5.0 out of 5 stars Yes,Cynthia,animals do, INDEED, have an afterlife!
This book should help any very young child who has lost or is about to lose a pet. Actually it might be a good idea to read while while the pet is still healthy--parents, too!
Published on 15 July 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Description
My son purchased this book for me as part of my Christmas present. He purchased according to the description given. It stated for both young and old. He felt foolish when he began to wrap it and then only realised it was a book purely aimed at very young children. Christmas present ruined.
Published on 2 Jan. 2013 by Debbie

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes,Cynthia,animals do, INDEED, have an afterlife!, 15 July 1999
This review is from: Dog Heaven (Hardcover)
Although there is a lot of imagination (as to how God runs this heaven, dogs sleeping on clouds, etc) in this it is done so well it makes us all feel good.I would like to take exception to that one professional reviewer's opinion re 'faulty theology' that pets might visit here from the other side because they don't have an afterlife. If she thinks that animals don't continue after death she might consult her Bible, which says something quite different. They do. And some do, indeed, 'visit' with their people (a book I recommend below goes into this in detail). Dog Heaven presents this in such a way that will not frighten children at all. It will make them hopeful.
Perhaps Cynthia Rylant had this experience, or knows someone who had. Although I take the position that people and their pets alike (as well as animals in general) will share the same Heaven, I can see no harm in a dog or cat heaven premise for young children. Parents can always say the child can visit, or that the animals can come and live in 'people heaven' if they wish to.
I would also at this time like to recommend two books:
The first is an absolutely heartwarming book, FOR EVERY DOG AN ANGEL; we learn that at birth a puppy's angel comes to stay with it throughout its life. When it is lucky enough to bond with its "forever person" the angel feels great joy. When it is time the "forever dog" passes over its angel that becomes its "angel bridge" to the other side. Sometimes it can cross back for a visit (the writer has had that comforting experience and she handles this idea in such a way as to bring great happiness at the thought to children.). When it is finally our time to cross over, we find our "forever friend" eagerly awaiting us.
The second is THE SOUL OF YOUR PET. This book gives solid evidence of animal afterlife; wonderful, credible recountings of interactions of people with pets that have passed on. WIll cause even the most hard-nosed skeptic to re-think his views . Biblically accurate as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is very helpful for people who lose a dog., 19 Jun. 1999
This review is from: Dog Heaven (Hardcover)
When I read this book to my teacher/mentor, she started crying. It was very touching. It reminded her of all the good times, and it helped her deal with the loss of her dog. This book is not only excellent for children, but adults also.

4.0 out of 5 stars Caring reassurance on the loss of a pet, good for young ones, 7 Sept. 1998
This review is from: Dog Heaven (Hardcover)
A very simplistic story of what a dog experiences in heaven. Leaving aside the religious aspects, this story can help to reassure a young person that their pet is no longer suffering, and happy to be where they are.
It also advances the idea that their pet returns to check things out from time to time, and will be waiting for those they knew on earth to join them someday.
Very colorful and simple illustrations that give an opportunity for parents to talk with children at what might be the first loss for a young person.
I might add, it was reassuring to this 40+ year old on the loss of his first dog ever as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars I cried from the time I read the first page., 11 Dec. 1998
This review is from: Dog Heaven (Hardcover)
I enjoyed the book immencely; it conveyed my feelings exactly from the first page to the last. Anyone who has ever had a beloved pet, shoud covet the book. Since reading the book, I have ordered 2 copies. For myself and a friend who lost a loved pet last year. My hat is off to Ms. Rylant. Our beloved pets deserve this book. Many thanks for expressing what we could, should, and would...

5.0 out of 5 stars "Best Book in the World" as promised by Episcopal Rector, 27 Oct. 1998
This review is from: Dog Heaven (Hardcover)
This sweet book was recommended to me by a lovely rector at a blessing of the animals. I had lost my little Tibetan Spaniel a few months earlier and he promised this to be the "best book in the world". It will bring tears to any readers eyes as well as reassurance that their loved one is in a safe place and still thinks of them and will hold them in their hearts forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful gift at a very sad time, 12 Dec. 1998
This review is from: Dog Heaven (Hardcover)
Our dog, Zachary, passed away this week after 16 years of being loved and adored. Our house has seemed very empty and quiet. One of my graduate students brought this book to me in an effort to help me through a very sad time. What a treasure this book is for providing comfort when none seems possible. Thank you once again, Cynthia Rylant!

5.0 out of 5 stars ...until it feels just right, 1 April 1997
This review is from: Dog Heaven (Hardcover)
The dogs in Rylant's Dog Heaven "turn around and around in the cloud...until it feels just right." And that, too, is how this book feels. When you've lost a pet and you feel silly about crying this books lets you cry, thinking of how your dog turned in circles and loved to run. But it also makes you feel better, knowing your dog is good company with all the other good dogs in Dog Heaven.
I wish you would never had the occasion to need this book, but when you do, buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for kids 2-10 about dogs going to Heaven, 19 Feb. 1998
This review is from: Dog Heaven (Hardcover)
This is the perfect book to read to kids who are facing the loss of a dog. Also a great book for grownups who'd appreciate a beautifully illustrated story about what dogs do in Dog Heaven ("When dogs go to Heaven, they don't need wings because God knows that dogs love running best...")

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughts of comfort and joy for dog lovers of all ages., 23 Dec. 1998
This review is from: Dog Heaven (Hardcover)
As I prepared to release my constant companion,I longed for assurance that my canine friend would indeed go the Heaven. A search of the Holy Scriptures revealed a loving God who created & loved both animal and man. Dog Heaven brought tears to my eyes as and reassurance to my heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars This sweet book is comforting and joyful., 20 April 1999
This review is from: Dog Heaven (Hardcover)
I have purchased this book (after it brought me to tears when I discovered it at a school book fair) for at least 6 friends who have lost a beloved dog. Now they are buying it to comfort their friends. It's a treasure! Joanne Turk

Dog Heaven
Dog Heaven by Cynthia Rylant (Hardcover - 7 Feb. 2036)