it cost 1000 this book would be worth every penny.

4.0 out of 5 stars recommended, 31 July 2008
A. Beeton "adamblue" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Instant Confidence (Book and CD) (Paperback)
I was deeply cynical of this book at first because it sounds a bit dipsy and the actions involved make you feel more than a bit silly, esspecially sitting down to be hypnotised. But the CD is quite interesting because it does change the way you think - even though it may not make you truly confident in the conventional sense. I think what the CD does is give you access to a different persona which you can fit into...you imagine someone you know who is very confident (choose carefully because this works, bizarely) until ones true authentic self (ego) emerges and develops. After a month or so I found myself somewhat more confident esspecially in job interviews for example. And these days I feel about 100 times more confident than I was two years ago - and I do feel happy to express who I am. Can my confidence be attributed to the book? Maybe not, but then perhaps the book is the catalyst - that first push to get the ball rolling. I recommend this book because if you are truly low in confidence what have you to lose - nothing. You just need a push in the right direction. This book is that push.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is trully great and I can say it has helped me, 21 Feb 2006
This review is from: Instant Confidence (Book and CD) (Paperback)
2 months before Christmas I had a breakdown. Full on anxiety attacks which left me with a very strong feeling of fear of groups of people and noisy spaces. My confidence and self belief have been trully shot because I have felt so out of control. Now I hasten to add that I am taking anti-anxiety medication and seeing a counsellor in combination with reading this book. I started reading "Instant Confidence" 3 weeks ago and in that time there has been one hell of an improvement as observed by close friends and my partner.
This book is not a "sticking plaster" to cover up the cracks of your "self" without mending them. It shows you how to change that nagging voice at the back of your head. It gives you techniques to help you understand and resolve what you are trully feeling. It helps you create a "support structure" for yourself which does not rely on others, but at the same time allows you to open out to others in a way that you want to.
In this time there has been a marked improvement with respect to my partner which they have commented on. I am motivated to do my work again ((I am an artist)thank you to Paul Mckenna's "motivation switch"). My self confidence is not through the ceiling but I can walk into a crowded room without the slightest bit of anxiety and I can deal with conflict without dissappearing into a nervous wobble.
Things to remember- this book is a guide to help you through what you need to become a more "authentic" you. It doesn't give you answers, but, it does give you techniques, space and a structure for you to pick up, reach out for and understand what you want from your life.
As others have said, these techniques are in other books, but as someone who hasn't read these other books I can say that you can do a lot worse than start with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars simple and it works, 14 Aug 2006
M. Hallam "wick2270" (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Instant Confidence (Book and CD) (Paperback)
Im normally very cynical about 'self-help' books. Usually they're just common sense that you know anyway, or full of exercises that either impractical or hard to get the confidence to do (chicken and egg problem)! This book does genuinely seem to be different. It is a very simple read. So simple infact that, when you start, you wonder if you're going to get your money's worth, but I think its simplicity is the key, making it easy to take in and remember the ideas. And it actually works.. ok, no miracles, but you do start to notice a change, and quite quickly. Definately recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars It REALLY Works!, 15 May 2007
This review is from: Instant Confidence (Book and CD) (Paperback)
I was a singer/songwriter when I was younger, so I would have considered myself pretty confident at that stage in my life. Over the space of a few years since then, I had gradually managed to develop a fairly severe problem in relation to confidence, a fact that I had amazingly managed to keep hidden from my family and friends.

When I decided to change careers and train to be a teacher, I knew that I had to sort this problem out quickly (and cheaply), so I bought this CD/book (along with another one that didn't really help me).

I followed the program religiously (for a few days) and then eventually began just to listen to the CD at night (which I still do now from time to time).

I had my doubts, but this really did help me (both in relation to my particular concern and in life in general). Possibly my best buy ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant Confidence, 5 Feb 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Instant Confidence (Book and CD) (Paperback)
I seriously recommend this book. It is life changing. I was bullied in secondary school and my first few years of university were not pleasant either, so it would be fair to say that my confidence wasn't what it could be.
It is in essence a self help book but because the CD is included it feels a lot more personal, and I like that aspect of the book the most. Since I've started using the CD and read the book I have done a fire walking session, and I found my behaviour changed completely, I was talking to complete strangers with ease and even volunteered to go first!
Thank you so much Paul McKenna, 2006 is going to be a good year!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want your life to change then it won't hurt trying this., 28 April 2006
This review is from: Instant Confidence (Book and CD) (Paperback)
I have to agree with the most recent review that this book and CD are excellent. Yes, a lot of what Paul says is common sense. However so many people nowadays don't think like that or we would not need self help books etc. The CD is very powerful and the book is very interesting and some of the exercises have really helped me already. I have being doing the CD for a week so far and I can already see changes. I would also reccomend Change your life in 7 days.

5.0 out of 5 stars instant cure, 23 April 2006
This review is from: Instant Confidence (Book and CD) (Paperback)
this book and cd are fabulous. I used it and noticed big benefits after a week. I still listen to it now every few days, it really has changed me. I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helped me through an interview!, 27 Feb 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Instant Confidence (Book and CD) (Paperback)
I had to attend an assessment centre at short notice and purchased this book. I flicked through the book and listened to the CD about 5 times prior to my assessment and I was much less nervous than I normally would be. It definetely helped me to feel more confident....

Instant Confidence  (Book and CD)
Instant Confidence (Book and CD) by Paul McKenna (Paperback - 16 Jan 2006)
5.49