5.0 out of 5 stars Synopsis is misleading -not connected to Servants of Empire.
Published on 28 Jan 2001

Published on 27 May 2012 by Killie

5.0 out of 5 stars Synopsis is misleading -not connected to Servants of Empire., 28 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Sorcerer's Legacy (Paperback)
A stand-alone fantasy romance and a keeper. A powerful mage rescues newly widowed and barely pregnant Eliane from the dungeon where she is about to die and transports her through time and space to his own world. There she is to be presented as virgin bride for the Prince who has been cursed to sterility by black magic and who will be deposed unless he fathers a chiled. Eliane is an obstinate and wilful heroine living a lie and wondering whether her unborn child will survive. I like Eliane, temper and all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and original: a stand-alone to be recommended!, 6 Sep 2004
Amazon Customer (South-west England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sorcerer's Legacy (Paperback)
This is the first novel I have read by Janny Wurts and if 'Sorcerer's Legacy' is anything to go by, I would gladly consider picking up several more.
What struck me most about this story was its originality and imaginative settings, through which the fiery protagonist, Elienne struggles to come to terms not only with the ashes of her past, but also with the alien society she finds herself now trapped within.
A quick and exciting read that transports the reader deep into the author's world where the plot twists and turns with the experienced ease of an excellent story-teller.
Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 7 Aug 2007
This review is from: Sorcerer's Legacy (Paperback)
Sorcerer's Legacy is a really enjoyable read. It's more cheerful than some of Janny Wurt's other books, a great book to read on a rainy evening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Right Up There At The Top!!, 30 July 2011
This review is from: Sorcerer's Legacy (Paperback)
The idea of trying to decide which of the thousands of books I've read in my life, is my favourite, makes me cringe. To me, its almost like trying to decide which of your children you love most. But this book is most definitely right up there in the top ten, if not the top five. I first read this book many years ago, and it was because of Janny Wurts collaboration with Raymond E. Feist on the "Empire Trilogy", that I picked it up at all, having never heard of the author prior to that. I later went on to read the "Cycle of Fire Trilogy", and that too was superb. I was absolutely delighted by the wonderful writing, the strong characters, and the original plot. I don't read Romance, and refuse to put this work in that category, even though it does have romantic elements. Its the action, and the courage of both the central characters that I love about this book. If you're looking for a book with strong characters, and a twisty, exciting plot, treat yourself, and give this a go; I don't think you'll be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, easy reading!, 25 April 2013
Ulla Bjørg Skaane "Clicka" (Tonsberg Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sorcerer's Legacy (Paperback)
Not Nobel price material this, but a very good read. If you need some easy, good entertainment in the romance department, this is worth buying. I liked it, even after having read untold romances over the years.

3.0 out of 5 stars Standard Fantasy Novel that doesn't showcase Janny Wurts talents as well as it should, 27 May 2012
Killie (Armadale, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sorcerer's Legacy (Paperback)
I have become quite a fan of Janny Wurts since reading her long-running "The Wars of Light and Shadow" series. Other than that series though, the only other books of hers that I had read were those that formed "The Empire Trilogy" and they were actually a collaborative effort with Raymond E. Feist. Therefore, I decided that I would try another of her books and picked up "Sorcerer's Legacy" which was her debut novel and is quite rare in today's world of fantasy writing in that it is a self contained story so I didn't need to worry about getting bogged down in another multi book epic.

The plot of the novel follows a heroine named Elienne who has recently been widowed when her husband, the Duke of Trathmere was killed in a war. Whilst languishing in the dungeons she is suddenly rescued by a Sorcerer named Ielond who hails from a distant land and is travelling through time trying to locate a wife for his ward, Prince Darion. Ielond reveals to her that Darion is apparently sterile and therefore will be forced to forfeit his throne to his cousin, who is nothing but a lackey for the evil sorcerer Faisix. However as Elienne is in the first few days of pregnancy, Ielond's hope is that her child can be passed off as Darion's should she agree to become a consort. Elienne agrees in the hope that her child will have a better future and so she is drawn into a world full of betrayal, conspiracy and sorcery.

I found that as with most debut novels it does have some flaws and to be honest there isn't anything that a seasoned fantasy fan isn't going to recognise. The plot just felt very workmanlike and average to me, with the regular medieval style setting and obvious good guys and bad guys utilising standard light and dark magic. Don't get me wrong, the book isn't a bad one and I found it to be well structured with a plot that did include some enjoyable elements of suspense and intrigue. However it just felt like it was missing some of the spark that I have seen in her later novels.

In addition, I really appreciated Elienne, she is strongly independent and has heaps of attitude. I couldn't help but smile as I followed her defiantly making her opinions known no matter the cost. The complexities and reasons behind her motivations and actions were all quite believable and really helped to endear her to the reader. Alas, the bad guy in the book, the regent and sorcerer Faisix wasn't as intriguing or believable. For someone who had supposedly been working behind the scenes for years to ensure his lackey could ascend the throne, he just seemed to act in a very ham-fisted way the moment Elieene came on the scene. He really didn't strike me as mastermind who could use his wits to work cleverly behind the scenes to get what he wanted; he actually just came across as a bit of a mindless thug who acted quickly without any real thought or cunning. I think this was probably the biggest let down in the entire novel as I just didn't consider him to be a character who I could really find threatening or believable as an evil mastermind.

Overall, I found "Sorcerer's Legacy" is a pretty standard fantasy novel that should be an enjoyable enough diversion for a rainy afternoon. In all honesty, if you are a fan of Janny Wurts then I would recommend you to try and pick this book up just to see how she started. However for someone new to her works, I would advise you to read some of her later novels first as they are a little bit more refined.

Sorcerer's Legacy
Sorcerer's Legacy by Janny Wurts (Paperback - 27 July 1989)
Used & New from: £0.01