Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Learn more Listen in Prime

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 9 April 2016
There was so much technical stuff in the first part of this book that I soon got bored of it. None of the characters engaged my interest. I haven't read Andy McNab before and it could be that his writing is just not to my taste, to be fair.
on 23 January 2005
It is a close call between Liberation Day and Last Light for a peak in the Nick Stone series. Certainly this is the best coverage of a team operation and the operational detail is fantastic as always.

If you like to be dragged into a first person action story with McNab's customary intense detail (updates on every time he checks his watch) and the interactions with team members then this is impossible to beat.
on 14 April 2012
I found the first four Nick Stone books good. the best being the first
But
As Andy McNab might say. It's time to bin this one. I've got to 77% of it and find it utterly tedious.
I cannot cope with anymore 30 page surveillance jargon about nothing more than 3 guys leaving a boat,to go to the station and take a train.
"Romeos are Foxtrot"
"H Click Click"
"Thats me complete now in the station
"L Click Click"
"L is now mobile to Monaco"
I look at my Watch
I buy some Coffee on the Main as Hubba is on the Trigger.
Now it's time to get into the garage and dope some fellow up, stick a safety pin through his lip and tongue and forget about him.

His mates are a couple of Egyptian guys, one who play with beads and the other who doesnt, but you can't really tell them apart and don't care about them

McNab also delivers the same lines and anecdotes from his previous books, which he should watch against, or the publisher should. This may be my last Andy McNab book and i really don't want to pick it up again
on 11 November 2014
Andy McNab excellent as always. I simply don't newest and how none of these books have been made into films yet! Liberation day is the best that I have read yet, and reading it you get the feeling of compassion and understanding for the character of Nick Stone.
on 3 October 2002
This is a must read for any fan of the genre. McNab's writing has got better and better with each of his books, and his realism and 'been there, done that' aura is unmatched.
I became a fan after reading Bravo Two Zero and Immediate Action. I greatly anticipated his foray into the fictional world, and have not been disappointed. Now comes Liberation Day, his 5th (?) Nick Stone adventure.
The realism of McNab's writing is what sets it apart. No gadgets, no satellites, no giant technological leaps. His characters are believable, they do believable things, and they use common tools. His Leatherman is his best friend.
If you've never read McNab, then I highly recommend him to you. Do yourself a favour and read his books in order. You'll realize just how far short the rest of the pack has fallen.
on 11 May 2014
Nothing is the plain and simple answer to that. This is my second time round reading the 'Nick Stone' series and if you've never resd one I urge you to start. Andy McNab draws on his own experiences to give you a character that 'lives'. I hope the series just keeps coming
on 29 March 2004
One of the best books I have had the pleasure to read in a long time. Mcnab`s story telling is not only realistic but thought provoking. He is a master of using current events as a back drop for his stories, in this case the money men supposedly funding AL QAEDA terrorist activities around the world. From a man who has actually been there and done it , his attention to detail is frightening. There are points in the story when you could be forgiven for believing that you are reading a true account. Mcnab takes you on a rollercoaster ride that never lets up and you get off feeling quite dizzy but wanting to get right back on again for another dose of action and supense from this master story teller. Once in a while you pick up a book that you can`t put down until you finish it, this is one of those books. FANTASTIC
on 12 December 2003
I’ve read all of the McNab books and think they are all cracking reads; Remote Control & Crisis Four are definitely a cut above the others. I found Liberation Day to be very different and probably the least inspiring to date, however having worked on surveillance teams and specialist firearms teams, I found that I could entirely relate to McNab’s excellent detailed accounts of the work, which is definitely an art. I must confess to expecting a bit more of a bang and was surprised how long the surveillance lasted but after a while I suffered the usual problem with AM’s books- I couldn’t put it down! I had to race through the book desperately following the trail and wondering where we would end up next. I think that all though this book was the slowest of the series I was still there in Nick Stone’s shoes and could personally feel all he felt. McNab still has the edge that his experiences in life have given him and although some people have knocked his writing style I think it’s spot on. Well done again Andy…
on 18 October 2002
Having read all previous Andy McNab books and thoroughly enjoyed every page I can safely say that this latest offering has continued this trend.
If you liked his previous books where constant enemy evation and firefights flow from page to page this book won't compare. It is gritty and highly realistic with a must-carry-on-reading storyline but not because of the non stop action, it relies on the day to day realism of Nick Stone's work to carry it through, which it does superbly.
All in all a great read and highly recommended.
on 15 October 2002
I've literally just finished reading 'Liberation Day', and although I enjoyed it, and got through it quite fast, I must admit that I don't think it's McNab's best work.
I've read every book that he's written so far, and of his novels I'd say that his first, 'Remote Control' was by far the best of the bunch, in fact it's still one of my favourite books and something that I've read many times.
After reading 'Liberation Day' I must say that while the character of Nick Stone has been given plenty of depth from the 5 books he's appeared in and still provides entertainment value, it might be time for McNab to move on and perhaps experiment with other scenarios and other characters, while leaving it open for a return to Nick Stone at some point in the future - I feel McNab might be able to write something as entertaining and fresh as Remote Control was if he introduced some new characters (as Chris Ryan did with when he left his character Geordie Sharp and instead wrote 'The Hit List', although his books since then have been somewhat disappointing - Ryan should have stuck with the 'Hit List' characters for another book or two before moving on again).
For some reason, 'Liberation Day' seemed to lack the scale of some of the other Nick Stone adventures - while I was reading it I thought to myself that a lot of pages were passing without the story really moving in any particular direction - and while I appreciate the detail that was gone into for each specific part of Stone's missions, the book seemed to lack the large scale of something like a Tom Clancy novel.
I don't want it to seem like I'm complaining about this book or it's author (whom I have A LOT of respect for), but I also think that McNab might give himself more options and opportunity for scale if he ditched the 1st person perspective for a book or two, and followed more than one character - approaching a mission or a storyline from the perspective of many different people, like an entire team, or even the opposition - as there's only so much information you can provide the reader if it's written as a one-man show. This is just my opinion though, and I'm more than happy for people to disagree with it.
Final thoughts - an enjoyable book, and if McNab does write another Nick Stone book (or anything alse for that matter), I can guarantee I'll be pre-ordering it and counting the days until it arrives - Andy McNab may never be recognised as a classic author, but he does write an entertaining story or two!!