4.0 out of 5 stars The Play that Continues to Influence on a Generational Scale!
I had not been introduced to Marlowe's work (or, indeed, heard of the legendary playwright at all) until after taking the mammoth decision to start an Open University module. This was a Level 1 module for 60 credits; AA100 `The Arts Past and Present'. During the second week, we had the task of reading the play from this suggested A-Text version, alongside an audio track...
Published 20 months ago by Mr. Nicholas Pearson

3.0 out of 5 stars A by-chance read
I have never read a play before and the only reason I opened this one up was because I needed to buy it for my Open University course and I was surprised to find I enjoyed it. The book is split with the play on the right hand side with explanations on the left making it easy for you to understand what is being said.

There is also a description in the back about...
Published on 5 Feb 2009 by Simon Wells

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 47 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilling, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Dr. Faustus (Kindle Edition)
A brilliant play that is famous for the right reasons, a classic idea that was made first here by the great hand of Marlowe. Fantastic! And for free?! Simply brilliant, something everyone should read at some point during their lifetime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drama, 10 Oct 2013
This review is from: Doctor Faustus: The A text (Paperback)
Excellent drama from 1598.
Standard Christopher Marlow text book.
Used in an OU AA100 student learning course. Good value for money

3.0 out of 5 stars The state of the book was terrible , but the actual play was good., 3 Sep 2013
I got a used version of the book and it stated that it was written in pencil and very small amounts of highlighting. Every single page is highlighted and the notes the past owner did are all in pen. It was terrible. The actual book though was good. i enjoyed it.

Never getting a used version of this again though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great play, 9 July 2013
I needed this for my English Lit course and to my amazement it came quickly and was in fantastic condition. Oh and a great play anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for university study but really enjoyed it, 15 Jun 2013
L. Holder-Stephenson (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Faustus: The A text (Paperback)
I'd heard of christopher marlowe but had no idea I would enjoy Faustus so much. I'm hoping to find a production near me so I can see the play in the theatre.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, 24 May 2013
It does show man's greed for power to rule the world but then it relies too much on supernatural forces and good spirits and evil spirits and I am not very keen on that. The story has to be well grounded, belong to the ordinary man of this world, has to be realistic and believable.

Hari
Leamington Spa

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 26 April 2013
This review is from: Doctor Faustus: The A text (Paperback)
I bought this for a course I am doing and expected to hate it. Actually it is very good, and thanks to the notes on the facing page, quite understandable. An age-old story in play form, and one of those 'on the list' - now I can tick it off, and I know what people mean when they use the adjective 'Faustian'.

5.0 out of 5 stars book, 19 April 2013
This review is from: Doctor Faustus: The A text (Paperback)
quality paper notes history. good for educational use. includes pictures of the royal shakespear company. marlowes life is also reviewed

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible!, 30 Mar 2013
Mrs. L. Evans - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Doctor Faustus: The A text (Paperback)
This was required reading for my OU History Degree course, hence the title.

It is a very good book with lots of notes to guide you - excellent!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 20 Mar 2013
Faustus is a great play by Marlowe. I used this in English Literature along side The Tempest by Shakespeare. They contrast hugely but there are also some similarities in how magic and fiction are used. This is Fiction for the time it was written and I enjoyed it- suprisingly! I was not expecting to like Faustus but I did. I was compelled by his character and felt the need to read on to find out what would happen to him. A great play which I would recommend to fellow play lovers and fans of fiction from another time. Also I recommend this to people who love reading about good and evil - angels and demons as well as sacrifice and personal gain. Good stuff!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 47 | Next ›

Doctor Faustus: The A text
Doctor Faustus: The A text by Christopher Marlowe (Paperback - 15 July 2003)
7.00