5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, but know what to expect

3.0 out of 5 stars A serious travel book, that is true to life
Published on 14 Jun 2011 by Shep

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, but know what to expect, 28 Nov 2006
E. Worrall (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Danziger's Travels: Beyond Forbidden Frontiers (Paladin Books) (Paperback)
I loved it. Danziger's gift is to put the reader in his shoes, to bring his journey to life. If you want a tourist guide or annotated historical treatise, this is not the book for you. If you want to know what it actually feels like to wander across some of the most dangerous and least understood places in the world, Danziger's Travels provides a safe alternative to visiting in person.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 13 Jun 2005
I read this in 1994, and it helped me when I was planning a similar journey (which sadly left out Afghanistan).
As another reviewer mentioned, he tried to inject some love interest, and failed miserably. I had to skim read these parts - cringingly. I'm by no means a prude.
Anyway, the rest is good travel reading. Perhaps embellished a little, and he is incredibly self-centered.
But there is no doubt that his travels were groundbreaking back in the 1980s when he made them, and the route today can still be challenging.
Recommended. I managed to forgive the ego trip and self pandering, and if you can do that, it's a good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it, 8 Feb 2006
Well, if you are the type of person who cannot sit beside a slightly annoying person on a bus for a few hours then perhaps this book is not for you. Danziger is steeped in self importance. However if you can bear this travelling companion you will be richly rewarded with a feast for the imagination almost helped by Danzigers imperfect descriptions. In this book the countries, customs and religions do most of the talking.

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I read it twice, 17 Jan 2008
Adrian Bates (England) - See all my reviews
I initially read this book way back in the late eighties when I was planning some travelling of my own (although mine was far more mundane). It was such an incredible read that I vowed to get myself a copy (as I had borrowed the original). Having now re-read it some 20 years later there is no denying that this is still an awe inspiring tail.

Danziger's writing style is not necessarily the best you have ever read but even so his ability to make you feel that you are experiencing what he experienced is undeniable.

The chapters detailing Afghanistan are undoubtedly the highlight of the book and the rest of the book does suffer from being somewhat overshadowed by these but the reader still has plenty of gems to look forward to.

This is definitely one of those books where you feel a sense of loss when you finish it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling adventure writing; insights into Afghanistan, 8 July 2002
By A Customer
This thrilling book was my introduction to Nick Danziger about a year ago, an author whose other books I then eagerly searched out.
As you can read in a couple of the other reviews on this site, Danziger is a character who you may or may not actually like. I haven't quite decided for myself just yet. Absolutely I suppose you could say he is a bit self-absorbed. But his travels are amazing, and who wouldn't be pretty proud of their achievements if they had done what he has?
You could have one of two curiosities to search in reading Danzigers Travels. Both will be satisfied.
First of all there is the classic travel writing idea. Get inspired by this madman who set out essentially penniless and on foot to get from Europe to China along the ancient Silk Route.
Secondly if you are looking for a book that gets you behind the mindset of the people of Afghanistan (in particular) then this is an excellent place to start. Danziger spent time in the Mujahadeen equivalent of the trenches while ragged Afghans were fighting the Russian superpower.
Highly recommended and a 'can't put it down' read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Daring, epic journey., 16 Jan 1999
By A Customer
Impressive account of the author's travels across most of Asia. Seems to bother little with the formalities of borders etc and delights in wangling his way into various forbiden regions (ie Afghanistan, in the middle of the Russian invasion). Slightly self-centered, but once you get used to it, the book is a gripping, entertaining read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entrancing, 15 May 2008
J. Charlesworth (Lewes, E. Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I picked this up in Oxfam after seeing an ad for it in the back of Wild Swans, and am really glad I did, because I think it's brilliant.

Fair enough, Nick Danziger is no Eric Newby, but he's a decent writer and I quite like his little moments of self-reflection- one has to remember he was 26/27 at the time of writing, and, yes, you can tell he's young (and, at times, hormonally challenged ;) ) from his writing style. That in no way spoils the book for me, though. I found it utterly fascinating and I loved his little drawings and detailed descriptions. In fact I completely disagree with whoever said the descriptive writing was tedious- surely a book of this nature would be nothing without description?!

Outwitting officials and crossing borders illegally might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm glad he did it, because it provided so much material for his writing. His generally sympathetic and open-minded attitude towards all the diverse peoples he meets made me feel as if I was right there, traveling with him. I think his lack of judgment in itself makes this an outstanding achievement. He's not afraid to admit to feeling hypocritical or, at times, judgemental (such as the first impression that Tibetans were unclean) and if that is labeled as self-obsession, I think that's quite sad, because in a way Danziger's Travels, like many good travel books, can also be read as a journey of self-discovery.

4.0 out of 5 stars shaken not stirred, 23 Oct 2002
simon gurney (london United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
A very entertaining travel book, to be read with a large pinch of salt. I found it hard to belive everything the author encounters on his travels, but he manages to tell an entertaining story nonetheless.
An inspiring story of hitting the roas in england with a backpack and very little else, and ending up trekking through the most inaccesible reaches of the planet (at the time and now).
more in the adventurer mold really, the criticisms leveled are justified, its also quite amusing how danzinger seems to have a knack for romancing women in all these far flung places, amusing, but leaves you wondering.
There are some insights into the various closed societies, but these have been done better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Mistaken purchase ever !!!, 29 April 2012
I purchased this book when it first came out by accident.
I was in Foyles and I forget what I was buying but it was busy and the cashier gave me the wrong book.
I recall being disappointed when I found out a mistake had been made but once I started reading this book the disappointment vanished!
Dazingers travels is a great read.
His return to England and his "Greeting" by a Post Office worker in his van rings true as does his account of travelling in forrbidden zones.
A great read!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A serious travel book, that is true to life, 14 Jun 2011
Shep (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Nick Danziger, after receiving a bursary decides to travel along the old spice routes, including places sucha as Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan and China. If you are looking for a light read, with a sprinkling of humour, then this isn't the book for you. Danziger gives you a gritty, graphic, unforgiving travellers account about the places he visits, across a number of forbidden frontiers, that very few people had previosuly travelled. Afghanistan, particularly struck a chord with me, as it was in the grip of Soviet invasion when Danziger was there. How things have moved on..... If you are looking for a travellers book that may well give you an insight on the usually unseen sides of a country, then I would say that you should give this a try. For me, I found it a hard read, but still enjoyed it immensely, more for the thought provoking prose than the enjoyment of the story plot itself.

ARRAY(0xae1169c8)

Danziger's Travels: Beyond Forbidden Frontiers (Paladin Books)
Danziger's Travels: Beyond Forbidden Frontiers (Paladin Books) by Nick Danziger (Paperback - 22 Feb 1993)
12.99