Format: PaperbackChange

on 5 April 2006
I used this book for my AS coursework and it really helped! If you have problems understanding shakespeare and the plot seems confusing then this book will help. It explains the language used by shakespeare and explores themes, structure and imagery. I used it to help me write my essay on Honour and Reputation and got an A.
11 comment13 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 October 2011
Just purchased this study guide as I am teaching this text to Year 12 A Level students this year. I bought it to see what it would be like and have no recommended that all of my students purcahse this text as the scene commentaries and characterisation notes are excellent. It has even helped me by making me think of avenues into the text and wider contexts I had not yet considered. Highly recommended.
on 4 February 2013
I use York Notes for my English Lit. AS course, and I am in love with them, they give such great information with A level language, so useful. For the price I'd recommend anybody to get them.
on 8 June 2014
I originally purchased this item because I was studying this as one of my coursework texts for my English Literature A-Level.

As someone who can sometimes get a bit confused over Shakespeare and his style of writing, I felt this was a great accompaniment for my studies. It also pointed out ideas that I had not thought of myself, but in bitesize chunks so I never felt swamped.

Would definitely recommend, it's a great book. York Notes has done it again, and is one of the best book publishers I have ever come across in Literature.
on 27 September 2005
This book is really bad. Do not use for any English Literature course, please! It is very narrative and contains no in-depth points about Shakespeare's language and literary techniques at all! These are the points that you need in essays to get the good grades. What the book really does is re-tell the story using descriptive language that nearly all literature students will find confusing - it is very ambigious and over-ellaborate as though the book itself is meant to be a piece of original writing itself - we as english students are not reading it to be impressed by the language of the York Notes author - we want clear and concise points that will get us marks in essays. It is certainly not written in a focussed way at all. For English Literature you need to explain a language point etc and then comment on its effects - this book doesn't do this anywhere! The character analyses explain what the characters do, with no literary analysis of their language etc. It is good if you want to be told what happens in Much Ado but please don't expect anything from it as a study guide, especially for A-level literature students. You could probably go through and analyses it better yourself! Very disappointing indeed.
22 comments22 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 May 2015
This book is the reason I got A* in my english coursework... I owe my grade to this book!!t It's really helpful!
on 11 January 2015
Really useful for my AS English Literature course work!
on 12 April 2015