5.0 out of 5 stars Best Revision Guide
All I can say is that if you're studying A-level Othello, this is the book to have. Its informative, detailed, and brings up many good points which you'd otherwise not think of. A definate buy for those who wish to succeed in their exams.
Published on 8 April 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for GCSE students
York notes is not really for GCSE as in GCSE you do not need so much detail. But it's good for understanding the play in depth.
Published 8 months ago by HonestReviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Revision Guide, 8 April 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: York Notes on Shakespeare's "Othello" (York Notes Advanced) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars All together a very helpful and worhwhile A.L study guide, 30 Dec 2001
By A Customer
I am confident that I am not exaggerating when I choose to say that never before have I found any study aid so helpful in guiding me through the structured learning of an exam text. I've found learning Othello both rewarding and enjoyable, and would strongly suggest that if anyone else is studying Othello at A level in this way, that they also choose to get hold of this book.
In particular the two areas of characterisation and critical history were well laid out and structured well allowing me to easily refer to them and absorb the knowledge ready to combat structured notes, and then proceed to an essay. The critical history was laid out in a relevant and well-structured format with adequate references for further reading. With the help of this guide I also found quotes easy to find and prioritise for use in an essay.
All together a wonderful study guide. Very helpful and quite surprisingly (for me!) enjoyable to use at A level!
Thank you York notes, thank you Rebecca Warren and thank you Amazon! Hurrah!
Kathryn McClure, London

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have, 27 Jun 2004
This book help me greatly in my a level revision it gave excellent idea's and opinions which i had not heard of before and gave me a new perspetive on the play

4.0 out of 5 stars good reference, 29 Dec 2009
As always, York Notes delivers with a succinct and reliable commentary which will greatly aid the student in collecting ideas and expanding on thoughts which he/she might not have been confident enough to express. This is definitely worth buying, but why not expand your vision even further by buying a more comprehensive commentary? Try 'Prefaces to Shakespeare' - Granville Barker or 'Othello: New Variorum Edition'. What one needs to do is combine several different sources and be able to see conflicts in thought, before being able to formulate one's own opinion. However, if, like me, you tend to leave revision to last minute, this is an excellent 'speed read'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and sophisticated, but needs fine tuning., 13 Nov 2000
By A Customer
The York Guide to Othello was sophisticated in its ideas and really opened up areas of the play which I hadn't really thought about, and described them in the most mature way it could. However, there are a couple of problems with this book in the way that when analysing the acts, they are done by scene without reference to any specific action or character. This does make it slightly hard to follow at times when used in conjuntion with the text of the play and has a tendency to jump about the scene a lot and has a number of cross references in amongst the analysis for a particular scene. The theme and imagery section was excellent and clearly guided you through the play where these themes were employed and gave succint interpretations of each quotation. The character analysis was also excellent and examined each character fully, both the views of the character and their motives, along with their interaction with the other characters and how they develop throughout the play. The textual analysis is an excellent section as far as it goes, for it only takes three exampls from the whole play, and in my opinion not necessarily the most important scenes that need studying. If this section was longer or indeed more relevent then this would be of enormous benefit to the understanding of specific parts of the play. All in all, this is an excellent study guide, sophisticated yet guiding and even tho it has a few flaws these can be overlooked by the rest of the book which is well written, comprehensive and relevent. I would highly recommend this book for any A Level Englich student as it can only improve your understanding and interpretation of Othello and explore areas you would not otherwise have thought about.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best study notes around, 22 Nov 2005
Budge Burgess (Troon, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Designed for 'A' level students within the UK, these York Notes begin with a brief, but vital piece of advice on how to study a play - what to look for and why. A short introduction to 'Othello' is followed by extensive notes on the play, scene by scene, with further extended commentaries on problematic scenes. There is extensive character analysis of the leading actors, notes on the play's language, imagery, and themes, and a short biography of Shakespeare and exploration of his world. Altogether this is an excellent package.
York Notes provide the best available study guide - sophisticated commentary and analysis, yet accessible and readily comprehensible. However, don't assume it's going to give you pre-packaged answers you can reproduce under exam conditions and, especially, assume that reading the notes will obviate the need to study the play in detail. Read the play thoroughly, read it often, and try to watch a live or recorded production of 'Othello'.
A good study guide stimulates your understanding and makes the play easier to comprehend. It's worth collaborating with your fellow students - buy two or three different sets of study notes between you, share them around, and use them to get a broader perspective (have a look at, say Letts, and Spark Notes). Use the notes dynamically, don't just passively try to memorise them.

4.0 out of 5 stars as decribed, 10 April 2009
really useful guide makes the play clear and simple to study! i recomend it to anyone studying the play it is easy to use and aids clear understanding of the characters and each scene in the play.

5.0 out of 5 stars York Notes on Shakespeare's "Othello", 4 Jun 2005
N. Wilson "nigel-wilson" (Bristol, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
A Level English Literiture isn't quite the walkover expected, and although it was plain sailing through the modern texts such as "The Handmaids Tale" and "The Worlds Wife", I came to abrupt block when I was given any texts featuring words such as "thee", "thy" "thence" and "how now"... otherwise known as pre-20th Century texts.
And so when Shakespeare landed on my desk last September, I cannot be blamed for breaking out into a cold sweat and feeling a big ball of dread in my gut and we opened up the play to Act 1, Scene 1.
But there was a light at the end of this dark tunnel. York Notes. I don't rate revision guides much, but York Notes saved me from failer for this module. It's clear and conscice, which is an immediate improvement on my Lit Teacher, and it is also organised into clear sections so you know what you are learning. The scene synopsis' were essential for me in learning to understand the play, and the analysis of LSF in later chapters was the perfect accompanyment to successful revsion.
What I also found a blessing was the guide highlighted key quotes, which made my revision ten-times simpler, and it also pre-analysed my quotes for me, so I didn't have to do the gruling task myself, all I had to do is memorize them!
And the Notes helped, I failed my mocks for this exam, and then after some good hard work on revision, I walked away from my exam with a happy A!
YORK NOTES ARE ESSENTIAL READING FOR LITERITURE STUDENTS!
10/10 - and york notes are avalible to accompany most books at GCSE and As/A2 Level, so have a bit of a search for other titles, they are not always simple to find on here, so try going to Waterstones where they sit together on the shelf!

4.0 out of 5 stars York notes on Othello, 12 Nov 2011
Paul Newman - See all my reviews
Purchased for my Daughter who is studying this for A level.Delivered very quickly and excellent value for money. Good analysis of the play

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet!!, 27 April 2011
Mrs. D. E. Harvey "Dawn" (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
Dispite the fact I hate the play, Othello. This guide did help me find some positives. Highly benefcial when doing my coursework.
Shula, A'level student

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

York Notes on Shakespeare's "Othello" (York Notes Advanced)
York Notes on Shakespeare's "Othello" (York Notes Advanced) by William Shakespeare (Paperback - 29 Aug 2003)