on 5 May 2014
A twist on the knights tale. We see twins who want different roles to those their uninterested father wants for them Thom chooses to study magic and Alanna going to train in secret to be knight. An excellent story
on 29 October 2013
I've been reading these books for more than half my life and they're still my favourites. I have 4 nieces and every one of them has a copy of this series waiting for her 12th birthday. I do think the later books in the series (In the Hand of the Goddess, Woman who Rides Like a Man and Lioness Rampant) might be a bit mature for kids younger than that, but Alanna: The First Adventure can be read and enjoyed at a younger age. Highly recommended. I'm 31 now and I still read these every year. Sometimes I still wish I were a feisty purple eyed redhead :).
on 17 June 2002
I really like this book: it's compelling and magical, the description is great, the dialogue is good and the plot is wonderful: it's the story of a girl who wants to be a knight in the magical realm of tortall so she dresses as a boy and goes to the palace to train, this is a story of her adventures.
I would reccomend this anyone who wants to read it. Go on!
I also recomend the sequels and all Tamora Pierce's other quartets and books: they are exellent!
on 18 February 2012
I read this about 8 years ago and desperately wanted to read it again, but had forgotten the title. A quick Google search later, and I found The Song of the Lioness.

The story is just as good as I remembered and have now ordered the rest of the series.

Brilliant fantasy story for any age. Highly recommend.
on 1 November 2000
This book is about a young girl named Alanna who swaps places with her twin brother, Thom so that she can become a knight. Unfortunately for Alanna, she must dress up as a boy. To begin with it wasn't very exciting and lacked action and adventure, but later on became more interesting and worth reading. Overall, this was an original and enjoyable book.
VINE VOICEon 16 February 2015
Alanna of Trebond dreams of being a Knight and so decides to swap places with her twin brother (he can now become a sorcerer as he wishes) to avoid having to train as a lady and live her dream of being a Knight and having glorious adventures. As the smallest and weakest boy in the palace she is bullied and most undergo tough training in order to prove she is just as good as the boys. Eventually, as nature takes its course, she is forced to hide her maturing body but is left with no option but to impart her secret to a trusted few. She makes friends and enemies as she grows up learning how to fight and she finally accepts that her magic (a neglected gift) will help her in her quest to become a female warrior.

Filled with fun,humour and interesting characters I found this book a great entertaining read. Its the first in a quartet and i've already bought the other three books!
on 6 February 2006
I read this one (and of course the rest of the series and then all the other books Tamora Pierce had written)years ago and it is one of the only books I can keep readin over and over again. I just love the way Alanna batles her way through life and how "the knight in shining amor" theme is twistet.
I cannot say anything else but this: if you like knights, magic and a litle bit of love don't hesitate, BUY THIS!
on 11 January 2013
First I just want to ask, 'Why can you get this on your kindle in America but not here in the UK?!'. I really wanted to read this book but it is virtually impossible to find in the UK! So despite having a kindle and iBooks I had to order it from Amazon in paperback.
That being said I really enjoyed the book and bought the others in the series. I just wish you could buy Tamora Pierces books more easily here!
on 11 August 2001
This is among the best books I have ever read. Fast-paced, magical, and yet it delt with several unconforatble womenly problems. It really made you want to read more, the next book... etc. this is one of Ms.Tamora Pierces best books, with a character that reappears over and over in the books ahead. It is possably a book for girls, not boys, but it in general it is a book that every body can read and enjoy. I really enjoyed the part with the swords, and I got a very strong feeling that the Duke Rodger was not a very nice character... And the very oposite of George. It is a brilliant book, maybe one of Ms.Tamora Pierces best.
on 16 January 2002
I love this book, and have read it many times. i suppose it gives you a sense of belief in yourself.
When Alanna and her twin brother, Thom, swap places, you follow Alanna through a tough time. She is training to be a knight, instead of a noble lady. She proves herself amoungest the boys, all this time pretending to be male. she stands her ground to bullies, and earns respect between squires and pages alike.
Definently one for the bookshelf.