5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, 17 Mar. 2004
By A Customer
This is one of the best books that I have ever read. I have really enjoyed all the Dear America books which I have read so far, but I felt that this one was especially good.
It is about a 13 year old girl called Hattie Cambell, who made the journey, along with her family, from Missoura to Oregon in 1847. It is quite sad at times though because many of Hattie's friends die and she begins to feel very lonely when her best friend, Pepper aged 14, gets married.
I am 13 years old and I had been learning about the American West at school so I really enjoyed being able to recognise the names of the various forts and cut-offs, such as the cut-off which the Donner Party took.
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes stories about pioneers and frontier life.
If you have read, and enjoyed this book, I would also recommend "All the stars in the sky" the Santa Fe Trail diary of Florrie Mack Ryder, because I feel it is very similar, but at the same time totally different.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVED it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 15 Oct. 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Across the Wide and Lonesome Prairie: 1847 (Dear America) (Library Binding)
This diary reaches down inside you and pulls at your innermost feelings. You feel for these people so much as the go along on their journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 April 2015
I loved this book and felt as if I was with them on the Oregon Trail.

Across the Wide and Lonesome Prairie: 1847 (Dear America)
Across the Wide and Lonesome Prairie: 1847 (Dear America) by Hattie Campbell (Library Binding - Mar. 1997)
Used & New from: £0.01