4.0 out of 5 stars Good. Somewhat complex to the non mechanically minded.
This book was the set text which was on the compulsory purchase list whilst I was studying at university, though not cheap, it was one of the best books I bought whilst at university. Two years on, and the book is still being put to plenty of use in the world of work. This book is an excellent buy for any Aerospace, Civil or Mechanical engineer.
Published on 12 Feb 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars Set Text for Fools
This is a terrible terrible book. I know it's a set text for a lot of courses, especially at Queens Belfast, but it's awful. I assume the only reason it's a set text is because the authors lecture at QUB and those royalty cheques are really needed.

Published on 16 July 2009 by G. Boyd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good. Somewhat complex to the non mechanically minded., 12 Feb 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Mechanics of Engineering Materials (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars As usual, students mistake learning with passing!, 15 July 2010
This review is from: Mechanics of Engineering Materials (Paperback)
I was apalled when I saw this book has three stars. Please, let us not misunderstand a few things here. Every book has a level of complexity, hence people should start at their level. When I bought this book four years ago I wasnt able to follow anything in it. But I didnt complain about the authors not explaining, I realised I needed to study the fundamentals a bit. So I went for a statics book (vectors mehcnaics for engineers), I revised all the chapters there for a few months. I also covered the dynamics section but if you arent into it it might take you month and might not be very useful for mechanics of materials if you dont study dynamical systems anyway. Then I got Gere's book on strength of materials and NOW, I can follow this book by Benham et al. and I can assure you it is very well written and has many interesting things in it, if you are indeed interested of course. I understand that people giving this book less than four or five stars are students trying to pass an exam by revising a few days or weeks before the exam. In that case, I admit this book is not for you since it requires that the student knows something and puts some effort. If you want to pass exams, do what I did, simply go though past papers and semi memorise the answers. That is not learning and says nothing about how good of a learning tool a past paper is, but simple helps you pass an exam. This fact is what makes me deeply mistrust the current educational system. Also, note this book doenst have the title Introduction like some misleading books have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good to supliment, 11 July 2009
This review is from: Mechanics of Engineering Materials (Paperback)
i wouldn't say it is the easiest book to follow at times it can be a bit confusing. It helped to compliment my own course notes but i wouldn't say it is a replacement. If you can i would get from your library or find some where to get it cheap because i wouldn't say i got the money i paid worth out of it

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 29 Jan 2014
Li Rui - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mechanics of Engineering Materials (Paperback)
it is good but it would be better if there is a CD included solutions youknow, it would help a lot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Set Text for Fools, 16 July 2009
G. Boyd - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mechanics of Engineering Materials (Paperback)

If you want to pass your Statics course then take good class notes and buy a copy of Shigley's. This is so badly written that it will only confuse you more.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit confusing if you are not into mechanics, 14 Mar 2010
Luca Degasper (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mechanics of Engineering Materials (Paperback)
I had to buy this book for my university course, apparently it is considered a very good textbook but it might be a bit confusing if you are not into mechanics. Especially if you are a student like me, I suggest you buy a book which explains things in a clearer and simpler way.
I agree on this with almost all my coursemates!

Mechanics of Engineering Materials
Mechanics of Engineering Materials by Dr C.G. Armstrong (Paperback - 11 Mar 1996)