5.0 out of 5 stars An eye opener...
It may not be a classic work of literature but at face value this is an entertaining read.

This is a parable for our times that raises questions about our freedom and privacy as individuals. What makes it stand out from the pack (and unlike The Matrix) this is based on fact (did you not read 'How We Live Now' at the back?)

If you don't buy the...
Published on 29 Mar. 2006 by Tim Clark

3.0 out of 5 stars Tightly plotted, but not well written
The comparisons with the Matrix and Dan Brown are well-founded. The former as this shares the oft-used idea of a hidden subculture working against the 'illusion' of modern life; the latter because the prose is very much in the style of Brown's mechanical thrillers. Chapters are very short and alternate between three or four key locations, and depth of characterisation is...
Published on 27 Oct. 2005 by JonGy

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A ripping yarn and socio-politically resonant as well!, 22 Dec. 2009
This is one of those books that polarizes opinion in a big way - you either love it or hate it. I personally loved it. I couldn't put it down until I'd finished it, and keenly read the second in the trilogy too.

The story line is very well imagined and the characters are interesting and believable, though the main characters in particular are somewhat larger than life, which is slightly off-putting.

I think that the idea that modern technology, the internet, and surveillance equipment can be exploited by megalomaniacs to control the populace, is both feasible and very scary. In fact we in the western world are now watched and our actions recorded and analysed in many ways, such as supermarkets and other companies using our store cards to analyse our shopping and lifestyle habits, surveillance cameras in many parts of many cities and towns, emails and other internet and mobile communications probably being monitored (for "counter-terrorist" measures), anyone carrying a mobile can be traced to within a few meters, etc. This book highlights the degree to which our personal freedoms have been and are continuing to be curtailed. This for me is the most important aspect of the story - the rest is just a good, fast-paced and exciting scifi/fantasy thriller for those who enjoy that kind of thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars But I would walk 500 miles..., 19 Oct. 2009
After reading some of these negative reviews I had to scratch my head and seriously consider that I may have just read a different book entirely. Admittedly I am writing this review some months after reading the book and have watched criminal amounts of television and drunk copious amounts of 'dizzy water' since then - but from what I can remember...

On completion of this novel I remember saying, "Wow, that was without doubt the best book I've read in ruddy ages!" - yes, yes those were my exact words!

The plot was fascinating and despite if falling somewhere between grids in The Matrix at times, it was very intriguing and beautifully written. Truth be told, I can't remember exactly what happens, I remember a sword, a beheading, a motor-bike chase and a quantum computer, a sweat lodge and some blood...hmmmm

...okay perhaps this isn't the most informative review (blame the 'dizzy water') but this book really is worth your time. If you like your `sci-fi' in bite size morsels then you'll thoroughly enjoy this - (think galactic volovants from an Iceland docked at a space station and you're half way there)

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Gripping, 10 Aug. 2007
I really enjoyed The Traveler - it is a book I have been meaning to read for a long time and it did not disappoint. The plot is expertly crafted and very well written with some strong characters and ideas, particularly with the cross over between fact and fiction. I hooked on to the character of Maya to take me on this particular journey and cannot wait to read the second of the trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars More please!, 13 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: The Traveller (Paperback)
I couldn't disagree more with the previous reviewer - I thoroughly enjoyed this book and couldn't put it down. Very thought-provoking, especially since the scary world portrayed by the author is the one in which we find ourselves today (yet pretend we don't). The realms envisaged by the author offer a neat and all too plausible explanation of how different religions can all come together into one truth - I found myself believing (or wanting to believe) in this truth in much the same way as I did that of The Matrix.
I had thought this was a one-off novel so was very pleasantly surprised when I saw on the last page that this was indeed Book One, and I now find out it is actually the start of a trilogy. Write fast John Twelve Hawks, I want to read some more!

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 out of 10, 21 Jun. 2006
Easily got hooked on this book, the descriptions and story lines are just incredible. Each chapter even manages to draw you in even more, and I found it hard to put the book down. A book worth making into a movie trilogy. Already purchased 3 copies for my close friends.

The story line enables the reader to question the world we live in, and how easily we are led by the powers in charge, and also how easily we are quick to believe certain things we are told.

John Twelve Hawks has a hard job ahead of him with the trilogy. Very eager for the trilogy and I will be the first in line to buy them, a must for my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 31 May 2008
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Traveler (Hardcover)
Wow! This is an amazing book. I read between 150 and 200 books a year and I must say that this is one of the best books I have read in a decade. It is like a cross between the Matrix and Blade Runner, or Dan Brown's Angel's and Demons and a Tom Clancy novel. Or like a little known author James Bryon Huggins, it has mystery, suspense and intrigue, weapons and people who know how to use them.

The main premise is that there is a war going on in this world, but it is a war that most are unaware of. Like all wars there are two sides, The Harlequin's and the Tabula or as they prefer to be called `The Brethren'. The Harlequin's are warriors committed to protecting the Travelers; Travelers are people who have the ability to send their life energy from their body and travel to other realms. They are lonely isolated people who live to serve. The travelers often become gurus or healers or prophets. The traveler's after returning from a different plane of existence return changed and their views of life challenge other people to look at their own lives and to seek something more. The Tabula on the other hand want to control the world. They want to have control over every person's life.

Michael and Gabriel Corrigan are brothers and believed to be the last descendants of travelers. Michael ends up with the Tabula and Gabriel with the Harlequin's. This becomes a battle between good and evil, and a battle between brothers, like Cain and Able of old, the brothers will war. Also of significance is their names, only three angels are named by name in the Bible, and the brothers each bare one of those three names.

The book is a literary treasure filled with religious and literary reference from around the world and across traditions. It is a book for book lovers who will be intrigued by finding all the reference, yet the story is strong enough to capture the imagination of even the most casual of readers.

I believe this is a book that anyone could enjoy, and I can only hope that the characters will return in a sequel to continue the story.

(First Published in 'Imprint' 2005-05-06 as 'Traveling Through Life')

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Bag, 15 Oct. 2007
Wyvernfriend (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Almost a 4* book but not quite. This is a story very close to the bone with modern survelience techniques and the feeling that your freedom is being traded for same-ness. That we're all being encouraged to live and act like sheep instead of finding something that moves us and being true to ourselves. I'm not as paranoid as the author but I do find myself finding some questions about the path this world is taking

This is a story about some of the powers in the struggle for freedom or virtual slavery. The Tabula or Brethren are on one side. They want order, they want predictable, they dislike randomness. They have managed to get through to another realm via a computer but they need a Traveller to get all the data through so they can improve the order in the world. One of their problems is that they have been systematically killing off the Travellers, so now the pool of candidates is very shallow. In fact it's two brothers with potential, Gabriel and Michael.

Gabriel and Michael come from a long line of Travellers. They've been trying to live in the shadows and "off the grid" for years. Michael yearns for normality, stability; Gabriel lives his live for those fleeting moments where he feels at one with the world. Neither of them have any idea what being a Traveller is all about.

Maya is a Harlequin. The Harlequins oppose the Brethren and try to keep the Travellers safe, while keeping the world of imagination and choice open. She's been trying to live a normal life over the past few years but she is one of the few Harlequin left who can keep choice open for the two brothers.

It's a bit over the top sometimes and the characters occasionally blurred for me. I didn't get a strong feeling of place in any of the cities and the story lagged occasionally. That being said I did find it an interesting read, it reminded me somewhat of White Wolf's Mage Role-Playing Game but without the magic. Instead of Magic it had Astral Travelling. It didn't make me want to rush out and get the sequel but it also didn't make me want to throw it across the room. For me it didn't read like SF, more Techno-Thriller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definite read, 18 Sept. 2005
This review is from: The Traveller (Fourth Realm Trilogy 1) (Hardcover)
I definately enjoyed this book, yes, the matrix, yes, big organisation, but I am interested in cryptology and security and the things being used in this book are available now and the technology probably only needs money spent and it could be used for everyone. it is a thought provoking book and I will read the next two.
his book is where escapism meets reality and I'm not usre who is going to win. I would love to live off the grid where I could actually keep myself private. is big brother watching?, read the book and see....

4.0 out of 5 stars 1984 George Orwell updated, 2 Jun. 2006
I read this book on holiday and couldn't put it down. It's a pity that it doesn't make it more clear that its a trilogy but the story itself is excellent.

It revolves around the IT culture we live in today and poses many questions about our liberty and freedom in an updated Orwellian 1984 style. Focusing on Govt and Big business abiltity to use and control huge amounts of personal information without the publics knowledge via modern computing technology.

Although this is fiction and includes an element of "fantasy" it is perhaps to close to the truth for comfort with the speed of computer advancement. It's well written and fast paced and an enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure hollywood but very entertaining, 27 Mar. 2006
J. McGachy "mcgachyj" (wanstead, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Traveller (Fourth Realm Trilogy 1) (Hardcover)
Hating all the new books being compared to the da vinci code - however i guess in terms of pace and page turning addictiveness it matches the aforementioned book. It is a very hollywood book and easy to imagine it getting a movie release but this doesnt distract form the quality of read and the ideas in the book. It tends to play on the everyday mans laymans knowledge of someone always monitoring us and the danger attached to this, ie too much power in too few peoples hands but i really enjoyed the book. I finished in about 3 days reading on the tube and really couldnt put it down and certianly want more, he intends to write another 2 sequels so hope he gets a move on!

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

The Traveller (Fourth Realm Trilogy 1)
The Traveller (Fourth Realm Trilogy 1) by John Twelve Hawks (Hardcover - 4 July 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01