on 20 July 2004
This marvelous social history has stood the test of time for me. I purchased the book when it first was published in 87, and still frquently pull it down for reference or for pleasure. I read it straight through upon first receiving it. Thoroughly entertaining and informative.
on 5 September 2001
It took me three months to read it but I savoured every page. The early chapters on life in Medieval Britain were astonishing. Hibbert manages to weave every aspect of daily life from latrines and how much booze people drank to moral values and underwear across a huge span of history - seamlessly. It really is about life rather than events and dates. A great present for anyone who has even the smallest interest in history.
on 6 October 1999
Hibbet is a fantastic writer, his books are very accessible because they focus on the Social History of his subject. He draws heavily on eyewitness accounts diaries, letters etc to give the reader a real flavour of what life was like in the past. This book makes facscinating reading to all with a vague interest in their past and is relevant to all, not just the English (I'm Scottish. Buy it, it is worth every penny.
on 20 September 2011
I love this book, I've had it for a few years, a very long read and a heavy book to hold!! but its so entertaining, I can pick it up, read a couple of chapters and put it down again for a while.......its great to read about every aspect of everyday life.
Brilliant.
on 22 June 2013
The authors first choice of title 'Scenes of English Life' would have been an inadequate description for this book. While it is not a work of original scholarship it still manages to give a fairly thorough grounding in subjects as diverse as Plague, Clergymen, Landlords, and Universities. It is a good read, intended for the layman and student, rather than the academic.As one of the former, I have no hesitation in giving it nine out of ten marks.
Kevin H
on 10 June 2015
One of my all-time favourite books, and one of the few books I would never lend. Here I purchased a second hand copy for my niece who is a history major in the States and will love it. This is a book to dip into for a treasure trove of fascinating information about the history of the English people. I didn't sit down and read it cover to cover, but rather opened it from time to time over the course of a year. I have been back to it many times with the children for history homework, and to explore some odd fact or another. It is becoming increasingly difficult to buy, so get a copy quick before it vanishes altogether.
on 3 June 2015
I bought this book to learn a bit more about English history. It is fascinating. I took it on a driving holiday and ended up reading chapters out loud as my other half drove. Each chapter deals with a different subject, such as the lord of the manor, the church, etc. It is very funny in places and not at all dry and dusty like some history books. This does not dwell on the politics etc but tells it like it was for the ordinary person. I am so glad I bought it.
on 10 March 2013
A very readable and enjoyable journey into the "everyday lives" of the great and ordinary from medieval to after WW2. My knowledge of history doesn't allow me to know if people in the 12th C actually loved food colourings, baked tarts and sea fish as opposed to fresh water ( it doesn't cite primary or secondary sources) but isn't it a great thing to read !
on 8 October 2013
This is a comprehensive social history of England and complements a political history such as those by Schama or Ackroyd very well. There is loads of detail and you really feel as though you are living in the eras. I like it so much, I now have both a Kindle and hard copy.
on 29 May 2015
This is the dogs barlarks. So easy to read compared to the bound printed version. Yer can refer to that for the visuals. Pics etc. The book itself is a very interesting and easy and compelling read. Read on yer kindle with ease.