on 28 November 2001
This is a truly wonderful cookery book, packed full of interesting and slightly different recipes. Her puddings, cakes and bread recipes are to die for. I would recommend this and all her other books [I have everyone of them] to anyone.
on 11 January 2009
I am so pleased with this book. I had been looking for a really good Cookery Book for ages. Then on a trip to a friend in Scotland found Claire. The dishes in this book are truely delicious, and work every time.
on 27 January 2010
This was one of the earlier acquisitions in what has become my rather large stash of cookery books.
For about a year I made at least 1-2 recipes a week from it & they consistantly gained marks of 8-9 out of 10 (just a habit I've developed as I like to try between 3 & 5 new recipes every week!).
Everything was delicious & appealed to everyone including the faddy eaters in my family.
It's the kind of food that will always be welcome - whatever the current food fashions. Good down to earth - but not in the least bit boring - food.
What's more - and of course the most important test of any cookbook - is that the recipes all work.
I still look back on it fondly & have it, & both Mastering the Art of French Cooking books(bought around the same time) to thank for much of my knowledge & skills in cooking.
Highly recommended.
on 28 March 2011
I've had this cookbook for years and used it loads. I first used it when a student and have carried on ever since. Claire MacDonald is particularly good on desserts and puddings (the chocolate cake is amazing) and on soups (leek and bacon; leek and potato; carrot, leek and lentil; and courgette and rosemary are my personal highlights). She's got a brilliant solution for making pastry for tarts for those of us not gifted at pastry. Other highlights include: chicken breats with mango chutney and mustard; pot roast chicken; venison braised with beetroot; lamb with apricots and spices; sausage and lentil hotpotbeetroot and carrot salad; lemon curd (nice and sharp); lemon tart; cheesy scones; granary bread; brownies; hazelnut and apple chocolate cake; sultana biscuits; and walnut toffee squares. I recommend you buy it!
on 18 February 2012
I cannot rate this book highly enough. Every recipe I cook works and tastes nice. So glad I finally managed to get my hands on a copy!
on 23 June 2014
highly recommend. good food, good recipes, good tips, makes you want to cook with no hassle. No need for a massive store cupboard, like you need with most celebrity cook books.
on 16 June 2015
Have tried one recipe which needed a tweak to improve the taste but recipes look good so I will be trying more.
on 25 January 2016
A wonderful cookbook. They all word and aren't over complex. My favourite cookbook
on 22 March 2015
Exactly as described and arrived promptly. Very pleased with my purchase
on 13 September 2015