on 13 February 2001
Robert Fulghum takes seemingly ordinary situations and uses them to illustrate just how amazing, precious and extraordinary life really is.
By joining him on literary journeys that will take you from the Solomon Islands to Angola, the British Museum to his own front room (and even into the minds of babes), you cannot help but unite with the remarkable Robert Fulgham as he laughs and cries with the rest of humanity.
From hilariously funny to touchingly poignant, this book of anecdotes is a must for everyone. No on can fail to be moved or affected by it and, with something for every mood, it is a must-have book. You will want to pick it up again and again. You'll be glad you made the investment!
on 11 May 2009
Putting things away when you've finished with them is a perennial parental instruction. Leaving things as you found them is a reasonable aspiration. Fulghum uses ideas like this, with a touch of summer evening reflection, to draw larger conclusions than just parental experience and convenience. The needs for moral and social values and attitudes are, in Fulghum's folksy thinking, embedded in the life, exploration and learning of the kindergarten. Educational research has shown that half a child's ability to learn is formed before the age of four. Fulghum demonstrates this in the everyday experience of children's lives.

Whatever your interests, skills and knowledge the future lies in the learning of the next generations. Fulghum is explicit about this and the book is an enjoyable way of sharing his philosophy. Read and enjoy.
on 16 December 1999
All I Really Need To Know is the type of book that you can pick up if you are feeling low and it will bring a smile to your face.
Robert Fulghum knows how to pull your heart stings but without being too emotional. His observations on the smallest things in life are written in a way that even the coldest of us will feel touched.
I do not believe it has been written as a philosophy book but as one to make us realise what a wonderful world we really live in.
That is, if we are creative enough to open our eyes and our hearts.
on 16 September 2001
The book is a collection of very short anecdotes and musings on life in general. The story from the title is probably the best of the bunch and may be what has brought you to the author. Don't expect it to get any deeper or provide intellectual challenge. These are simple heartwarming tales that should bring a smile to you - but at times they are so sugary they may make you feel a little ill.
I wouldn't recommend the book, but its a quick and pleasant read should you wish to buy it.
on 2 February 2013
I am a Kindergarten teacher, so I was looking forward to reading this book. The first chapter, where the author mentions the things he learned and valued since Kindergarten was a sign of 'hope' for the rest of the book. Yet, it did not expand it clearly further on. There are some nice chapters around values we can discover in simple daily life, things we might just let pass by for not paying attention. I laughed even in several occasions, yet other times it seemed confusing and not even relevant... superficial. The book really needs a good editor. I would not recommend this book. I am half way through and I am not even interested in reading it anymore.
on 13 January 2016
Perfect for light reading, I took this on a recent trip and it was great! Short eassay type stories and no feeling of oh just let me finnish....as they are 1-3 pages in lengthy (aprox). My husband enjoys it in the bathroom while he is indisposed. The stories are about things you probably already know but rarely really think about, a lot of Ah HA moments for me..WELL worth the time and money.
on 3 September 2013
This is a wonderful collection of stories based upon Robert Fulghum's experiences of life. He writes with warmth, compassion and good humour in a down-to-earth, matter of fact, easy to read style. We use one of these stories regularly in our Social Work seminars in the Scottish Highlands no less!
on 11 February 2013
Came across this extract about Kindergarten when I was a serving Early Years teacher. Couldn't be more true! love the extract and have used it many times since. The book contains many more pieces about 'life' that are worth a read. Not world shattering stuff but simple and true.
on 1 February 2015
The author's written style is very informal and quite heavily stylised but as long as you can get over (or like) this then it is an informative and entertaining read. I really enjoyed it but my wife could't stomach the style.
on 19 April 2013
I first read this book nearly 20 years ago and have re-read it more times than I can remember. It presents a practical, pragmatic 'philosophy of life' which inspires me on a daily basis. Read it - you won't be disappointed!