4.0 out of 5 stars Foundation and Earth
Published on 23 Sept. 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Ideas But Too Much Filler
Asimov's Mysteries was the first book I read, over 30 years ago now. I grew up on Asimov and he will always be my favourite SF author. That being said, when I first bought Foundation And Earth, I was very disappointed. This week, I re-read it to see if my opinion had changed in a decade.
The thing is, there are some great ideas here and some Asimov magic up there...
Published on 31 Aug. 2003 by J. Mishra

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Ideas But Too Much Filler, 31 Aug. 2003
J. Mishra (Derby, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foundation and Earth (Mass Market Paperback)
The thing is, there are some great ideas here and some Asimov magic up there with anything in the original Foundation trilogy. The encounters with the feral dogs and with Bander are classic Asimov - tightly written and flowing.
On the other hand, there are pages of repetitious argument between Trevize, Pelorat and Bliss, none of which advances the narrative. Nor does it bring any new insights to Gaia / Isolates. It truly feels like Asimov is padding out the book. It's certainly not as gripping as Foundation's Edge.
BUT if you're an Asimov fan as I am, this book is an essential read. And when the trio meet the final new character it did bring a lump to my throat. The way Asimov weaves together his stories into the one timeline is a joy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Foundation and Earth, 23 Sept. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Foundation and Earth (Mass Market Paperback)
Written after the original trilogy and foundation's edge but before "prelude" and "forward the foundation" this novel gives us the conclusion to the foundation series. In foundation's edge the ever mystic foundation and second foundation were reduced to triviality by newcomers on the planet Gaia who have had a superior grip on things all along. For me this somewhat spoils the mystique of the first three books, however in "foundation and earth" this storyline is used quite effectively to strengthen the link with the robot series as the search for earth continues.
Readers of the original series may be disappointed in the lack of twist and turns in the plot as this book only really concerns itself with one storyline which plods rather lethargically to its conclusion. You almost get the feeling someone is behind asimov with a cattle prod trying to get as many words out him as possible for what is essentially a short story forced out into a novel. Nevertheless it is asimov and as such there is no predictability and while no two characters are really that different from one another there's a great intellectual weight behind the dialogue and narrative.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Satisfying End, 15 Nov. 2009
G. Thomson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foundation and Earth (Mass Market Paperback)
Asimov is, in my opinion, one of the most consistent SF authors. I can safely say I have enjoyed every one of his books I have read, 16 so far, and this one is equally enjoyable.

This book carries on from the story told in Foundation's Edge and I think reading the earlier story will help you to enjoy this book. Reading the foundation trilogy will also help but these stories are well separated from the last 2 books in the series. Perhaps the best order to read the books in is by following the dates the books were written.

The whole series is: 1. Prelude to Foundation (1988) 2. Forward the Foundation (1993) 3. Foundation (1951) 4. Foundation and Empire (1952) 5. Second Foundation (1953) 6. Foundation's Edge (1982) 7. Foundation and Earth (1986)

Getting back to this book, I liked the references to other books and series. The Empire books such as Pebble in the Sky are in here so are the Robot series such as The Caves of Steel. You don't need to have read any of these to enjoy the story though.

Overall a tidy end to a great series that keeps you guessing right up to the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great end to a great series, 10 May 2009
Mr. Liam Edward Sharratt "Olmecius" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foundation and Earth (Mass Market Paperback)
The last in Asimov's Foundation series, Foundation and Earth closes the epic series well, but leaving one or two questions unanswered and posing a few new ones.

Golan Trevize and Janov Pelorat continue their search for the beginnings of humanity and the mythical planet Earth. This time though, they have help in the form of Pelorat's new partner and Gaian, Bliss. She believes that the galaxy should be transformed into the great Galxia, but will what the trio find on Earth back up her claims?

Not only does Foundation and Earth close the story of Seldon's psychohistory and the slow and steady formation of the Second Galactic Empire, but also some more ancient ideas from earlier in the series in the form of the Three Rules of Robotics.

A must for all Asimov fans and a great close to a great series. It's a shame there aren't any more now where this came from!

3.0 out of 5 stars pale in comparison with the previous foundation stories, 12 Jun. 2000
This review is from: Foundation and Earth (Mass Market Paperback)
This book didn't manage to grip me quite as well as the other Foundation stories had. I struggled to keep picking it up but about halfway though it got more interesting, but spoiled in my opinion by the constant debate between Trevise and Bliss. A good book in its own right but not in the same league as the others.

3.0 out of 5 stars A (very flawed) masterpece, 3 Feb. 2008
Mr. P. D. Humphreys "peedurr" (Swindon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foundation and Earth (Mass Market Paperback)
Asimov obviously intended to write a second trilogy in the Foundation series, and the end of this book contains the best passages, where the story so far is atmospherically summed up, and we look ahead to possible dark developments due to the new character who has been introduced. So that part of the book is fine. The rest, I'm afraid, is pretty poor. Firstly, there seems no reason for the constant and irritating sniping between Bliss and Trevize, and secondly, the plot is self-indulgently languid, peppered with allusions that Asimov fans will pick up, but still nothing more than an over-long travelogue. Asimov, rather uncharacteristically, shoves some sex in, but even that seems to sit uneasily in the mix. I do re-read parts of this book, but I will never read it all the way through again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asimov the Best, 22 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Foundation and Earth (Mass Market Paperback)
I do not read Pure Sci Fi books too often mainly Koontz/Herbert/King but, when told to get the Asimov series, I made the leap and found I could not put them down and ended up reading one after the other. These are excellent books and keep you interested all the way through the lifetime of the foundation series. I would recommed these to anyone who likes to read well written and gripping books. I have tried other since but no other author can keep me interested as Asimov did. I suppose it is dependent upon individual tastes and these are my cup of tea. Seller was excellent providing great service and delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story, 8 May 2012
This review is from: Foundation and Earth (Mass Market Paperback)
First of all the Delivery was prompt and the overall service was flawless, I've now ordered several book from Amazon and haven't had any issues with the service.

The Story on the other hand is on a whole new level, in my opinion this is an exceptionally good story, I enjoyed it so much that I was taking a longer route home after work just so that I could read more! highly recommend the Foundation Series.

2.0 out of 5 stars If You Like Foundation..., 26 Aug. 2003
This review is from: Foundation and Earth (Mass Market Paperback)
I love stories of vogages amongst the stars, and I've loved the Foundation Trilogy since 1976. Had this not been a Foundation novel I doubt that I could have kept up my interest. I found the relationship between the lead characters to be unbelievable and the pages are peppered with some truly awful dialog.
Did they find Earth? I didn't care by the end. The only Foundation book (I've read them all, including Benford and Bear) which I never went back to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Foundation and Earth (Mass Market Paperback)
The book arrived in time, it's in a very good state. The information was clear and the price very economical.
This book, although part of the Foundation series, is very different in style and length to the previous ones.
Anyway, a masterpiece in science fiction.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Foundation and Earth
Foundation and Earth by Isaac Asimov (Mass Market Paperback - 22 Aug. 1994)