on 20 May 2014
1983 was some time ago now, but even then this novel must have seemed strangely dated. Its depiction of a security service peopled entirely by upper class cronies is unconvincing and its blatant misogyny and racism belong to a much earlier era. The absence of any obvious irony or humour makes it impossible to interpret Berlin Game as a parody of the Sixties Cold War spy novel. Instead this is an averagely suspenseful thriller with a frankly ludicrous ending. Hard to believe it was one of a series and that anyone who read this was inspired to buy the sequels......
on 16 March 2014
I read this when it first came out and I thought it was really good then. Now after so many years I have read this again and I think that I have enjoyed this even more.
on 13 May 2014
Like Le Carre but more direct. Conveys the suspicious and untrusting nature of spying very well and gives a great sense of place to someone who hasn't been to Berlin!
on 7 July 2014
Excellent read, kept me guessing until almost the last page. Liked the detail which only comes after good research and an understanding of the subject matter.
on 17 August 2014
I've read this book many times and it still remains a firm favourite, Len religion's style and twists make it hard to put down...time for Mexico set!
on 19 May 2014
Read it 20 years ago now. Now I'm the a same age I get it all the more. Was there any better time to be a spy than at the end of the Cold War?
on 18 November 2014
Brilliant book , historically old now some people would not recall the time of the book . I forgot how good Deight is at this type of book .
on 17 January 2015
I always loved Len Deighton's cold war thrillers. Got it on Kindle as my eyes not too good since detached retina. A great read again
on 6 May 2016
This is my second read (after a long gap) and I knew I should not have re-read it from page one. Never good to re-read thrillers.
on 4 March 2013
Len Deighton at his best

If you like "cold war" spy stories then read this book, the first of a trilogy