on 3 May 2016
Gret book
on 21 March 2011
First things first: The Crippled God is a HUGE book and, for its first half, I didn't think I was going to like it. Much like Reaper's Gale and Dust of Dreams, my two least favourite books in the series, there is a lot of talk to start off with, a lot of build up, a lot of conversations between lesser characters who, by and large, aren't quite as familiar (or good) as those that have, erm, fallen along the way.

As Adjunct Tavore is leading her army of Bonehunters and their various allies to a final confrontation much of the first half of the book is about the armies making their way east towards Kolanse, and the suffering they go through along the way. This is fine in theory but in practice it goes on a bit too long. Then, suddenly, about half way through, it's like Erikson flicks a switch, shifts through the gears, and suddenly he's back in the groove that I thought maybe he'd left behind at about book six. It suddenly gets very exciting, and he starts pulling together plot threads from the entire length of the series. Characters I thought he had forgotten about, and had been wishing would turn up, turned up. Suddenly I was reading with a big grin on my face, despite the odds facing my favourite characters. Suddenly it becomes a novel of epic, awe-inspiring moments of invention and quieter moments of humour and emotion. It's Erikson back to his best.

I don't want to go into too much detail and spoil anything. If you're reading this then you've undoubtedly read the previous nine novels. You know what you're going to get. Yes, there are still unanswered questions after the final page is turned. But, still, I suspect that maybe some of these have been left for Ian Esslemont to deal with in his companion series. Perhaps that's too easy an answer, and perhaps it shouldn't be so, but at the moment I'm willing to forgive Erikson all his foibles, all his maddening unexplained events and over-wrought self-indulgence.

Scoring this book is very difficult. Based on its own merits, the first half would get a 3, whilst the second half would get a 5. As a finale to such a mammoth series - well, as Nigel Tuffnell might say, this one goes to 11. It's that good.

In the end these tales of The Malazan Book of the Fallen get the grandest of send-offs. I can't imagine that, given the scope of everything he has attempted over these ten novels, Erikson could have come up with anything closer to the perfect ending. He has delivered the most epic, sprawling, original, inventive, infuriating, exhilarating, amusing, confusing, heartbreaking, uplifting and uncompromising series that I have ever read.

And, perhaps most (and best) of all, he did it his way.
on 10 September 2011
This book does not need any reviews. If you have read the other 9 books in the series then you will buy this as well. If you havent and you like fantasy then start at book 1. Your in for a treat.
on 22 November 2012
the book was bad.
so many story lines from the previous books , and in the end what did we get ?
a lot of pages with soldiers thinking about thinking ... all kind of philosophical ramblings about the real meaning of this word or that.
if in the previous books there were a few problems, they were eclipsed by the magnitude of the story, by the author's ability to insert whole mythology
in one page.
but this book had none of it.
if you reduce the soldiers' ramblings (which were totally not necessary for the story ... or the book) you could have shaved 200 pages easy.
there were characters and groups of characters (some tribes, the snake, the people who fought the liosans in the shore) that just made no sense.
they went to battle and mostly to death because they saw "something" in the eyes ... of some other character, who barely said anything ... just looked ...
the book was bad, the story did not come to a conclusion.
i'm glad i put it behind me.
The book that fans of Erikson's Malazan series have been longing for as well as dreading at the same time, as the climactic battle between good and evil, man and gods plays out in this, the conclusion to this epic series. As usual with Erikson the substantial cast has been nothing short of huge as well as intriguing, the cultures varied and above all else the author over this ten book cycle has create principle players that the reader cares about. Whilst not all have survived (Erikson plays for keeps) to face the final challenge the series has been nothing short of a joy to read from the start to its end and one that will please readers the world over.

Whilst it will be sad to say farewell to a great many literary friends within, Stevens writing has done what few other epic authors have done before, that is stick not only pretty close to schedule but produce a series that had a clear goal and outline from the start. The writing doesn't let up from the outset, the prose chasing the pace in an almost manical way in such a style that the book was nigh impossible to put down and as such left me wondering in places how I could have missed some of the clues from previous titles. Definitely a series that has gone out with a bang and hopefully readers will be pleased to hear that Steven has been contracted for more titles set within the Malazan world. A real joy to read and if you're prepared to take on a challenge worth reading from the outset again just to get the most from this volume.
on 18 September 2012
I'll avoid mentioning events directly in the book to avoid spoilers which I hate, instead I'll try and give my impression of this roller-coaster of a ride. Erickson quickly became one of my favourite authors, some of the books in the series I felt were better than other, so I was glad to find my favourite characters included as Erickson masterfully ties up all the lose ends created over 9 books. Some people say that Erickson's prose are too long, dwelling on minor points of morality and philosophy instead of carrying on the plot, to me they make the plot, adding substance to otherwise 2 dimensional characters, bringing to life the characters motivations and adding to the value of the book.

This is one of the few series where the the final book felt like it was meant to be the final book, not rushed, not dragged out for money, just the right pace and length. The plot thread and open questions built up, including many I'd forgotten and some I barely remembered, come together in an epic conclusion.
The end is just the right length for me, I felt it answered my unanswered questions and satisfactorily completed the plot elements in a way that tied up any loose ends. Great book and great end to an epic series, highly recommended for anyone who's followed the series.

On a side note if you haven't read the previous books do not buy this, start at the beginning or you'll end up confused.
on 6 November 2012
Reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen series has generally felt to me like you had to work to get your rewards, and I mean that in the best way possible. The series hasn't just spoon-fed you, you've really had to put in the hours (these books are some of the longest I've personally read) and accept that not all your questions, of which there are MANY, are going to come quickly or easily. By the end of the final tale, The Crippled God, you may well find that you still have more unanswered questions (just check the forums).

I think some people might end up being disappointed by the pay-off at the end of the book considering the long, long journey they've taken from Gardens of the Moon. In my view though it's all been about that journey (I promise I won't say journey again). The world created by this series has been the most interesting and entertaining I've EVER experienced, and I do not like to think I say that lightly. I truly cannot think of fictional setting more varied and imaginative than this one. So add on to that a cast of some of the greatest characters ever to appear in Fantasy and you have yourself a truly epic series. Mr Erikson, I salute you.

So much more could be said but it would take too long. Considering The Crippled God itself, it's a worthy end to the series. Story, magnificent. Style, perfect. My only qualm is, of course, that I wanted more. *****
on 22 October 2015
A great end to an amazing series.
on 8 December 2011
This book is one of the best i'v read, the story is epic and the scale of it all is huge. What i love about this series from Erikson is the philosophical side of it, it's not just about magic, monsters and battles (though those parts are great in these books to), it's realy about life and questions around it. The world is amazing and mysterious. The Crippled God is a great end to an amazing series of books, just hope Steaven can write some more soon, for all our sake.
on 18 July 2012
Such disappointment - you had the characters, the world's, yet sadly the storyline got left behind many books ago. On the plus side, I did manage to finish the books, unlike others who simply gave up!