on 21 February 2013
Once again the all American hero does his thing. Gripping stuff, if a bit predictable now but nonetheless readable for all that! I've just about read them all and am eagerly awaiting the next instalment from Lee Child. Keep 'em rollin' Mr Child.................
on 4 January 2015
Well, it's a page turner, if a bit predictable . Plenty of action. Some of the characters aren't very believable and not sure if I approve of the Brit stereotyping. I haven't read any of the other Reacher books, but would have a go to see how formulaic they are.

I still giggle about Tom Cruise (short guy) being cast as Reacher (tall guy) in the movie: I probably won't go and see it as I'll be too distracted to see how they managed to fiddle with the perspective!
on 22 December 2014
This book is certainly a departure from previous Reacher books in that he once again becomes an investigator, something he is trained to do instead of the one man crusading maverick who is not above taking out a couple of the bad guys before breakfast, the man we have all come to love to right the wrongs of the world.

Reacher is employed by the head of a mercenary-for-hire company, Edward Lane, to investigate the kidnapping of the latter's wife, Kate, and daughter, Jade. A ransom is demanded and then another and then another amounting to 10.5 million dollars in total. This seems a very strange amount to be asking for and of course Reacher's interested is piqued.

Then Reacher discovers that Lane's first wife Anne was also kidnapped but she was killed before they could rescue her. Things get more and more bizarre as Reacher's work is cut out for him as he follows a trail which leads him first to London then to Norfolk where things really get weird.

Lee Childs delight at being on home turf is evident as he goes in to a full description about London streets and then about England's country roads and inns/taverns/pubs along the way. I couldn't really understand why Mr Child decide to take Reacher out of his comfort zone in America to head for the UK as it really wasn't in the best interest of the story that I could see...BUT...Mr Child obviously felt it was time to move him along in another country. I would have liked him to rediscover Jodie whilst he was there but that was not on the cards.

Reacher heads back to the States once the case is resolved, alone which was also odd as he had gone out with Lauren Paulding, a private detective who becomes Reacher's latest love interest although she is considerably older. I found the last quarter of the book not quite settled somehow, almost as though once the case was resolved it had to be ended quickly.

As I am working my way through the series I am glad to say that this is the first Reacher book I have had a quibble with so Lee Child still has my vote. Considering he has written 19 Jack Reacher novels and 4 short stories about the younger Reacher he hasn't done too bad at all.

Keep them coming Lee...thank you
on 9 December 2014
Great story line, I have read several of the Reacher series now. This book is slightly different as there is some travel involved which adds to the story line. I did wonder why the bad guys didn't rent more than one vehicle in London as money wasn't an issue.
on 19 January 2013
I am an avid fan of Jack Reacher and am reading the books in the order written. The last couple have been okay, but this one is a cracker. I read it in a couple of days, just couldn't put it down. As a page turner this is right up there with the best.
on 10 August 2012
I am working my way through all of Lee Childs novels after reading my first one '61 hours'. I have found that once I start a Child book I can't put it down and if I had the time I could read the whole thing in 1 day. 'Go Jack Reacher'
on 31 December 2012
When I first read a Jack Reacher novel I enjoyed it, but since then I have been progressively more disappointed as I folloowed Lee Childs' efforts. In a previous review I bemoaned the fact that he gets bogged down with detail. The reader doesn't want or care about the exact description of a room or place, particularly when the detail isn't relevant, yet Childs goes on and on. His books don't need padding, and would be far more readable without. I'm afraid the powers of deduction and detection bestowed on Reacher by the author in this effort defy credibility and we had to wait 'till the last three pages for the long promised action. I'm disappointed.
on 25 July 2015
I have loved all the Jack Reacher books until now. Would not advise this one if you haven't read any others as it may put you off. Not up to Lee Childs usual fast pace action and struggling to get through it. As I love this series of books I won't let it put me off and advise others to read others in the series first to ensure they get as hooked as the rest of us.
on 1 March 2014
I am a great fan of Lee Child and Jack Reacher but this is not the best example. The plot is a little flat and the move of the action to England produces some awful phrases and comments about England and the English. Not many of us think if the M25 as a Beltway !
on 6 February 2013
The whole Jack Reacher series is thrilling from beginning to end. i can't put them down, am totally addicted have read them all at least once and enjoyed them so much i am now re-reading some of them while i await the next installment.