5.0 out of 5 stars The Fall Of A Legend
Well...word's almost fail me as I write this. Not only have i read every book ever released by David Gemmell, and the last being finished by his talented Wife Stella, I can now believe without a doubt Gemmell was the finest writer I've ever known.

This last trilogy had me year's ago when it was released, I preordered every new part to the series and only...
Published on 9 Oct. 2007 by Mr. Paul S. Hammond

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment
I am a huge David Gemmell fan and thought the first two Troy books were excellent. Unfortunately with the third you can tell where his wife/ghost writer took over, as all of a sudden characters seem two dimensional and behave out of character. I finished the book, but it left me feeling quite disappointed in the end. I gave it 3 stars purely because I appreciate Stella...
Published on 20 May 2008 by Mr. Philip Mcginness

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Farewell, 30 Sept. 2007
Mr. JV Denning "JDenning" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Troy: Fall Of Kings (Hardcover)
This book stands as the most fitting epitaph to a great author - both my congratualtions and sympathies to Stella Gemmell in completing this masterpiece in such a way and in what must have been difficult and emotional circumstances. The book combines powerful tales of love, tragedy, war, heroism and brotherhood as few other books ever have. I loved this book and all of David's books and grieve that their like shall not grace the bookshelves again. Thankyou David Gemmell and thankyou Stella Gemmell - I shall read Legend again soon and all of them once more with Troy Fall of Kings waiting for me at the end once more.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fitting End, 18 Sept. 2007
Robbie Swale - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Troy: Fall Of Kings (Hardcover)
Troy: Fall of Kings is a fitting and spectacular end to David Gemmell's acclaimed Troy trilogy. It is in this volume that all the really famous parts of the Troy legend are described, although don't expect it to be all as the legend dictates - as Odysseus tells us, story tellers make lies from truth and truth from lies.

This book is masterful - it makes you hope that this is how it was, and not Homer's suggestion. The characters developed through the first two books in the trilogy are exposed here in all their glory, as emotions run high, battles are fought, strategies and tricks are played, and people's worlds tumble down. It picks up the story with the Mykene and their king Agamemnon plotting to move in on Troy in order to wrestle King Priam's treasury away from him, and ends in the aftermath of the great siege, encompassing so many vivid scenes of the type David Gemmell is famous for.

The book was finished by David's wife Stella after his death in 2006, but it would be impossible to tell where he stopped and she started, because the writing, characters and plot line are unmistakably Gemmell. The love for brutal and engaging fight scenes, for heroes and villains who merge together, for wit and plot twists, and for scenes which make you laugh and then cry within a minute or two of each other. And also the love for the little details which make a reader go 'ahh', or chuckle to themselves as the events of history link together before their eyes. In this book, for me, it is the character of Gershom and the settlement at Seven Hills which make me think completely of Gemmell and the reasons why I have been reading his books almost exclusively for the past ten years.

This is a simply brilliant end to an epic tale of the age of heroes - it has all you could want from a novel of this genre, and I can only thank Stella for finishing it, and David for giving me so much to think about over the years.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb ending to a great series, 19 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Troy: Fall Of Kings (Hardcover)
I had waited ages for David to write another 'historical' fantasy - and just when it looked like my wish was granted, he was taken from us.

I was deeply impressed by the first two parts. It's 'Troy' - but not as you know it. David has never been one to follow convention, and true to form, he re-invents the Trojan myths and characters with style and flair - and with an uncanny air of authenticity.

I will admit some trepidation before starting this final instalment - how far had David got before his passing - and would Stella be able to finish it convincingly?

Fortunately, my doubts were totally unfounded - The final book is Stunning. It reads superbly, all of the many complex plots are tied up neatly, and as others have said, I struggled to find where David left off and Stella began. Indeed, I would go so far as saying that the Troy trilogy is possibly the best work that David (and Stella) has produced.

I have to say a huge "thank you" to Stella for finishing this book in a way that David would have been proud. It is a story that deserved to be finished, and the ending is just superb. The emotional closing scene is almost a metaphor David and Stella Gemmel themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Stella, 17 Jun. 2010
Maisie (Norwich, UK) - See all my reviews
This is my favourite series of books ever. The characterization is fantastic - far exceeding any other author I can think of. You really care about each and every character - even if they only enter the story for half a page or less. Also, the way Gemmell cleverly weaves the original story with his own imagination is breath-taking. I particularly liked how Helen was a plain girl who died heroically and was, therefore, said to be beautiful by the soldiers around her who could only appreciate womanly courage and virtue in terms of beauty - genius!

Another highlight was the scene with the half-wild stallion near the end of book two. I could hardly read it as my eyes were blurred with tears.

I like Gemmell's other work but, in my opinion, those books don't come close to this masterpiece.

All I can say is thank you Stella Gemmell for finishing this beautiful series. It would have been a travesty to literature for the series to be left without a conclusion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Done to David and Stella, 9 Sept. 2007
J. Chippindale (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Troy: Fall Of Kings (Hardcover)
It would be all too easy to sit here and eulogise about David Gemmell's writing prowess. Among the dictionary meanings of the word are: honour, praise, acclaim, commend, celebrate and compliment. I would be happy to do all of these things, but the best thing you can do for the memory of David Gemmell is to continue to read his books.

I am not sure how much input David actually had in the writing of this book, but he knew he was going to write it, but unfortunately died before he could do so. Having said that he would I am sure have left draft copies either with his publisher or his wife. His wife Stella's name stands proudly with his on the title cover and if anyone knew the words he was going to use it would have been her. As his researcher for many years, she has probably had more input into his books than many of us realise. I applaud her for finishing his final work and I am sure she gained enormous pleasure from doing so.

Again it would be easy to say that it is one of the best books written by him. To be honest I don't think it is. But it is a hell of a lot better than most other so-called top fantasy authors could produce. The subject matter of the book is self explanatory, but the characters are pure David Gemmell. The one thing that always stands out in my mind about David Gemmell's books was that they are always, and I mean always an enjoyable reading experience. The opportunity to get away from the every day drudgery that virtually all of us have to face and allow ourselves to be taken to another place and time. Be thankful for David's fertile imagination and the legacy of books that he has left for us to read again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Farewell, 7 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Troy: Fall Of Kings (Hardcover)
To my mind David Gemmell had reached the height og his powers prior to his sad death last year. I agree with the positive comments here and wont repeat what they say but would add a comment or two of my own.

I am surprised to note the rather negative comments below for this reason. I would also add that I thought the Skilgannon duo were a fabulous return to the Drenai saga. The overlooking of the ruins of Dros Delnoch was masterly as was the duplicitous nature of the Queen. Druss was arguably his most popular character so I will happily forgive him for bringing him back.

So far as Troy is concerned, I thought this was a fitting end. It's David's take on the poem of course and he makes a number of changes. Some people may miss the point of the series and the thought process behind the changes. Overall, the characters are classically Gemmell-esque and delightfully familiar for that reason. I liked the way that characters you would normally expect to see more of were a little less at the forefront as it added to the feeling that this was a different approach to the legend. There are many other attempts to read if the same old story is what you want to enjoy.

It also nicely draws upon the desires and 'politics' of bronze age kingdoms. People...Kings thouhgt in a very different fashion where in more modern language -'he dissed me!', is as good a reason for war as any (and perhaps the best!). Maybe some bronze age Kings were stupid in today's eyes.

Oh, and by the way, people of a certain importance receive what are known as 'Advance reading copies' of books, hence early reviews.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bold literary feat, 23 Jun. 2008
Ventura Angelo (Brescia, Lombardia Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Troy: Fall Of Kings (Hardcover)
Homer, Aeschylus, Virgil, and other literary giants wrote on the end of Troy. Kudos to David and Stella Gemmell for having risked comparison to them. The "alternate" history is fascinating and convincing: only little flaw, Agamemnon, if this were a graphic novel, should have "bad guy of the tale" tattooed on his forehead, or so it seems. And,well, Agamemnon's end as depicted by Aeschylus couldn't be surpassed, still his demise is admittedly much more spectacular. And one can't but admire the geo-historical precision of the tale, with Hittite, Egyptians, and others. I've loved Helikaon and Odysseus's portrayals. Alas, Gemmell is gone as the heroes he wrote about, but his magnificent novels shall remain.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!, 9 May 2008
Gary Austin (Derbyshire UK) - See all my reviews
This is book, and indeed a trilogy ,that deserves many more than the 5 stars Amazon allow me to award. It is written with a pace, humanity and realism that most authors can only aspire to.

Many of the other reviewers of this book have commented on Mr Gemmell's passing and the major contribution to his legacy of his wife Stella. I can only add that the Mrs Gemmell's contribution links seemlessly with that of her husband and together they have written one the best historical trilogies ever. I was hooked from the first chapter of the first book and stayed there to the end. If you like Cornwell, Iggulden or Scarrow read this, it beats all three hands down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent end to a brilliant trilogy, 18 Dec. 2007
Valleysboy - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Troy: Fall Of Kings (Hardcover)
I can honestly say I haven't read such a good book for a long time. There was action a-plenty and with a story so well known there were quite a few tweaks to the story that actually made it that much more believable. The epilogue fell a little flat but that is mostly because the Troy series was clearly not meant to be the end of this change in style for Mr Gemmell. From the style of the end there was clearly going to be a Rome series, sadly one that he didn't have a chance to write.

POTENTIAL SPOILER AHEAD!
(If you don't follow what I mean, research the true name of Helikaon, Aeneas and his lineage)

4.0 out of 5 stars Troy story brought to life., 25 Oct. 2007
S. Glossop "sgg" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Troy: Fall Of Kings (Hardcover)
Well written fiction history and a nice interpretation of the Troy story. Made me sad that I only realised that the book was finished after David Gemmell's death when I had finished reading. Again a good book for Iggulden and Scarrow fans.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

Troy: Fall Of Kings
Troy: Fall Of Kings by Stella Gemmell (Hardcover - 27 Aug. 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01