5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable, funny,the tinnest bit romantic, 17 Jan 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Great Railroad Race (Dear America (Reissues)) (Hardcover)
libby wests farther is an reporter, he starts his own newspaper with his friend,pete ( whom libby takes a shine to later in the book...)and moves west to document the building of the transcontetal railroad.

I really liked this book, it was fast moving, funny, and the speck of romance, made it even better so another great Dear America book 100 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn history but don't feel like you're sitting at a desk., 5 Jun 1999
This review is from: Great Railroad Race (Dear America (Reissues)) (Hardcover)
This book is a diary of Libby West, who lived when the railroad was being built across the US. Her father decides to write a newspaper about the building. He must go to the camps but should the whole family go? If she goes will she like it? Will the family make enough money to survive?

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, though not Gregory's best., 9 May 1999
This review is from: Great Railroad Race (Dear America (Reissues)) (Hardcover)
This book was very good, but it does not live up to the author Gregory's first two books: The Winter Of Red Snow and Across The Wide And Lonesome Prarie. I still gave the book 5 stars because it was very orignial, and I like the characters of Libby West and Ellie Mae, among the others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 1 May 1999
This review is from: Great Railroad Race (Dear America (Reissues)) (Hardcover)
I thought this book was soooo great!!It's about this girl,Libby West,who travels with her Mother and Father along the railroad. This book is sad,adventurous,and funny.I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific!, 16 May 1999
This review is from: Great Railroad Race (Dear America (Reissues)) (Hardcover)
I really loved this book. I could never tell what would happen next.This book was a real page turner. I read it in an hour.

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it DOWN!, 31 May 1999
This review is from: Great Railroad Race (Dear America (Reissues)) (Hardcover)
I had to keep reading and reading this book. I counldn't stop until I read the very last page. A very informitive book!

5.0 out of 5 stars ***I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!***, 20 May 1999
This review is from: Great Railroad Race (Dear America (Reissues)) (Hardcover)
The Great Railroad Race was one of my favorite Dear America books. I reccomend it to everyone who looks at these books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 4 Mar 1999
This review is from: Great Railroad Race (Dear America (Reissues)) (Hardcover)
This is the 1 book I've read in this seires, but I'm going to read the rest of them!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but not the best "Dear America", 9 Aug 1999
This review is from: Great Railroad Race (Dear America (Reissues)) (Hardcover)
I liked the book a lot. My favorite thing about it was the way Libby steadily fell in love with Pete, her fathers friend & assistant. What can I say? I guess I'm a sucker for romance.
The reason I took 1 star off was B-cuz of the way the Mormons were represented in the book. I am a Mormon myself and am kind of defensive of my ancestors. The way the townspeople talked about them back then is probably identical to the book, but I feel that people who read the book now might get a bad impression about the Mormon religion. Anyway, if you aren't as defensive as I am about Mormons, great book!
Toodle!

Great Railroad Race (Dear America (Reissues))
Great Railroad Race (Dear America (Reissues)) by Kristi Gregory (Hardcover - 20 Aug 1999)
Used & New from: £0.01