5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic thriller
If you've read 'The Sinner' and don't think that the Amazon official review makes sense, don't worry. Both Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles return in 'Body Double' and it's every bit as good. It's not Jane that finds her doppelganger: it's Maura, but I won't say any more because I don't want to spoil the plot.
I recommend you read Tess Gerritsen's latest books in...
Published on 26 Feb 2005 by M. Thornton

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing
Published on 14 Mar 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic thriller, 26 Feb 2005
M. Thornton (Swansea, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Body Double (Hardcover)
I recommend you read Tess Gerritsen's latest books in order: 'The Surgeon', 'The Apprentice', 'The Sinner' and 'Body Double'. They are all fantastic thrillers and certain characters and storylines follow through the series. That said, 'Body Double' does stand up pretty well on it's own if you really don't want to read all four.
Tess Gerritsen's earlier thrillers ('Harvest', 'Life Support' and 'Bloodstream') were more traditional medical thrillers - her more recent novels are what I would call crime novels but are just as good. I would recommend any of these books as a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars BODY DOUBLE - MY REVIEW, 23 Aug 2004
Ap Nj Dorrall "nicky0512" (plymouth,devon) - See all my reviews
TESS GERRITSEN'S LATEST NOVEL IS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!
THE WRITING IS MS GERRITSEN'S ALONE, BUT IT HAS THE FEEL OF PATRICIA CORNWELL AND MARY HIGGINS CLARK, ALL MIXED IN ONE EXPLOSIVE BOOK.
DR. MAURA ISLES, COMES HOME TO THE POLICE AT HER DOOR. THEY THINK THAT SHE HAS BEEN KILLED - BECAUSE THERE IS A BODY IN A CAR OUTSIDE OF HER HOME WITH HER FACE ON IT. IT'S NOT HER THOUGH AND THIS LEADS HER ON A TERRIFYING JOURNEY TO FIND OUT WHO SHE REALLY IS.
BUT ARE THE ANSWERS ONES THAT SHE CAN LIVE WITH.
SHE NEEDS TO FIND OUT WHO THE WOMAN IS AND THIS THEN CHANGES DIRECTION AND ULTIMATELY LEADS TO A MURDERER WHO HAS BEEN KILLING FOR OVER FORTY YEARS.
THIS IS A FABULOUS BOOK, FULL OF TWISTS AND TURNS. QUITE SHOCKING TO THE READER AND A VERY ENGROSING READ.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping read from start to finish!, 26 Nov 2004
Body Double follows on from The Apprentice with gritty lead characters Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles.This book gives you a chance to find out more about Maura Isles background and you get to see more of the softer side of heavily pregnant Rizzoli, throw in a serial killer,romance, bags of suspense and of course numerous dead bodies and Body Double is one of the best and most riveting medical thrillers I've read!!Move over Patricia Cornwell!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as always, 21 Dec 2007
O. Doyle "celticshedevil" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I discovered Tess Gerritsen just as my enthusiasm for Patricia Cornwell was waning. Not only did I find an author who hooked me just as Cornwells early Scarpetta books did but I think I might actually have found an author who can tell a tale better than Cornwell. I took a reviewer on Amazon's advice and read the Jane Rizzoli series from the beginning and have loved every installment so far from `The Surgeon' to 'The Apprentice', 'The Sinner' and now 'Body Double'.....although I should stress that it's not necessary to read the books in sequence.

In Body Double the plot centers on a mystery surrounding Medical Examiner Dr Maura Isles who finds herself face to face with a twin she never knew she had. `Dark, sinister and well-crafted' are some of the comments that have been used to describe Body Double and I can't think of any better way of explaining the plot and story. But then that's no more than we've come to expect from Tess Gerritsen.

I've also read `Vanish' - the next in the series after Body Double and it too is fantastic. So if you're in the market for a fantastic thriller writer who'll keep you up till the early hours flipping pages then get you're plastic out and order the whole series!

4.0 out of 5 stars Downright Scary!!, 25 Sep 2005
Boston medical examiner Dr. Maura Isles returns from a Forensic Pathology conference in Paris to find four Brookline police cruisers, lights flashing, outside her home. When her neighbors, the cops, and finally friend and colleague, homicide detective Jane Rizzoli look at Maura in disbelief, she knows something is really wrong and that it must involve her. A dead woman has been found, sitting in the driver's seat of a car parked in front of her home. The Jane Doe, shot through the head, is Maura's body double. The two could be twins. And, in fact, the corpse shares her blood type and birth date. Further tests will show their DNA is a match. Maura was adopted in infancy and knows nothing about her birth mother or blood ties. The discovery that the same lawyer who handled Maura's adoption also handled the placement of the dead woman, another adoptee, is the final straw which sends Maura on a quest to discover her roots.
Boston Police Detective Jane Rizzoli, in her eighth month of pregnancy, realizes that her search for the killer converges with Maura's own personal investigation. Her findings, which are inextricably linked to Isles' past and present, are gruesome and point to many more than one untimely, violent death. As Maura delves deeply into her history, it becomes clear she may be the killer's next target.
"Body Double" is the first book I have read by Tess Gerritsen, but it won't be my last. Although this compelling suspense thriller is apparently part of an ongoing series featuring Dr. Isles, Detective Rizzoli, etc., it is definitely a stand alone novel. As I found myself riveted to this dark tale, I was glad to know that if I wanted to read more about the fascinating characters, I could do so in the author's previous books. Gerritsen's narrative is extremely well written, and at times, downright scary. Highly recommended!
JANA

4.0 out of 5 stars Chilling Look at Identity and Evil, 28 Mar 2005
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Crime-solving books often leave me cold . . . rather than moved by a sense of admiration for the characters, dread from the evil cast by the wrong-doers or interest in how the story turns out. Body Double was a powerful exception to that normal experience. The characters moved me to sympathy, I admired the main detective very much and I found the evil-doers to be truly creepy. With those emotions coursing through me, I read the book avidly and with great pleasure.
That surprised me because the jacket blurb made me assume that this would be a very formula-driven book about self-identity. While that theme is present, the way it is developed far exceeded my expectations and was very intriguing.
But the best part for me was contemplating the villains. These evil-doers represent an unusual type of wrong-doer in a crime and detection novel, and their characters were developed in a way that intrigued me . . . rather than just repulsing me. That made for a better story.
To get a sense of this book's theme and gut-wrenching qualities, imagine watching an autopsy of someone who looks just like you who has suffered a violent death near your home. What thoughts would be going through your mind?
Next, imagine that you are about to give birth and are confronting a remorseless killer. How would you try to save your life and that of your baby and eliminate the killer?
If you find those circumstances to be gripping, read this book.
I have not read any of the earlier books in the series, but I intend to read future installments after having been very impressed with this one.
The only reason I didn't grade the book higher is that the plot structure could have been tightened up a bit . . . and been even more powerful. It's actually more of a 4-and-a-half stars book, but there's no way to do that on Amazon.
I won't go into the plot which is thoroughly described in the editorial reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars thought provoking, 28 Jun 2011
Cloggie Downunder (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Body Double is the 4th in Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli/Isles series. The story starts with Maura Isles arriving home from a conference in Paris, to find the police at her home, called to a shooting. The victim looks uncannily like Maura, so much so that Rizzoli, Frost and co thought it was her. Whilst Maura was an only child, she was adopted, and DNA tests prove that this woman was her twin sister. Maura endures the singular experience of seeing her own body autopsied. As Rizzoli and Frost investigate, Maura learns some horrifying truths about her past. Once again, Gerritsen gives us a fast-paced story with an excellent plot and quite a few twists. And a gutsy victim who decides not to be. Gerristen also provides a bit of humour, some of it quite black: the eight-month pregnant Rizzoli "guarding" Isles; Rizzoli giving Isles relationship advice; and Maura, who has never exposed more than her hands and face at work, present as her morgue colleagues, Rizzoli and Frost see a body identical to hers under the knife. Gerritsen also gives us food for thought about "private" adoptions and where those babies come from. Another excellent read.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Isles of Dr Maura - oh, there are two, 18 Sep 2006
OEJ - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
How much you enjoy Body Double may well depend upon your experience with its author. If this is your first time round, then I would expect you to find it a very satisfying, well-paced thriller, but if (like me) you have read all three predecessors in the series, you may just feel slightly short-changed - especially after the peaks reached in The Apprentice.

Provided that you can accept the somewhat far-fetched story, this is actually the most intriguing and well-structured of the four books so far in the Rizzoli-and-later-Dr Isles series. Boston pathologist Dr Maura Isles, attractive, divorced and aged forty, gets more than a shock when a woman is shot in the head outside Dr Isles' house. She has to watch a colleague carry out an autopsy on the murdered woman who is her DNA-verified identical twin, yet until this day Maura had no idea that she had a twin sister at all. Hmm. I suppose it could happen, but it's stretching the credibility muscles a little. Anyway, Maura begins an investigation into her dead sister's past, and therefore her own, aided by the very much more colourful character of Detective Jane Rizzoli - recently married and expecting her first child anytime soon.

My problem is that Maura's nowhere near as interesting a character as Rizzoli, and although Rizzoli is the other leading character in this tale, she unfortunately takes something of a back seat in the narrative while Maura tries to put together the previously unknown pieces of her family's past, in particular her biological mother who gave Maura up for adoption and whose name and whereabouts were unknown until now. The story's very good - I won't spoil things by explaining it but it's certainly dark, sinister and well crafted - but when a character as `vanilla' as Maura Isles is burdened with the responsibility of carrying this tale virtually single-handed, it makes for less than satisfying reading when you are always aware of the more fascinating, complex and entertaining character that is Jane Rizzoli in the background. Whenever Rizzoli appears `on-screen', she lifts the whole atmosphere a notch or two, but sadly she has deliberately been placed one or two steps behind Maura Isles in this crime thriller and the thrills are diluted as a result. Maybe that's because Rizzoli is a fighter, as might be expected given her duties as a gun-packing police detective, while Maura, already known as a vulnerable type to readers of The Sinner, continues in a similar fashion here as one who needs protection and is unlikely to be able to fend for herself. That's the one key element that was lacking in this otherwise excellent story - a strong and feisty central character along the lines of Rizzoli. Also, much as in The Sinner, the novel seems to have been aimed more at female readers due to the two female leads (and female author of course) together with a lack of any strong male characters, be they on the right or wrong side of the law, and a storyline very much built around pregnancy, childbirth and babies. We've had some well-drawn baddies in the past in the forms of the Surgeon and the Dominator, and some welcome good-guys in the moulds of Detective Thomas Moore (who has completely disappeared for some reason) and FBI Agent Gabriel Dean, who scarcely gets a mention in Body Double. It means that for those of us who have learned to love or hate these various characters, we feel short-changed because out of those six, four of them don't feature to any significant degree and one of them is relatively uninteresting - leaving the best of the lot, Rizzoli, to carry the whole thing alone. Many will disagree on this point but in The Apprentice the character of Rizzoli was superbly built up for the reader such that we felt that we were inside her mind and soul, but instead of that being maintained she has frustratingly taken a back seat to the inferior Dr Maura Isles and the franchise is the weaker for it. Having got that off my chest, Body Double's weaknesses are reconciled by a powerful and gripping story which had me guessing (and guessing wrong) right to the end. Vanish, number five in the series, comes next and I just hope the roles are reversed and Rizzoli takes her rightful place as leading lady. She's earned it and we want her back. Well, I do anyway.....

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing, 14 Mar 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Body Double (Hardcover)
I'm a huge fan of Tess Gerritsen and her characters of Dr. Isles and Rizzoli, so I was delighted that both were included in her latest thriller. However I have to say I found this one a touch disappointing. It has an excellent story idea, but it's fairly slow-paced and takes a long time to get going, in contrast to the other titles in this series which command your attention from page 1. There's less action, less character development - still an okay book but not up to Gerritsen's usual standards. Wait for the paperback, or borrow it from the library - it's not worth the price of the hardback.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chilling Look at Identity and Evil, 28 Mar 2005
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Body Double (Hardcover)
If you find those circumstances to be gripping, read this book.

Body Double
Body Double by Tess Gerritsen (Hardcover - 17 Jan 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01