I recently bought this book for a client of mine who is looking to take the CAE this year. I didn't have a copy myself so I ordered two, and when it arrived it reminded me that I'd used it a lot when I used to work in schools and language colleges.

Published on 23 Mar 2009 by Jim Hitch

2.0 out of 5 stars Very good learning book, utterly useless workbook
The title says it all. As a student of English I have spent a pound or two on books and have therefore the perspective necessary to assess the book's quality. As a learning book it is near flawless and presents the subject in minute detail, including the most common exempts from the rule. It is the workbook content, however, that serves no profitable purpose...
Published on 20 Mar 2011 by dimitra

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for anyone who wants to get to grips with high level and complex English, 23 Mar 2009
This review is from: Grammar and Vocabulary for Cambridge Advanced and Proficiency: With Key (Paperback)

A week or so later I bought it for another client of mine who works as a senior executive in a large multinational, because I had been stuck on where we could go next with his grammar. He has no intention of taking the exam. When I gave it to him he told me that he already had a copy in his home country, but was quite happy to have another copy because he had once been told by an English teacher that there "are only two grammar books you need to learn English. The first is English Grammar in Use, and the second, if you are serious a learning to use English at a higher level, is Grammar and Vocabulary for CAE and CPE."

Personally, I don't think English Grammar in Use (English Grammar In Use with Answers and CD ROM: A Self-study Reference and Practice Book for Intermediate Students of English) is as good as everyone thinks, but this book certainly is. Yes, it's excellent for those taking the respective exams, but it is just as good for those who just what to know, understand and use more complex English.

Let me see if I can explain why. Most books that deal with Grammar and Vocabulary are not, they are published separately. There are some, like the very good 'Language Practice' series by Michael Vince (Advanced Language Practice: With Key, Intermediate Language Practice: With Key, First Certificate Language Practice: With Key, Elementary Language Practice: With Key) that put vocabulary in a separate section at the back. This book, however, incorporates the vocabulary section in each unit.

There are fifteen units covering different topics, such as Modal Verbs, Passives, and Determiners and Pronouns. Each unit is laid out in the same way, which mixes thorough explanation with practice. Let me give you a typical example:

Unit 7 - Adjectives and Adverbs
Entry test (how much do you know about this topic?) - 1 full page
The Basics (a full page of explanation with four subheadings)
Sections 1-3 (each section deals in more detail with the topic with a full page of explanation followed by a full page of practice)
Vocabulary Sections 4-5 (each section deals in more detail with the topic with a full page of explanation followed by a full page of practice)

To save you counting, Unit 7 is 12 pages long. That is a lot of detail.

And it's the kind of detail that my clients demand.

What I particularly like about it is that fact that it tackles areas that 'students should already know'. For example, I have several French clients who still have problems with 'this' and 'that'. This area can normally only be found in Elementary and Intermediate grammar books, which is no good for my clients; this book deals with it at a much higher level.

I also have an Indian client who has some difficulties with one particular aspect of British English when compared to Indian English: Indian English tends to use the continuous form for many verbs that British English would consider to be Stative. This book has a whole vocabulary section on this which he found very useful.

On top of all this, there are highlighted 'Watch Out' paragraphs which point out danger areas and common mistakes.

This book tough for learners. But for those who want to both learn and teach in a more traditional way to understand complex (but still useful) British English, this book is a must.

4.0 out of 5 stars Valuable grammar book, 15 Mar 2010
A lot of exercises and useful english expressions. This book is appropriate for those people having already a good coomand of the english language.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent for CAE and CP or for advanced learners., 2 April 2005
I. Gultekin - See all my reviews
This book is excellent for preparing yourself to all advanced level exams or if you want to learn English to advanced level. There is a answers at the back so it`s good for self study. Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very good learning book, utterly useless workbook, 20 Mar 2011

It stresses the need to know much overused cliches and allows one so much freedom in answering and filling out clozes while actually requiring a very specific answer (according to the key that is to say). It doesn't test one's understanding of English, it only tests the student's knowledge of the most common phrases. If you're after a workbook, which constitutes a whole half of the content of this one (!!!), buy the official CAE/CPE papers rather than this.

Don't ask why the raven is like a writing desk and expect one to answer '42'...

5.0 out of 5 stars Grammar and Vocabulary for Cambridge Advanced and Proficiency:, 2 Jun 2009
Excellent book, well presented and easy to find what your looking for. Clearly written. Certainly not boring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for advanced learners willing to pull their socks up., 22 Sep 2014
Let me put it simple: one of the best books for advanced learners around.

Now, if you are willing to read a bit more, let me take you through my personal experience with this marvelous nugget. I bought it about a year ago and started to study it right out of the gate. I met with frustration and despair. I'll be clear, my level was quite good (B2) but I wasn't ready to get down to serious business, that's why I left it aside while I went for easier, more entertaining books while it remained stacked in my bookshelf, literally covering in dust.

A month ago I decided to shake off my ghosts and take the bull by the horns, so I started again from the very beginning, half a lesson a day, being thoroughly attentive and brushing aside frustration every time I made a mistake, in the end correcting mistakes is the best way to learn grammar rules and vocabulary.
The exercises are demanding enough even for advanced learners, mostly based on Part 3 of CAE and CPE, so you'll soon get acquainted with gap-filling, rephrasing or cloze texts. As a preparation for these exams they must be quite handy (I haven't had the pleasure to test it out myself), but in general they offer a hard intellectual display that will probably lead you to measurable improvements in your language skills.
Taking a look at the content we soon realise the book focuses on grammar, starting off with future tenses and modal verbs to study several problematic areas: adjectives, noun and verb agreement, verb complementation, etc. I was skeptical as to these areas, especially because I was good at grammar and these didn't seem as a big trouble to me, however once I dived in I soon change my mind: there are some many detail and niceties which normally escape our attention I was shocked as to how little I knew. Definitely aimed at gaining real proficiency, now that’s the book I was looking for.

The vocabulary sections are secondary and they don't even attempt to hide it. For each lesson, two sections are devoted to this. You may find better choices if you want to specifically tackle this, but the book offers a good deal to keep you occupied for a quite a while and grammar sections also include advanced vocabulary or expressions, so you will learn as you go along. If your range of vocabulary is not particularly wide already you'll have to write down many words you'll come across.

Overall, I believe my review makes no justice to what this book really stands for: fluency, proficiency, precise language, call it what you like, truth is few books in the market live up to what they lure us into believing but this one really stands out for a double-edged idea: simple layout, complex content.

A must-have if you want to kick it up a notch with your English! As long as you are ready to sweat...

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, good value, 23 Feb 2014
This is a great book English students (advanced) to improve English skills. Great for studying or just for consultation.
It is great value for money.

3.0 out of 5 stars good book but not easy to read, 16 Jun 2011
The reason I bought this book is because I was preparing CAE exam by myself at home. I needed an advanced grammar book and hoped the book could help me to improve my grammar and my friend told me this is a useful book. That's why I bought it.

It does include quite a lot of advanced grammar. Basically it's a good book. But I have to say the layout is not so good. Too many things cram into one page, it's just not easy to read. And the explanations is not clear, sometimes it just make me more confused. I still want to study it from the beginning to the end. But if you don't have time or if you don't to spend too much on it then that's not the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 13 Feb 2014
This is probably the best companion for evryone preparing CAE or CPE Cambridge Exams. The best point in my view is that it covers a large area of English language in use both in grammar and vocabulary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good to test your English., 29 Jan 2014
I bought it because I was thinking about trying the CPA... I haven't done it yet, but I enjoy grammar. Recommended.

Grammar and Vocabulary for Cambridge Advanced and Proficiency: With Key