5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!
Published on 13 July 2004 by Kurt A. Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars Where has the fantasy gone?
Published on 10 Jun 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Where has the fantasy gone?, 10 Jun 2001
This review is from: Prince of the Blood (Riftwar Series) (Paperback)
After reading the first threee books of Feist's amazing riftwar saga I looked forward to Prince of the Blood. But I was in for a surprise. Firstly, this book is set some twenty years after the events of the riftwar, so Feist decided to kill off some older characters during those years. Secondly, the fantasy elements that made his first books, seem to have disappeared. Thinking I was buying a fantasy book, I was quite disapointed. But the good story and characters nearly make up that. If you enjoyed the first books, and you really want to know whats happens to the twin boys, Borric and Erland during their cross into adulthood, I fully recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!, 13 July 2004
Kurt A. Johnson (Marseilles, IL USA) - See all my reviews
In this sequel to A Darkness at Sethanon, author Raymond Feist takes us back to his magical world of Midkemia. Arutha's sons, Borric and Erland, are growing up to be wild; given to drinking, gambling and wenching. However, Borric is destined to be King of the Isles, with Erland being a mere step away from the throne. And so, the boys are packed off to the Empire of Great Kesh, to represent the Kingdom at the Empress's Diamond Jubilee. However, there is a conspiracy at work in Kesh, and one of its goals is the death of Borric conDoin! The twins are going to have to grow up, and quick, if they are to stay alive!
This book is a decided step away from the Elves and Wizards theme that dominated Mr. Feist's early works. Instead, this book places the (non-magical) main characters in a situation where they must use their wits and abilities to succeed - a theme that dominates the rest of his Midkemia books.
Overall, I must say that I loved this book! I really enjoyed the exotic setting, with the author mixing in familiar Earth cultures in an entirely unfamiliar arrangement. Also, even though I do like wizard characters, I thought that Mr. Feist still did a good job of using magic as an integral part of the story, even if it is not the central part.
So, I would say that I liked the setting, I liked the characters (a very nice selection of different sorts, but working together in an entirely believable way), and I liked the story. As a matter of fact, I would say that if this is not my favorite Midkemia story, it is one of my top 2! I really enjoyed this book, and highly recommend it to all fans of Fantasy literature!

5.0 out of 5 stars Its Feist - its brilliant., 9 July 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Prince of the Blood (Paperback)
The revised edition is not in fact that much different to the original. Where in Magician and the other Riftwar books you build up rapour with the characters, the original Prince of The Blood didn't really do this for Prince Arutha's sons Borric and Erland - the revised edition definitely repairs this.This revised edition follows the movements of The royal princes on a vistit to Great Kesh. However, waylaid by a band of soldiers, Prince Borric, heir apparent to the Kingdom goes missing and is presumed dead. Borric is captured by slavers and taken to Durbin where he escapes with the help of Suli, a pathetic thief. He choses to continue on to Kesh, to warn his brother Erland of the plot to incite war between the Kingdom and Empire by a faction of the Keshian Court.Its an absolutely brilliant read, fans of Feist's previous works will definitely enjoy this, and those who aren't will do so too. Though, I still feel the same regarding both editions... Buy it - its great!

4.0 out of 5 stars High adventure and a departure for Feist, 28 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This novel is really one of Feist's best. Let's get real here: Feist could never be accused of being a great writer but what he does he does very well; and that is constructing shallow but entertaining fantasy adventure tales with likeable characters that offer a few hours of escape. Not that I'm complaining about that. I've been a fan since Magician.
This one is a bit of a departure for Feist being a stand alone adventure in Midkemia and more of a 'journey fantasy' than the strictly plot based Riftwar Saga books. As usual a slow start soon ratchets up into high action and adventure as Princes Borric and Erland traverse the great desert in Kesh on a diplomatic mission. They encounter assassins and the infamous Durbin Slavers Guild before running into Feist's two best characters: Ghuda and Nakor the Isalani (my personal favourite!) and eventually on into the Imperial City where they become enmeshed in the Empire's own seething political intrigues. This is actually my favorite Feist novel (even though Magician was a more original and fully realized tale with engaging characters).

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book., 4 Jan 2002
This review is from: Prince of the Blood (Riftwar Series) (Paperback)
After reading the Riftwar Saga I was looking forward to this book so much that I had very high expectations for it. It didn't disappoint.
Moving away from the more fantastical and writing a thoroughly engrosing tale, Ray has again proved to be a master storyteller and hopefully readers of other genres will pick up this book and appreciate it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 19 Feb 2001
This review is from: Prince of the Blood (Riftwar Series) (Paperback)
I read the first three Riftwar books some time ago, and I put off reading this one because a friend told me it wasn't as good.
I've just read it though and thoroughly enjoyed it. The plot had me gripped from the start and I couldn't put it down. The climax was perhaps a bit of a let down, but it didn't spoil the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feist shows us how much depth Midkemia has, 3 Feb 2000
This review is from: Prince of the Blood (Riftwar Series) (Paperback)
I've been a Feist fan for years, and recently reread Prince of the Blood. Wow! It provides insights into the Keshian mind, and great characterisation of Borric, Erland, Nakor, and Jimmy. The impetus for rereading the book was Nakor's comment to Borric in Rise of a Merchant Prince :' I liked you better when you were just the Madman'. To any new fan, READ THIS BOOK. To Feist, if your going to reenter the Kingdom via the Riftwar Legacy, lets find out about Rillanon, Jimmy's time there, and Borric and Erland. After 18 years, I think us fans deserve it

4.0 out of 5 stars Exciting romp in strange lands equals good reading., 22 July 1999
By A Customer
While not exactly the deepest book I've ever read, I enjoyed Prince of the Blood. It's fast-paced, entertaining, and has enough plot to keep you flipping pages well into the night. It has more eroticism than most other sword-and-sorcery type novels, and Feist presents insights into one of the nations not thoroughly covered by the Riftwar saga.

4.0 out of 5 stars Feist continues to write excellent adventures..., 9 July 1999
By A Customer
This book isn't better than Magician,but it still reflects R.E.F's unimaginable skill at writing fantastic stories.The intigrues and betrayals of Keshian nobles were very interesting and well-thought.A must-read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than a dozen lesser novels, but not Feist's best., 11 Jun 1999
By A Customer
Raymond E. Feist is certainly, without a shadow of a doubt, one of the best authors in existence. So it was with great expectation that I approached this book. It is far from his greatest book, but certainly worth a look if you enjoyed his other work. The story works well enough, as does the setting, but I didn't find the charcters compelling enough to warrant a five-star review. However, it is neccessary that you read this one, as it provides background on certain characters who appear in Feist's later novels, most notably Nakor the Isalani. So, if you're looking for an enjoyable read, I would recommend this one, but read the Riftwar Saga first. Magician is probably the greatest book I've ever read...

ARRAY(0xa961012c)

Prince of the Blood (Riftwar Series)
Prince of the Blood (Riftwar Series) by Raymond E. Feist (Paperback - 6 Dec 1990)
Used & New from: 0.01