5.0 out of 5 stars McNab's Fictional Peak?
It is a close call between Liberation Day and Last Light for a peak in the Nick Stone series. Certainly this is the best coverage of a team operation and the operational detail is fantastic as always.

Published on 23 Jan 2005 by K. Morice

1.0 out of 5 stars Andy's downfall
Published on 18 Mar 2003 by DAVID BENSON

5.0 out of 5 stars McNab's Fictional Peak?, 23 Jan 2005
K. Morice "kevinmorice" (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews

If you like to be dragged into a first person action story with McNab's customary intense detail (updates on every time he checks his watch) and the interactions with team members then this is impossible to beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Head and shoulders above the rest, 3 Oct 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Liberation Day (Hardcover)
This is a must read for any fan of the genre. McNab's writing has got better and better with each of his books, and his realism and 'been there, done that' aura is unmatched.
I became a fan after reading Bravo Two Zero and Immediate Action. I greatly anticipated his foray into the fictional world, and have not been disappointed. Now comes Liberation Day, his 5th (?) Nick Stone adventure.
The realism of McNab's writing is what sets it apart. No gadgets, no satellites, no giant technological leaps. His characters are believable, they do believable things, and they use common tools. His Leatherman is his best friend.
If you've never read McNab, then I highly recommend him to you. Do yourself a favour and read his books in order. You'll realize just how far short the rest of the pack has fallen.

1.0 out of 5 stars Andy's downfall, 18 Mar 2003
DAVID BENSON (HITCHIN, HERTS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Liberation Day (Hardcover)
Liberation Day! I bought this book with the hope that it would continue the excellent journey through Nick Stones life that we have come to know through other stories by Mcnab. How wrong was i! In truth you could quiet easily remove the first 250 pages of this book and still catch up with the plot. It became a real drag to get through and the endless, needless description of the two way radio conversation. He really does make you feel as though he is just filling space and dragging out this tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars fiction or a warning, 29 Mar 2004
This review is from: Liberation Day (Paperback)
One of the best books I have had the pleasure to read in a long time. Mcnab`s story telling is not only realistic but thought provoking. He is a master of using current events as a back drop for his stories, in this case the money men supposedly funding AL QAEDA terrorist activities around the world. From a man who has actually been there and done it , his attention to detail is frightening. There are points in the story when you could be forgiven for believing that you are reading a true account. Mcnab takes you on a rollercoaster ride that never lets up and you get off feeling quite dizzy but wanting to get right back on again for another dose of action and supense from this master story teller. Once in a while you pick up a book that you can`t put down until you finish it, this is one of those books. FANTASTIC

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best but.........., 12 Dec 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Liberation Day (Paperback)
I’ve read all of the McNab books and think they are all cracking reads; Remote Control & Crisis Four are definitely a cut above the others. I found Liberation Day to be very different and probably the least inspiring to date, however having worked on surveillance teams and specialist firearms teams, I found that I could entirely relate to McNab’s excellent detailed accounts of the work, which is definitely an art. I must confess to expecting a bit more of a bang and was surprised how long the surveillance lasted but after a while I suffered the usual problem with AM’s books- I couldn’t put it down! I had to race through the book desperately following the trail and wondering where we would end up next. I think that all though this book was the slowest of the series I was still there in Nick Stone’s shoes and could personally feel all he felt. McNab still has the edge that his experiences in life have given him and although some people have knocked his writing style I think it’s spot on. Well done again Andy…

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book but completely different style, 18 Oct 2002
This review is from: Liberation Day (Hardcover)
Having read all previous Andy McNab books and thoroughly enjoyed every page I can safely say that this latest offering has continued this trend.
If you liked his previous books where constant enemy evation and firefights flow from page to page this book won't compare. It is gritty and highly realistic with a must-carry-on-reading storyline but not because of the non stop action, it relies on the day to day realism of Nick Stone's work to carry it through, which it does superbly.
All in all a great read and highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not at his best, 15 Oct 2002
This review is from: Liberation Day (Hardcover)
I've literally just finished reading 'Liberation Day', and although I enjoyed it, and got through it quite fast, I must admit that I don't think it's McNab's best work.
I've read every book that he's written so far, and of his novels I'd say that his first, 'Remote Control' was by far the best of the bunch, in fact it's still one of my favourite books and something that I've read many times.
After reading 'Liberation Day' I must say that while the character of Nick Stone has been given plenty of depth from the 5 books he's appeared in and still provides entertainment value, it might be time for McNab to move on and perhaps experiment with other scenarios and other characters, while leaving it open for a return to Nick Stone at some point in the future - I feel McNab might be able to write something as entertaining and fresh as Remote Control was if he introduced some new characters (as Chris Ryan did with when he left his character Geordie Sharp and instead wrote 'The Hit List', although his books since then have been somewhat disappointing - Ryan should have stuck with the 'Hit List' characters for another book or two before moving on again).
For some reason, 'Liberation Day' seemed to lack the scale of some of the other Nick Stone adventures - while I was reading it I thought to myself that a lot of pages were passing without the story really moving in any particular direction - and while I appreciate the detail that was gone into for each specific part of Stone's missions, the book seemed to lack the large scale of something like a Tom Clancy novel.
I don't want it to seem like I'm complaining about this book or it's author (whom I have A LOT of respect for), but I also think that McNab might give himself more options and opportunity for scale if he ditched the 1st person perspective for a book or two, and followed more than one character - approaching a mission or a storyline from the perspective of many different people, like an entire team, or even the opposition - as there's only so much information you can provide the reader if it's written as a one-man show. This is just my opinion though, and I'm more than happy for people to disagree with it.
Final thoughts - an enjoyable book, and if McNab does write another Nick Stone book (or anything alse for that matter), I can guarantee I'll be pre-ordering it and counting the days until it arrives - Andy McNab may never be recognised as a classic author, but he does write an entertaining story or two!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Tiresome, 14 April 2012
I found the first four Nick Stone books good. the best being the first
But
As Andy McNab might say. It's time to bin this one. I've got to 77% of it and find it utterly tedious.
I cannot cope with anymore 30 page surveillance jargon about nothing more than 3 guys leaving a boat,to go to the station and take a train.
"Romeos are Foxtrot"
"H Click Click"
"Thats me complete now in the station
"L Click Click"
"L is now mobile to Monaco"
I look at my Watch
I buy some Coffee on the Main as Hubba is on the Trigger.
Now it's time to get into the garage and dope some fellow up, stick a safety pin through his lip and tongue and forget about him.

His mates are a couple of Egyptian guys, one who play with beads and the other who doesnt, but you can't really tell them apart and don't care about them

McNab also delivers the same lines and anecdotes from his previous books, which he should watch against, or the publisher should. This may be my last Andy McNab book and i really don't want to pick it up again

2.0 out of 5 stars Rushed out and sadly disapointing, 29 Jan 2003
Therms "therms" (South East England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Liberation Day (Hardcover)
To date I have been delighted with McNab's writing. They have been rip-roaring, boy's own entertainment. They have all been extremely easy to read and full of action and on edge style.
This most recent edition to the life and times of Nick Stone is weak in comparison. I can't help feeling that the book was rushed out. It is full (and I mean full) of padding to the point of making reading quite tedious. At one point I was tempted to skip a few pages and try and find some action. McNab, who is usually the master of fast moving action, disappears into pages of finding an OP, tracking person after person or sitting drinking coffee. The action is reserved to a few pages at the beginning and a few at the end.
What's happening to Kelly? This book has wandered too far from the style of his previous books. I had become to feel a lot for Stone, but the Stone in this book just doesn't seem as deep (and shallow!) as he has been.
Is it time for McNab to write one more Stone book before he gets too bored of his character? Then he will be free to invent new characters to explore.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 4 July 2003
Brian W (Belfast United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Liberation Day (Hardcover)
First up, I'm a real fan of Andy McNabs novels & have enjoyed the development of the main character Nick Stone throughout the series.
I specificaly asked for his latest novel (Liberation Day) as a Christmas gift last year.
The book started fine, introducing a few new characters and catching up on the happenings of some of the previous characters.
Things rapidly go downhill however & I found myself struggling to get through this book. I actually couldn't finish it on first attempt and was determined to get through it second time around. Things pick up thankfully over the last few pages but unfortunately it's too little too late and I really can't recommend this book.
I'm sure if you're an Andy McNab fan you'll have read this book anyways but if you're someone just wondering what his work is like then stay clear of this one, he can and has done an awful lot better in his previous books.

Liberation Day
Liberation Day by Andy McNab (Hardcover - 1 Oct 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01