5.0 out of 5 stars Even Alan Sugar would like this

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not the best
Published on 5 Mar 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Even Alan Sugar would like this, 4 Sep 2006
OEJ & SKY - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
There are many crime thriller series out there but if there's one that should be read in chronological order, it's this one by Tess Gerritsen. Fortunately I knew the correct order before I read any of her work, and I do recommend that if you're new to Tess, and the Jane Rizzoli series in particular, you should read THE SURGEON first. There are now six in all, with number six The Mephisto Club released this month (Sept 2006) while The Apprentice is the second.

When I finished The Surgeon I assumed that the story ended, but it didn't - The Apprentice is very much a continuation of the theme and storyline. It's difficult to say too much for fear of spoiling things for anyone who has yet to read The Surgeon, but they certainly go hand-in-hand and I would suggest that the character of The Surgeon himself may yet reappear in the third of the series. In The Apprentice, events and feelings revolve closely around Boston detective Jane Rizzoli, single and in her early thirties, and very traumatised one year on from her nightmare experience with The Surgeon. Her partner in the previous book, Detective Thomas Moore, doesn't feature here although he is frequently mentioned. Instead, Rizzoli gradually finds herself developing what becomes something of an awkward alliance with a highly suspicious-acting FBI agent named Gabriel Dean. Despite her deep mistrust, she finds him very attractive and has to suppress her desires many times in the interests of retaining a professional image. They both have one thing in mind from that point of view - hunting down a psychopathic killer given the pseudonym of Dominator, who seems to be forming an alliance of his own with, of all people, the aforementioned Surgeon.

This book involves a far deeper and more intimate analysis of the mind and personality of Rizzoli, and it is carried off convincingly and entertainingly. The central character is female and so too is the writer, but this isn't a story by girls for girls. It will be read and enjoyed by one and all, and contains some fascinating medical detail, not the least of which is the (factual?) revelation of exactly what it is that makes this killer do what he does, what makes him so evil. There's nothing in his very ordinary childhood and background to turn him into a psycho, so none of the usual stereotypes apply here. No, but there WAS one thing that happened - I won't spoil things by revealing it here - and it makes for an interesting and credible take on the motives behind mindless killings.

As an established fan of crime-thriller-series authors such as McDermid, Deaver, Billingham, Reichs, Slaughter and Connolly, I'm more than pleased to add Tess Gerritsen to my personal library, and I'm off to read The Sinner straight away, followed by Body Double and Vanish. Tess has a very useful blog on her web-site by the way - it's great for wannabe writers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not the best, 5 Mar 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Apprentice (Hardcover)
The Apprentice is Gerritson's follow-up book to The Surgeon. It is well written and contains all of Gerritson's usual elements of supsense, but it is not as good as the surgeon. The Apprentice seemed to be too much like the Surgeon with the same plot line and the same problems that Rizzoi has to deal with. I felt that Gerritson could have done without writing the Apprentice, or if she felt that it was necessary to write she could have made it more dissimilar. To me, the Apprentice was like reading a second-rate version of the Surgeon. But overall, the Apprentice is a well-written book that I enjoyed reading. I will definitely buy Gerriton's next book. If you enjoy her work, I would recommend reading Gravity which i think is her best book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 3 July 2009
Once again an excellent book by Tess Gerritsen, I read the Surgeon and then went on to read the apprentice. This book focuses more on Jane Rizzoli but is an excellent read, just as good as the Surgeon, however there is an order to read these books in and I would recommend that it is followed. I do not normally write reviews but these books deserve to be recommended to all that like a good thriller. If you don't read them you will be missing out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Weak ending, 11 Dec 2004
D. Ashworth "Blue Eyed Wolf" (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Apprentice (Paperback)
I really liked this book but the ending was weak and very disappointing. It was as if Gerritsen got bored and just want to get the book over and done with. The way the characters react towards the end doesn't really fit in with what we learn about them in the book. Even though I didn't like the end the rest of the book was really good. I don't regret buying the book but I'm not sure I will be rushing to read it again right away. If the ending was a little more true to the characters I would have given this 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, 2 Nov 2006
Having read 'Body Double' and 'The Surgeon', I'm a new Tess Gerritsen fan and decided to take a look at 'The Apprentice'.

In this story we follow Detective Jane Rizzoli again, as she is tracking a killer who is showing similar patterns to a previous killer who she arrested. Things get even worse when that killer himself breaks out of jail and gets back into the fold.

The story is decent, and Gerritsen is able to tell a nice enough story, but for me the book is pretty flat. It lacks the suspense, and dynamism that 'The Surgeon' and 'Body Double' have. In fact a better title for this book would be 'The Surgeon II' as it is more of a sequel to that book.

So a good enough read, but luckily for Gerritsen, she is capable of writing much better than in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeds any Expectation, 16 Aug 2006
J. Stubbs (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This book, "The Apprentice", is the second outing the series from Tess Gerritsen. I borrowed this book from the local library. I wasn't expecting much, particularly as I had never read any of her other material, but I was astonished.

Never has a book gripped me in the way "The Apprentice" did. It grabbed me, reeled me in, and hooked me till the full-blown climactic finish. It is written with such passion, such unfaltering fervour, that Tess Gerritsen has now found a place in my heart.

She commands the language and prose used in such a way that she can mould the outcome with awe-inspiring result. The author pours all of her soul into the book and the way it is written made me truly horrified of the intensity and methodical view killers put on the subject of murdering women. The book radiates the author's disgust at the events, thus making the book last long in the memory and the mind.

The constant twists and turns make "The Apprentice" and absolutely awesome read. Has to be read to be understood. A gem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as The Surgeon....but not bad either, 3 Jun 2007
O. Doyle "celticshedevil" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I'm new to Tess Gerritsen but did my homework before I started on her books to make sure I read them in sequence as I dove straight into Karin Slaughter and it drove me nuts not knowing the history.

The Apprentice is definitely a continuation of The Surgeon as we team up once again with Detective Jane Rizzoli as yet another killer is one the loose in Boston. This killer has some of the same characteristics of The Surgeon, a case which has scarred Rizzoli both physically and mentally. The similarities beg the question - "could a killer who she put behind bars be teaching his tricks of the trade to somebody new?".

The book itself is not quite as page-turning as The Surgeon but I think that may be because The Surgeon didn't focus on any one character and kept you going from several different perspectives whereas The Apprentice is focused mainly on Rizzoli and the killers. I have to admit that I didn't warm to Rizzoli in The Surgeon and I still don't think she's a particularly likeable character in The Apprentice but I'm warming to her slowly. The Apprentice is still a cracking story and will keep you engrossed but the ending is slightly rushed. I'm still looking forward to the next installment however.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much like the first, 14 Oct 2012
Simon Jenner - See all my reviews
I read 'The Surgeon' before this and enjoyed it and I wondered where the author would go from there. I have to say that I was a bit disappointed with this as, whilst the main character continued to be fleshed out, the rest of the book was very 'samey' and never really took off for me.

I was especially disappointed with the ending, which for me was wrapped up far to quickly and conveniently and seemed like it had been rattled off to get the book finished. All of the 'samey' build up resulted in a very anti-climatic climax.

I'd like to give this three and a half stars because it is still superior to a lot of similar books out there and the writing is of high quality but I'm having to give it three stars because I can't honestly say that it deserves four.

I might try the next book but I'm wondering that as the main protagonist is female whether this series is more suited to a female readership. I'll probably try a few other authors before coming back to this series to see where it goes.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Apprentice, 5 April 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Apprentice (Hardcover)
I feel I must offer another review to this book as the first review is so negative that it almost stopped me buying the book. However, I am a great fan of Tess Gerritsen and having enjoyed "Gravity" and "The Surgeon" felt that I couldn't wait for the sequel to Surgeon to come out in paperback and therefore ordered it as soon as possible. I wasn't disappointed.
The book is a sequel, so you really have to read Surgeon first for the story to make sense. However, the first book concentrated more on Moore and Cordell, whereas this book takes Rizzoli as the major character. The characters are good, the plot exciting and the book is in no way a let-down after the excellent Surgeon. A thrilling read which kept me up until two in the morning reading. Thanks for another great book Tess!

4.0 out of 5 stars leaves you guessing, 12 Oct 2003
mrs maria morley (carlisle, cumbria United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
read the first book the surgeon and couldnt wait for the second part jane rizzolli is the main role in this book and just when she thought she was safe from the surgeon another lunatic comes on the scene after writing to the surgeon in prison,this time they want her to suffer and start to play with her mind,cant say anymore but please read the book,by the way just bought the sinner,must go to start reading

The Apprentice
The Apprentice by Tess Gerritsen (Hardcover - 3 Feb 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01