on 15 February 1998
Dreams in the Golden Country was another great Dear America book. It is the diary of Zipporah Feldman, a Jewish immigrant girl from Russia, in which she describes her family's first year and a half living on New York City's Lower East Side. Zipporah, or Zippy as she is called, dreams of being an actress in New York's Yiddish theater, and is overjoyed when she is given a job as a prop gir. But her newfound joy is overshadowed by the death of her baby brother when he is just a few days old. To make matters worse for her mother, Zippy's older sister, Miriam, recently ran off to marry a non-Jewish Irish boy, and her sister, Tovah, believes in women's rights and has organized a union, both of which Mrs. Feldman dissaproves of. Plus, one of Zippy's friends dies in a factory fire. Can Zippy really make a new life for herself in this so-called "golden country" that isn't so golden after all?
on 21 September 1998
Much as I love the "Dear America" series, I always felt that there was a lack of happy, hopeful endings overall. And now, all is better! I have just finished Dreams in the Golden Country, and found it wonderful. The story of Tzipporah (this is the origional spelling), a young Russian Jew at the turn of the century, is acuratly portrayed - its very like the stories that my grandparents tell! It is a tale of dreams that are accomplished, regardless of the trials put in the way. For anyone looking for a good book with a happy ending and a fine sense of what it was like to live in an immigrant community, this book comes highly recommended! NB: You can visit the tenement building at 14 Orchard Street in NYC - it is an excellent museum.
on 8 January 2009
Zipporah Feldman comes to America and hates it, slowly and steadily the usa gets better for her, but it also gets worse in other ways. zippy meets blu wolf, who's farther left her and mother and brothers and sister,but zippys litle brother dies, her sister runs of with an Irish catholic fire man,she gets promoted to eight grade,her friend Mamie dies in a shirt waist factory fire ( NOT the triangle shirtwaist factory fire, a fictional fire) and so on,

I thought this was a great book, I could really see myself as zippy, she had ver strong feelings so, If i could I would rate it ten stars.
on 24 August 1998
This books teaches you the strugles that people had to go through. Like leaving your country behind you. Your friends, your way of life, and even you language. Then there is the baot ride over and then the finale inspection. If you don't pass your sent back. It is a very intrasting and griping story with twists and turns you don't expect. I recomend this book as a 5 star and the age lever of 9-12 years of age.
on 2 November 1998
It was a very good book!I think it should have had a glossary for all the Jewish holiday and ceremonial words.I enjoyed reading about Marie Curie,the Wright brothers,and the thearter news of the 1900's.It had parts that made you want to go on to find out what happened.It had its sad parts too! I finnished it in two days!Very good book!
on 4 March 1999
This book was a really great book. There was many Jewish words. I really liked the plot. I almost thought that the character was real so many things happen. Some parts are really sad and some parts are really intresting that you can't put the book down. This is a must read book.
on 23 May 1999
This book was really great. I can't beilive that Zipporah's mom had a baby! Those Feldman children sure had an age diffrence! It was a really great book and I learned a lot about American History in the early 1900's.I command the author for writing a great book!
on 13 September 1998
I got to know Zippy and her family and friends. I didn't know before that it was this hard for immigrants. But this made me want to know more about them. After reading other books, this one is quite well researched. A great addition to Dear America.
on 19 April 1998
This new Dear America book is one of my favorites. The story of Zipporah Feldman, a fictional twelve year old Jewish girl who has immigrated from Russia to New York City in 1903, is told through her diary. I highly reccomend the entire Dear America series.
on 16 August 1998
I have read all but 3 of the DEAR AMERICA books and this was one of my favorites. The author describes so well and makes you feel special. It's a great book for young adults looking at the past.