Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 April 2006
The analysis of the peoms is not superb. Adequate, but nothing so profound that I'd buy this knowing the actual POEMS are not included, which is what I bought this book for. I figure if they're going to publish a book of analysis, they may as well include the poems (as quotations were from the Duchess of Malfi in the same series).
Personally I found Cambridge's Contexts in Literature 'The Great War in British Literature' much better, providing great amounts of social, political and literary context, as well as a fair amount of novel extracts, poems, letters and essays AND advice on how to approach and write about texts. Seriously, that book teaches the subject better than some teachers I've had. Buy that : )
on 4 June 2009
The York Notes series continues to be the leading range of GCSE and A-level study guides. If you are a GCSE student this will be invaluable for your coursework/exam preparation, as it covers all of the poems in the 'World War I' section of the AQA poetry anthology. Covering language, structure, form, style and context, amongst other useful exam information; the guide also offers a summary of each poem and some advice on how the poems can be compared. Essential book for students, and a competitive price on here.
on 12 July 2009
I buy a lot of York Notes books for my studies, and sometimes not for studies just to help me understand as they are usually really good! However, this one isn't one of the best. The analysis is adequate and nothing i hadn't already got, and the reason most buy York Notes is to find things they hadn't noticed etc about the poetry. It is a good basis on a lot of the poems that needed to be covered for my A-level but nothing great.
on 12 May 2004
I have used quite a few Yorks Notes books for books i have been studying and i have found each one very useful in writing essays and with helping me to gain a better understanding of the books. This is a useful book as it analyses poems from a wide range of poets and helps make them easier to understand and analyse.
on 16 December 2013
This was I ordered for my sister for her A Level English, and she got an A, what more is there to say! Arrived promptly and in a new condition as described.
on 31 July 2013
As always these notes are helpful for students to find information they need quickly and easily. Very good for all.
on 11 May 2005
I felt like a bit of a twit for buying this when I'm no longer at school; I don't have to study poetry. Although I would encourage people to buy this even if they aren't studying for their GCSEs, it isn't as in-depth as I'd maybe hoped. Although it serves as a good introduction, if you're looking for a bit more in-depth coverage of the poems, I'd recommend looking outside the pages of this manuscript. Good simple explanation of the history of the war, though.