4.0 out of 5 stars A footballing biography - and well told at that.
Apart from considering Steven Gerrard to be a formidable footballer I have often wondered whether he is the aloof star the media would have us believe.

Of course I also wanted to know what it was like living the moments I had celebrated as a fan - especially as an England fan.

First things first. This is not truly an 'autobiography'. This book is...
Published on 6 Oct. 2007 by J. Potter

2.0 out of 5 stars Sensitive boy
To be fair Gerrard comes across as a straight talker, surprisingly sensitive for a professional footballer, interesting to read how homesick he would get on international duty for England. Didn't feel like the ghostwriter caught how Gerrard talks though, and when he criticises anyone it's always easy targets, e.g. Clinton Morrison, El Hadji Diouf, etc. Liverpool fans will...
Published 17 months ago by Keith Brady

4.0 out of 5 stars A footballing biography - and well told at that., 6 Oct. 2007
J. Potter "johniebg" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

First things first. This is not truly an 'autobiography'. This book is unequivocally and only the footballing life of Steven Gerrard. If you are wanting to know anything about Gerrard's life outside of football then you are not going to find that detail here. His wife gets about three pages in over 400.

What we do have is a story of a passion for football, Liverpool and England. And that starts with a unique approach to the childhood portion which so often bogs down these books. There is no emphasis on the poor roots, or how hard life was. We start with a nod to the tragedies of Liverpool's past and how that motivates Gerrard the man. We then skip onto life as a child from a child's perspective. The telling of this portion is almost innocent and really sets you up for the frank and honest discourse that follows of his adult life.

And that is the quality of this book. It doesn't seem that Gerrard is particularly emotional, at least from the text of this book, but he is phenomenally driven. Through the whole story it is his focus on football and the desire to succeed that fills the pages. It is his honest recounting of this that really does keep us wanting more.

PROS: Quite beguiling for its honesty; including his childhood years alongside and in the shadow of his friend Michael Owen; his wide eyed emergence into the professional footballing ranks, and his conversational appraisals of many great footballers - you understand why the great are the great. The detail on his FA Cup goal against West Ham is priceless. He comes across as being wonderfully naïve at times, especially during his contracts talks with Liverpool.

CONS: I wasn't looking for detail outside of football, there is little. This may put others off. Gerrard seems able to rally teams from the clutches of defeat but you have little understanding of the 'how' come the end. His recounting of the key games does not include the emotions that drove him just of the technical detail and key moments.

SUMMARY: A different take on the sports biography and unlike many others there is a genuine and engrossing story to be told. It is well worth taking the time to read this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very frank, honest & refreshing, 25 Sept. 2006
Captain EO "No. 7" (Cardiff, Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gerrard: My Autobiography (Hardcover)
I'd been eager to read Stevie G's story for some time so when this book was finally released I nipped out and got it and couldn't put it down. Compared to other autobiographies from footballers of recent times it's far more revealing & honest and that's what makes it such a good read.

Gerrard really doesn't hold back on his opinions, whether it be a player or manager who'd upset him or people in the England Youth Set-up. Whilst this is mainly a good thing it's also one of the few things that slightly lets him down as you soon learn that if you've ever come across him & doubted him in any shape or form then there's a good chance he'll think badly of you. At times this smacks of arrogance but at least it reveals Gerrard's true personality unlike many other books whereby the writer just aims to paint themsleves as perfect citizens.

The only other negative with the book is that the amount of very strong language used throughout will prevent thousands of his younger fans from reading about their idol. It's actually part of what makes the book so refreshing as you can imagine him saying every single line of the book as opposed to being assisted by a journalist but at times it does get quite colouful - be warned !!!

Any Liverpool fan should definitely pick this up as his account of the events of the Champions League success & FA Cup victory over West Ham are simply brilliant to read. Also nice to know that even modern-day footballers sneak the odd beer or two into their diets !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars My Review Of Steven Gerard's Autobiogrphy By Michael Rowsell, 20 Nov. 2007
Mr. Michael J. Rowsell (England) - See all my reviews
My Review Of Steven Gerard's Autobiography By Michael Rowsell

I am not A Liverpool Fan. However, I have always liked Gerard's football talent. I found the book to be very honest, by that I mean, as the reader, I felt Gerard has given an honest and frank assessment of what has happened during his career. Even if, in my opinion, at times he makes himself sound arrogant. I like that because I don't feel as if he is making himself out to be perfect.

I feel that the book gives you a great insight as to how he felt after success and failure. For example, when I read the chapter about the night he lifted the European Cup in Istanbul, I felt as if I was there with him. I was able to feel his joy and his frustration at the contract problems he had with Liverpool which nearly lead to him joining Chelsea. This did upset him. I might be wrong but the book gave me the impression he was genuinely upset by the whole thing.

The only criticism I would have of this book is this. I would have liked to find out more about what he likes to do away from football. In the book he said he enjoys spending time with his family but says nothing about his individual interests.

I enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to any football fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars a look inside the mind of Stevie G, 25 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Gerrard: My Autobiography (Hardcover)
This book was excellent. He tells what it's like to play for the team he's loved since childhood - Liverpool - & England. I'm sure if you cut him open he'd have LFC stamped all the way through him! A brave player who gives 100% for club & country. He pulls no punches in explaining the "will he or won't he go to Chelsea or stay with Liverpool" which is to be applauded as he could just give his side of things to make Liverpool look the bad guys. Very impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars From Ironside to Istanbul, 4 Dec. 2006
BigJohnD (Glannau Mersi, Lloegr) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gerrard: My Autobiography (Hardcover)
This is an honest and touching insight into the achievements and personal development of young Stevie G. It's definitely a cut above the average autobiography of a footballer, how he nearly never played football ever again, the impact of his 10 year old cousin dying at Hillsborough, the disappointment of not being selected for the Lillieshall School of Excellence, where he discloses how he learned to play alongside his heroes while still being a scally teenager, revealing inside perspectives on the managers Houllier and Benitez in particular, the pressures and exaggerations of the press, joining the England squad as a teenager, the realisation that the individuals players at MUFC were OK despite the club being the long-standing enemy, the sadness of Michael Owen going to Real Madrid after playing with him since they were 9, the inspiration from and identity with the fans in the Atatürk Olympic Stadium, the torture of whether to leave Liverpool for a record breaking transfer fee, the break-up of his parent's marriage and the last gasp effort when suffering painful cramp to score the equaliser in the Cup Final.

Yet despite all this success and his financially secure future, he's still very much in touch with his roots and given half a chance, he'd back at Ironside playing with the boys and acting out the great games and goals - only now he has no need to pretend he's someone else.

I read this book over two days and loved it. Henry Winter and Paul Joyce deserve praise for how they have presented the tale of local boy does well and grows up.

However, I should really declare an interest, having been at both the 2005 European Cup Final and 2006 FA Cup final, and watched him many times from the Kop End over the last 8 years of his career.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little held back at the end I feel...., 21 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Gerrard: My Autobiography (Hardcover)
This is (mostly) a great book, and a good insight into the mindset of one of my favourite players, and clearly illustrates the determination he has shown in a Red shirt has always been there, overcoming early setbacks in his drive to succeed. The book starts with the moving tale of how the Hillsborough disaster touched the Gerrard household with the death of a young relative, and throughout it is evident how close Stevie is to his family, and how much he stills needs them, despite all his success. Football wise, the best tales are from the earlier eras, the Evans and then Houllier reigns, where he talks straight about his feelings towards some of his then team-mates. The latest stuff you feel has been very carefully edited, with little criticsm of current teammates under Benitez, and you get the feeling it may be a few years yet before we get a fully frank account of some of the current squad.

But overall, probably the best autobiography by a footballer I have read.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Read, 10 Sept. 2006
vivsy (rural hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gerrard: My Autobiography (Hardcover)
This is not the usual turgid stuff pumped out by famous footballers. Steven Gerrard comes across as someone who is genuinely passionate about the beautiful game and in this book describes in some detail the highs and lows that go with it. An easy and captivating read, this book is a must-have for any football fan and if you weren't a fan of his before, you will be when you've finished reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 9 Dec. 2008
I highly recommend this book to anyone even slightly interested in football. It gives a great insight into the childhood of a football genius. The book is written from the heart and gives an honest account of stevie's life and upbringing. It is written in such a way that it is hard to put the book down. It was great to see my fourteen year old (not usually a big reader) enthusiastic to read. He finished it really quickly. As an adult and a real football enthusiast, I really enjoyed an insight into the game from Stevies view point. Its a book I will keep and read again from time to time. I highly recommend it for both adults and young teenagers!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest football autobiography of all time, 2 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Gerrard: My Autobiography (Hardcover)
This book is amazing. It beats every other footie book you've ever read by miles. You really get inside Stevie's head and understand what it feels like to play for a team you love, both Liverpool and England. He doesn't pull any punches either - I wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of him!

A fantastic read from start to finish!

5.0 out of 5 stars Biographical Brilliance, 21 Feb. 2010
Mr. D. J. Bennett "danroyal" (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
"I was delighted to see that someone else shares my opinion on this masterpiece by Steven Gerrard and Henry Winter, I have been a follower of Manchester United and England since the early eighties and felt a little bit of a traitor when I picked it up for the first time. I just couldn't get away from what a quality player he was, the first time I ever watched him.

I was pleased to see that in my local waterstones, the book has been singled out for its attributes by way of a shelf edge label. The only football book out of hundreds! I'm so glad, it backs up my original opinion, this book just can't be missed. I recommend it to anyone who follows English Football, it begs the question of why Winter hasn't ghost written more often? I just hope he links up with some of the current United stars and reveals their biography. So far the best biographical book I've ever read.

I also wish Gerrard would just play for his country like he does for his club, just relax and want the ball all the time like you do for Liverpool. That would be my advice Steven, you are still one of the best midfielders in the world when you play for England. It just doesn't seem like you believe it when out of your club environment. I know your proud scouser and you hate the Mancs and all that, but, for four weeks this summer forget the club cliques and do it for England."

Gerrard: My Autobiography
Gerrard: My Autobiography by Steven Gerrard (Hardcover - 2 Sept. 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01