5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed, well laid-out and much more than just 'useful'...
Published on 17 July 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars Primer?
This is a..very heavy book not at all like the primer I used at school. I have a Latin O level and still found the book too technical.
Published 17 months ago by 2005basilh

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed, well laid-out and much more than just 'useful'..., 17 July 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Kennedy's Revised Latin Primer (Paperback)
A marvellous book - I have used it since starting Latin, aged 9, until now, at university. It contains (almost) all the grammar and syntax that is needed at my current level (it is certainly more than sufficient at GCSE/A-Level standard), and all the information is laid out in a very logical and easy to follow manner. One small moan, though, for A-Level use and beyond; the syntax chapter at the end of the book is not overly explanatory, and generally lacks information on the origins of the construction under discussion. For this, may I recommend E Woodcock 's "A New Latin Syntax", which provides for all that Kennedy is missing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for latin geeks, 2 Mar 2008
J. Bell "Latin Geek" (Horsham, W. Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kennedy's Revised Latin Primer (Paperback)
This book, though traditionally explored first at AS-level (at least at my school) was given to me for christmas the year before by my scout leader, who is another latin teacher (though not mine at the time). It is perfect for getting down a good deal of what one needs to know, and has saved my life - before it, I could never decline a noun! If you are the only one in your class with a copy, then you are particularly lucky, as it has a certain appeal to it that real geeks will understand - I'd know, I am one!

With regards to the actual content, it is an excellent book for quick reference, particularly for nouns, pronouns, verbs and the like - all the things that you can learn orally, e.g. Bellum, bellum bellum, belli bello bello etc.

One small thing that I ought to note, is that the language can be a bit hard to get round in the way that things are worded, but if that doesn't faze you, then you're all set!

A great book for all True Latinists - get it!

4.0 out of 5 stars beautifully readable, 30 Nov 2009
This review is from: Kennedy's Revised Latin Primer (Paperback)
For a few years I ditched my Kennedy in favour of a Gildersleeve and Lodge, the reason being that I wanted a better grasp of sequence of tenses in oratio obliqua when reading Cicero, but now that I'm over that hurdle, I'm back with Kennedy, which is so well written that you can read it at bedtime!

4.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for Latin students, 17 Feb 2011
Discerning - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Kennedy's Revised Latin Primer (Paperback)
This is an old book but it is invaluable if you are studying Latin. It covers so many areas that it will not only help you to understand Latin but it will also educate you in English grammar at the same time. It has approximately 22 chapters plus appendices that include cases, tenses, sentence structure, declension et alia. It will take you from GCSE to A level but most of it will be difficult for the GCSE student to grasp, initially. You will need a good standard of English to understand the terminology. It is a book to dip into rather than to read from end to end due to the amount of information that you will need to absorb and it lacks the feelgood pictures and layout of today's modern texts but you will need to put yourself into that ancient mindset anyway!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good old Kennedy, 24 Oct 2006
This review is from: Kennedy's Revised Latin Primer (Paperback)
Frankly if it wasn't for our Kennedies then my prose composition class would be stuffed. If your looking to find how respublica declines, this is the book for you; its not always in depth, its not always fully comprehensive, but like a classical Ronseal, it does exactly what it says on the tin - it primes, and then some. In short, buy the book if you use latin, even if only for the frankly hillariously bad "Rhymes" at the back - "To nouns that cannot be declined / The Neuter Gender is assigned". Classical comedy gold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive Latin, 4 Sep 2010
This review is from: Kennedy's Revised Latin Primer (Paperback)
THE definitive guide to Latin grammar; some say it's a bit outdated, but this is Latin after all - it's not getting any newer! There is quite possible nothing Kennedy does not know. Perhaps not the most universally accessible, it is nevertheless comprehensive and does not brush inconsistencies under the metaphorical carpet like other grammar books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes me back to school days, 21 July 2011
Jane Baker "jan-bookcase" (Somerset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Kennedy's Revised Latin Primer (Paperback)
I've read so many books recently which contain Latin phrases and I'm so rusty it seemed a good idea to reach for an old Latin Primer. Having misplaced my own I was forced to buy one. It has revealed just how much I had forgotten but I am getting so much enjoyment from dipping into this - the best of all Latin Primers. Everything I need and will need is contained within its pages.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kennedy's Revised Eating Primer, 7 Jan 2012
This review is from: Kennedy's Revised Latin Primer (Paperback)
God! How I hated this book 50 years ago when I was a schoolboy. A difficult text with which to come to terms (and I speak as someone who has known it from infancy) but it is, probably, still the best introduction to Latin grammar. First published in 1888, here it is, in print 124 years later. It must be doing something right.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth getting, 30 May 2013
This review is from: Kennedy's Revised Latin Primer (Paperback)
A great classic book. It met all my expectations, despite the olden format, which students of Latin probably expect from a tome with such longevity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the Job, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Kennedy's Revised Latin Primer (Paperback)
Useful to all who need to brush up the Latin they leant long ago at school. A standard work of reference.

Kennedy's Revised Latin Primer
Kennedy's Revised Latin Primer by Benjamin H Kennedy (Paperback - 1 Jan 1965)
14.50