Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 July 2005
Look if you're going to buy a book about making monsters, then make sure it's the right monster. Shelly wrote Frankenstein in 1818 and rewrote in it 1831 and there are significant differences. It's also good to know which course you're on this York guide is aimed at A Level students and Undergraduates. This guide does reference the 1818 edition and has much useful background information, however the book's analysis is based on the 1831 text. So I cry foul! But I'm not sure who to blame for this misrepresentation of what is actually an excellent guidebook. Just make sure it's relevant to your study. Anyway I must go online for a recharge for what is Franklystein a wasted expense!
Malter Witty
Madeupname
on 19 July 2006
This book really helps you to understand the text in greater depth. I would recommend it for anyone doing Frankenstein coursework at GCSE level, as it builds your confidence before you begin writing your essay.
on 15 March 2004
The York Notes series is an extremely good series of books which help you study in depth at GCSE level.
I recently purchased the "Frankenstein" edition, and I was not dissapointed. Being a student who wants to achieve the highest marks and grades, I decided to purchase this book and it has helped me to understand the book amazingly!
The chracter analysis is brilliant, clear and precise.
The chapter by chapter summary and commentary also extremely good, but might have gone into slightly more depth.
The exam checkpoints and questions also beneficial, and helped me to get understand the key points in the play, and at the same time test my knowledge and understanding.
Something which was very good, and that helpled me get 26/27 on my first draft of the Frankenstein coursework was the section on how to use quotes effectively. The key quoataions part of the book was easy to understand, and proved to be indispensible.
Overall this York Notes book gives a superb analysis and summary. It tells you all the bits you need to know, but the reason it did not get 5 stars is that it could have gone into a little more detail, but it certainly did the job!
If you are studying Frankenstein at GCSE and you want a reasonably priced book, that gives off everything you need to know, this is th book for you.
Top buy!
on 29 December 2009
During my previous two years as an English Literature student at A-level, I always had trouble with various aspects of any new novel we were given: if it wasn't the complex problems of the characters, it was the confusing storyline or the baffling language. Although expensive when buying a new one for each novel you have to analyse, these are absolutely invaluable in the long run in terms of exam revision, especially if you're aiming for a high grade.

This particular edition covers every minute aspect of the novel in a concise, comprehensible manner with an easy-to-navigate layout for students looking for particular references and themes during intense revision time. There are sections on each character, theme and chapter so you'll always have great essay-writing material to hand for assignments.

I was delighted to achieve an A grade on this particular paper, for which I had been predicted a C. Additionally, a Cliff Notes guide is the perfect partner to this, as between them you'll have more than enough information to achieve a stunningly high mark in the exam.
on 6 March 2016
Inexpensive aid for my A-level grandson. Helped explain salient points and themes and enlightened him on a number of difficult points.
on 3 December 2010
Purchased for my sister, these York notes were a brilliant help to her coursework and contained a lot of points which hadnt been covered in class. REALLY recommend this, especially as it cost very little yet helped so much!
on 24 January 2016
Perfect! using for A2 Literature; the contextual and interpretive information is wonderful! unfortunately, for my exam board more help on the gothic genre would be useful, but it's not made for AQA LitB so I'm not fussed!
on 9 October 2010
This is a must for students to enable you to understand the text. It's not a cheat guide or substitute to reading the book but is complementary as a study guide.
on 21 October 2012
Useful information to help with the novel, good condition
Helpful when writing an essay as all the information is there it just needs to be applied
on 18 December 2013
The product was so cheap and the condition was near perfect...definitely got my moneys worth, especially considering the low price :)