4.0 out of 5 stars This was a great book!
Published on 26 Jun 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars This book misrepresents the boarding school experience.
Published on 9 April 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars This book misrepresents the boarding school experience., 9 April 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: My Heart is on the Ground (Dear America (Reissues)) (Hardcover)
Ann Rinaldi's book MY HEART IS ON THE GROUND takes the troublesome Lucy Pretty Eagle legend and brings it to life in a shockingly disrespectful attempt to entertain youngsters. Rinaldi presents an historical novel that completely misrepresents the boarding school experience of a young Lakota Sioux girl. Several of her characters bear the actual names of children buried in Indian Cemetery of Carlisle, PA. For many years, the U.S. Army War College's tour booklet of the Carlisle Indian School grounds misidentified the old teachers' quarters as student housing and it was believed that girls had roomed there. Known as the Coren Apartments, these former teachers' quarters are still in use as housing for students of the U.S. Army War College. During the Indian School days, 1879-1918, the girls' dormitory occupied the area directly across the yard from the teachers' quarters, where the tennis courts now stand. For several decades, there have been rumors that Lucy Pretty Eagle haunts her former rooms in the Coren Apartments -- when in truth, Indian girls never lived there. Stories of tennis shoes found mysteriously tied together after a restless night, pictures rearranged on the walls, cooking smells wafting from an empty kitchen, and doors opening and closing in the quarters believed to have been Lucy's home over a hundred years ago - still persist. U.S. Army War College students housed in the Coren Apartments within the past several decades insist their quarters are haunted by "Lucy." Lucy Pretty Eagle came to Carlisle with the name of "Take the Tail" (translated from her native Lakota language). In this book, Ann Rinaldi has fashioned her story around a central character, Nannie Little Rose, and her friend, Lucy Pretty Eagle, modeled after a fictitious, romanticised version of Take the Tail. The publication of this book reminds us that not only was Indian identity shaped by non-Indians during the four decades of Carlisle, Indian identity continues to be defined by non-Indian writers today. These Lucy Pretty Eagle stories embody the one-dimensional Indian stereotypes that so influence mainstream ideas about Indian identity. Until their stories are written by Indian people themselves, these stereotypes will persist.

1.0 out of 5 stars Zero stars for this colonialist fantasy., 13 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This is the worst--the very worst--children's book I have ever read. I cannot say this strongly enough--<My Heart Is On the Ground> is more than just a 20th-century Euro-American colonialist fantasy superimposed on a 12-year-old Lakota child in 1880. By maintaining that atrocities never existed at Carlisle Indian Industrial School (where the stated philosophy was "Kill the Indian and Save the Man"), and putting those assertions in the voice of a Lakota child in a book for children, <My Heart Is On the Ground> is the ripping open of a century-long wound in Indian Country. The pain to the Indian families of the children who died at Carlisle is made even worse by Rinaldi's copying the children's names from the tombstones at the Carlisle cemetery and using those names for her characters, including Nannie Little Rose. If this author had written a fictional diary about, say, Auschwitz, and the protagonist's name was, say, Ann Frank, and in this book the author maintained that nothing bad ever happened at Auschwitz, and in this book Ann Frank was released from Auschwitz and went on to become a teacher, would Scholastic have published it? As Nannie Little Rose says, "Maybe so." This insulting whitewash of one of the worst episodes of American history should be immediately recalled and a public apology issued to the Native American community.

4.0 out of 5 stars This was a great book!, 26 Jun 1999
By A Customer
I thought this book was excellent in every way of the childs point of veiw but the thing that kept me from making this a five star book was the interpretation that Ann Rinaldi gave of the schools. It shows she did very little research on the indian schools, especilly when Carlisle was such a big target. To make things worse, I am Native American and I am Sioux. My great grandmother was in an Indian "school" growing up and i think this school sounded just "peachy" compared to what she wen through. Otherwise, the book was good and Little Rose was a great character. The book would have been better if not perfect if Mrs. Rinaldi would have put more effort into accuracy and research! And I would also like to add, that all of you who thought this book was great in every way have much to learn about the indian ways. Do not give this to someone as a gift if they are strong in Native American history and facts, although you would be trying to be nice, it would only hurt more!

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely shameful!, 23 July 1999
By A Customer
I work in a Native American Art Museum and part of our mission statement is to provide education and information to the general public (especially elementary school children) about Native Americans, past and present. I was first alerted to this book by Oyate Press and it was heartbreaking to read it. It is a travesty for all the reasons stated above--moreso because it is aimed at children. Ms. Rinaldi, and Scholastic Books, our job of education is difficult enough without this "white"-washed and way-so inaccurate fiction masquerading under the guise of a 'diary.' I, too, do not condone censorship, but I shudder at the thought that many young people (and older ones too) will be reading this book and assuming that that was how it was. Carlisle and other Indian schools were not like that at all. MY HEART IS ON THE GROUND is not only stereotypical garbage, it is racist pablum.

1.0 out of 5 stars Zero! This book is a travesty!!!, 2 July 1999
By A Customer
With all of the facts that are coming out now about what -really- happened in the much-romanticized "wild west" and "frontier" days, I was shocked and dismayed to see this badly researched, Anglocentric travesty being foisted on children (or anyone else). The book design and ambiguously worded intro could lead readers to believe this was a transcription of an actual diary. Nothing could be further from the truth. I don't believe in banning books, but think this should be held up as an example of the worst. The author has the audacity to suggest that maybe the spirits of those who died at Carlisle and other places would "smile" to see her creation. If you want to give your kid a good book about Indians, start them out with books by Indian authors, or at least something by Mari Sandoz.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stars for the story, not the research, 14 Jun 2009
A Kid's Review
This book was thoroughly critised for being historically inacurate and stereo- typical (long word, hard to spell!). Ummm, May I just point out something, Iam not sure if they did or not, but if the Native Americans had any Problems with this book then would'nt they have said something?

It is about Nannie Little Rose, a Sioux girl, it is her diary and she seemed to have been enjoying school, she learned to read and write English, when her friend Lucy Pretty Eagle comes along, she helps her, but she has a secret, she claims she has 'visions' and one day she has one of the visions when Nannie is away.... and Belle rainwater gets incolved....

There is a lot to say about this book, they research may not have been very good and it may have been direspectful, and I did not thing the 'disgusting bit on page 100 and something, maybe that is because my Sister says I have a heart of stone.... anyway I enjoyed the book, didnt look into the reasearch, so I took it with a pinch of salt.

5.0 out of 5 stars I felt I was part of the book., 21 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This book was the selection for our mother-daughter book club this month. We all loved the book because we got very interested in the friendship between Nannie Little Rose and Lucy Pretty Eagle. This book helps you realize a lot about Indian culture. The Indian children had to leave everything they knew and learn the ways of white people who really did not understand how beautiful the old Indian customs were.The book has a very shocking event in it which we talked about a lot.The book was sad, but it was beautifully written. We would highly recommend it, especially to those who wish to understand more about how one culture changes another. Ann Rinaldi does a great job showing you how Nannie Little Rose slowly learned how to write in a different language. We also saw how the Indian children helped each other through difficult times.

1.0 out of 5 stars Massive and harmful disinformation, 27 April 1999
By A Customer
I am not the kind of person who espouses censorship of any kind, but this book is not only degrading to Native Americans in its use of tone and language, the facts presented about Carlisle are highly inaccurate. One glaring example: in reality, not only did Spotted Tail's children want to leave with him, but many, many other children did as well. Trying to put white icing on one of the most horrible American tragedies is extremely disrespectful of Rinaldi.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good at first, but got bad. REAL bad, 18 Jun 1999
By A Customer
Ok, I thought it was a pretty good book. But I thought it was horrible what happened to Lucy Pretty Eagle. The part that REALLY grossed me out was the entry on the top of page 135, and the middle of the next page. Otherwise, it was one of the better books I've read, but that just was sick. I felt sick reading that, and don't plan on reading it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars This girl had just come from a tribe what do you expect?, 9 Aug 1999
By A Customer
Nannie Little Rose was a girl who was picked to go to the white man's world school.She was a good person and at times I didn't understand her,but otherwise it was a great book.All you people who say this book is a piece of trash,well you all are WRONG, because it was a GREAT BOOK.

My Heart is on the Ground (Dear America (Reissues))
My Heart is on the Ground (Dear America (Reissues)) by Ann Rinaldi (Hardcover - 1 Mar 1999)
Used & New from: £0.01