4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant novel
This book has the same humour and 'grit' typical of all Gemmell novels.
It continues from Troy - Lord of the Silver Bow. Although the main characters in this book feature only briefly in the first novel, it does have many of the same characters such as Helikaon, Andromache and Oddyeus. The main characters in this book are Banokles and Kalliades.

This book,...
Published on 28 Oct 2006 by Naomi B

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a disappointment
Sadly David Gemmell's last book before his death is somewhat of a disappointment. Lacking the fast pace of Lord of the Silver Bow it is still a good read but rather predictable. Characters and story line offer nothing new and plot development is very formulaic. Having said that Gemmell was justifiably viewed by many as the greatest fantasy author for a generation. Even at...
Published on 2 Oct 2006 by S. Murphy

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine tale, 21 Jan 2008
I finished this book this morning (2am), feeling very sad. Not because of the events in the book - which were, as usual, beautifully told in the effortless Gemmell style - but because I had just read that the author had passed away. For me there has never been another writer who could captivate me so completely, or hold my attention in the way that Gemmell could.

I will buy the final book in the trilogy of course. Because I've grown to love, despise or sympathise with numerous characters in the first two books. Then I will go back to the very beginning, and re-read everything he's ever written, because the man was, quite simply, a story-telling genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read....and a sad loss of a true "LEGEND", 25 Sep 2006
This review is from: Troy: Shield Of Thunder: The Shield of Thunder No.2 (Hardcover)
Yet another gripping story from Gemmell. All elements of heroic fantasy are once again included in The Shield of Thunder. Forbidden love, heroic battles, friendship, man to man fights and many more astonishing elements are all represented!

David Gemmell's death was a shock to me......

He created a "LEGEND" and I will remember him as a true LEGEND!

4.0 out of 5 stars David gemmell's TROY, 26 Feb 2010
William Harkin (Helensburgh Scotland) - See all my reviews
This really is an alternative version of Troy.If place and peoples names were changed you wouldn't have a clue you were reading about the Trojan war.Having said that it is a great read,once started it's difficult to put down.David Gemmell is a brilliant story teller,sadly he died before he could finish the third book of the trilogy,but his wife bravely took up the mantle and completed the book seamlessly.The heroes of the Trojan war are all there, but not as you might expect them to be.He introduces new "heroes" to his books and they blend in surprisingly well with the "old guard".Mr and later Mrs Gemmell Tell a tale that is vivid,pacey and some times quite gory.If you buy this book, just wait till you read his description of Helen,you WILL be surprised.I recommend this book to you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cliched, drab and disappointing, 30 Dec 2011
I liked the idea of re-telling the Trojan legends from a different angle, focused on fresh characters and I expected someone with Gemmell's imagination to at least create a sense of epic scale. Sadly this is a turgid, by-the-numbers, plodding bore of a book. The characters seem a frankenstein's monster of cliches and recycled tropes. The dialogue is often stilted and contrived and there is a real lack of descriptive flair to bring the sights, smells and feel of the Great Green and its peoples to life. I'm afraid when it comes to tales of the Greeks and Trojans Mr Gemmell's work is not fit to lace the sandals of a Mary Renault or Steven Pressfield.

3.0 out of 5 stars Formulaic middle book, 30 April 2007
A. Gothorp - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The Troy story could have been much better presented in two books, to pad it out to three just seems to be a sales driven decision to make money off David Gemmell's name as a best selling author.

This could have been a rewrite of `Lord of the Silver Bow', for three-quarters of this book the story doesn't move forward at all other than to briefly introduce Achilles to the scene. I very nearly gave up reading this and knowing what I know now I would have skipped to the last section of this book or gone straight for the last in the series, Fall of Kings.

Amazon reviewers are giving the Troy series a very good rating overall but I think there is a degree of sentimentality creeping in due to the tragic demise of the author in 2006.

Gemmell was a breath of fresh air back in 1984 and 1986 with the release of `Legend' and `Waylander' respectively, but that was more than twenty years ago. David's output was themed towards solitary invincible warriors, and we loved him for it. Fantasy is a genre with a bad image of only been suited to male adolescents battling with their hormones. Gemmell's output became a proponent of this poor image, but his readers didn't really care because Gemmell was so good at writing escapist fantasy about warriors and battles. Maybe to counteract this and move forward Gemmell tried to write aspects of the Troy story from a female perspective. I wish he hadn't. For me the female characters are contrived and awkward and quite painful to read, give me Waylander, Druss or Shannow any day.

From my perspective this book seems all the more weak as I just finished reading R Scott Bakker's `Warrior Prophet' before starting this one. Bakker's writing can be profound, that is not a word you would use to describe the majority of `Shield of Thunder', formulaic would be more appropriate.

I was intending to give this book only 2 stars but if you persevere to the last section of the book it is much better. The reason for this is that Gemmell starts doing what he does best, which is writing about warriors, battles and strategies.

Fall of Kings is the third book in the trilogy and is still due to be released later this year despite the aforementioned demise of the author. His wife Stella, I believe, will complete what David was unable to finish. I loved his work in the past and still retain copies of earlier books in hardback, and despite this poor middle book I still want to read Gemmell's version of the siege of Troy. I think I will still buy `Fall of Kings', albeit with a great deal of trepidation that I will only be reading more of the same, however I know it will be the very last Gemmell novel I will read so I feel impelled to read the last book from the past master. Then it will be time to move on to the Noviks, Bakkers and Martins of this world who are taking fantasy forward.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 1 July 2007
Dk Singh "Daz" (wolvo) - See all my reviews
I loved this book, i am a major book worm and the first book attracted me so after reading the first i went and bought this one and i was not dissapointed! Exciting plot lines and a great portrayal of the troy myth! 5****** all the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Sep 2014
spot on.

5.0 out of 5 stars David Gemmell R.I.P, 2 Sep 2006
J. A. GARIN (London, England) - See all my reviews
I was saddened at the news of David Gemmell's passing. My deepest condolences go to his family and friends.

David Gemmell's passing is truly a great loss to the literary world. His ability to draw you into his many wondrous tales, to share the thoughts and emotions of his heroes is a gift to treasure.

David Gemmell is certainly in the league of Homer - Miguel de Cervantes - William Shakespeare - J.R.R.Toikien - Robert E Howard... great story tellers all.

Juan Antonio Garin Navas.

4.0 out of 5 stars When will someone actually write a review for this book?, 30 Sep 2006
I see nine 5-star "reviews" for this book, but none of the reviewers actually seem to have read. All I see are min obituaries. There are many places online where this can be expressed separately, but if you feel you want to do it here as well, please do so at least in combination with an actual review of the book, so that anyone with an interest in it actually gains something from reading your reviews. I haven't read the book yet so cannot comment, but would love to hear some actual thoughts on it..

5.0 out of 5 stars End of an Era, 29 Aug 2006
Simply put, David Gemmell is the reason i read.

Thank you, you will be missed.

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

Troy: Shield Of Thunder: The Shield of Thunder No.2
Troy: Shield Of Thunder: The Shield of Thunder No.2 by David Gemmell (Hardcover - 1 Sep 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01